Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 7th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Puppy Always Jumping and Biting Me

My 14 week old puppy is always jumping on me and biting me. I tell her off and push her down but she just keeps going. Also, I can hardly ever pat her. As soon as I try to touch her, she bites me. I know she's just a baby and she's very playful but it would be nice to pet and cuddle her without being chewed on. The weird thing is that she doesn't behave this way with my husband. How can I get her to "respect" me?
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM

Bump because i would also love some opinions on this. In my case, i am the husband he listens to, but my wife has a lot of trouble controlling him. 4 mth aussie shep / border collie cross with more energy than a nuclear power plant. My guess is that i'm the one who does most of his training, spending at least 4 hrs a day practicing sit, stay, leave it, drop it, etc etc. Whn he hears my voice, it's immediate obedience, but when my wife tries to get him to do something, he wont listen snd she gives up, which i think is teaching him that the bad behaviour is okay when i'm not around.

My wife is stubborn and has never had a dog before. I've had many and i'm finding it harder to train her than the pup! This might make me sound like an a-hole but i love them both so much and i just want to help!
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Does your wife, use the same "tone" you do. Because if she dosent...pup isnt going to respond. She has to use a firm, i mean it tone with pup. Sometimes "treats" help just for the BEGINING and she can wean them out little by little. A firm "sit", treat, good boy. Then she can work her way up as you have. Because if pup only thinks it has to listen to "dad" , its going to be hard to handle when older.
Old October 5th, 2011, 12:24 AM

This isn't about respect, your pup just wants to play with you
Nonetheless, you should work on the nipping.
Give your pup lots of play time with toys and plenty of good things to chew. Practice positive basic obedience with her. A tired pup is a good pup.

When you play with her and she jumps/bites you stop giving her attention. Stand up, turn away, end the game, just for a few seconds till she calms down a bit. If she keeps trying to nip/bite leave the room and go where she can't follow. Come back in a minute and try again. She will learn that play is conditional on her not making contact with your skin.
The "off" probably isn't working because negative attention is still attention. She probably thinks its part of the game.
Old October 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybubbles65 View Post
My 14 week old puppy is always jumping on me and biting me. I tell her off and push her down but she just keeps going. Also, I can hardly ever pat her. As soon as I try to touch her, she bites me. I know she's just a baby and she's very playful but it would be nice to pet and cuddle her without being chewed on. The weird thing is that she doesn't behave this way with my husband. How can I get her to "respect" me?
A jumping mouthy puppy is normal. He is just seeking interaction with you. Teaching the dog not not jump is simple, you can start by removing yourself every time he does it. This has nothing to do with respect, it is a miscommunication between two species.