Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 14th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

oh Mr. President

So, I think by now everyone knows that the president has chosen to go through a breeder, rather then adopt a dog from a shelter or breed rescue. Yes, Mr. President contribute to the pet overpopulation, instead of giving a homeless animal a home. I thought at least he was going to adopt an animal from a shelter, even if it is was only for a PR issue, but no he didn't even do that.

Lost a little respect for him because of it.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; April 14th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I share in your disappointment, but I am hopefully he will think about getting another dog which will be from a shelter.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:05 PM

ACO22 I totally agree and I am very disappointed too.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Skylar's Farm

I heard that the dog was a gift. He had already decided on a Portie pup.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Sometimes we cannot even persuade a family friend or family member to adopt an animal in need.

Chin up everyone. Even though we are all disappointed, this will blow over as all other things in life do.

Hope this 'gift' is a good fit.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

when they deem it time to spay their pup as responsible pet owners do, then hopefully it will teach others to follow their example, I think so far they have done wonders (from a canadian stand point) their organic garden, having kids help with it, I think you'll see that with them owning a pup and being in the public eye will help change the attitude of fly by night pet owners. But I was dissapointed they didn't go to a shelter.
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I'm happy his family has gotten a dog, I'm happy he didn't get a designer breed, and it's a decision that's been a long time in the making for them. If they chose to get a dog from a breeder then that's a decision they have every right to make.
Until laws are changed regarding spaying, neutering, byb's and puppy mills, there are always going to be dogs and cats in shelters. There is NOTHING wrong with supporting responsible breeders.

That's my feeling on the matter.

Cindy
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
when they deem it time to spay their pup as responsible pet owners do, then hopefully it will teach others to follow their example, I think so far they have done wonders (from a canadian stand point) their organic garden, having kids help with it, I think you'll see that with them owning a pup and being in the public eye will help change the attitude of fly by night pet owners. But I was dissapointed they didn't go to a shelter.
Bo is reportedly already neutered.
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
If they chose to get a dog from a breeder then that's a decision they have every right to make.
Until laws are changed regarding spaying, neutering, byb's and puppy mills, there are always going to be dogs and cats in shelters. There is NOTHING wrong with supporting responsible breeders.

Irresponsible or responsible breeders, they have one goal and that is too make a profit. At least spca's spay and neuter their adoption animals before going home. In hopes that it will curb the pet overpopulation and have less unwanted animals. Most responsible breeders have it in their contact yes,if they owner can no longer take care of the dog, they ask that you contact them and give the dog back. However, also have in the contract not to spay or neuter. Why, one of the reasons, I am assuming is that just in case that dog is given back, the breeders still have an opportunity to breed that dog.

And also, you know how many pure-breds actually end up at shelters throughout the world. Many, many many.

Another thing. Responsible breeders are almost nil. Even the ones that you think are responsible are not. Trust me, even ones that are part of offical world wide reputable clubs, etc. It's scary...you never know what is out there.

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; April 14th, 2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

oh thanks lavender rott, I hadn't seen that...well good!! *L*
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I hear you ACO. What can we do about it? My last Shep was from a small responsible breeder. She did not breed all the time. She loves the breed and stays in touch with all the dogs from her litters. She has not had any litters in 2008 and will have one in 2009. Her contract does hold a neutering, spaying clause and she will give you $100 back when you show proof of same. What I love about her is that she does not take your money and run. She is in our lives even though we do not have any of her pups anymore. She also donated to the GSRT. Very rare for a breeder to give to a Rescue. Especially German Shepherd breeders.

Even so, having been in Rescue for approx 6 years now, any pets tht I have will come from a Rescue.

What about Animal Control, when they get rid of animals, they do not have them fixed?

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:18 PM

ACO22, I sincerely disagree with this statement:

Irresponsible or responsible breeders, they have one goal and that is too make a profit

It's simply not true. Infact I would not even begin to put someone who breeds for profit in the same class as a reputable breeder. Good breeders are out there, they are just not easy to find. Stating that all breeders have the common goal of money is an outright lie and a horrible stereotype....It certainly does no service for the current state of dogs.
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Irresponsible or responsible breeders, they have one goal and that is too make a profit. At least spca's spay and neuter their adoption animals before going home. In hopes that it will curb the pet overpopulation and have less unwanted animals. Most responsible breeders have it in their contact yes,if they owner can no longer take care of the dog, they ask that you contact them and give the dog back. However, also have in the contract not to spay or neuter. Why, one of the reasons, I am assuming is that just in case that dog is given back, the breeders still have an opportunity to breed that dog.

And also, you know how many pure-breds actually end up at shelters throughout the world. Many, many many.

Another thing. Responsible breeders are almost nil. Even the ones that you think are responsible are not. Trust me, even ones that are part of offical world wide reputable clubs, etc. It's scary...you never know what is out there.

ACO22
I hear you and you are correct on many counts. I also know that there are still responsible breeders out there and again they are put into one lump pile just as rescues are or shelters for that matter. One can ruin it for everyone, but we must not loose sight that even though you nor I would go to a breeder, we cannot say that all breeders are bad either.

Personally - I would always go to a shelter or rescue for my companions...always did and always will.

My concern goes beyond this dog (I seriously wished he got a mix breed) - is this going to boost the popularity of this breed and thus entice someone to start milling these dogs???? I venture not to even imagine.
Old April 14th, 2009, 02:48 PM

I was disappointed that they didn't pick somthing out from a city shelter but essentially they wanted a breed that is not common and there aren't really any in shelters (on petfinder at least). Whats done is done, no point in fretting about it. I just hope it doesn't ruin the breed, thats the only thing I'm worried about, should have got a hienz57 so no one knew what was in it. But with the concerns of the daughters allergies picking somthing not known to be allergy friendly could have gotten dicey because the President isn't allowed to give his dog up for adoption.
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:27 PM
Doggie Wench

Bo was given up by his first family and returned to the breeder. Makes me feel the breeder is at least responsible enough to ensure one of his/her pups didn't end up at a shelter/rescue .

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...HFmPwD97HSRD01
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

What I heard on the news,the pup was given as a gift from senator Kennedy,who owns several Portugese Waterdogs.
I can't see him being a breeder,but who knows
Old April 14th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
What about Animal Control, when they get rid of animals, they do not have them fixed?
I work for a Humane Society and yes all of our animals are fixed before they go home.

I work for one of the best Humane Societies in the province. And I am not just saying that because I work there. Our shelter goes beyond for every animal that comes through our doors. Whether domestic, wildlife, live stock, exotic. We work with Toronto Wildlife center, the Owl Foundation, a rehab center in Welland, as well as brees rescue groups. Even ferals are given a chance and aggressive animals are worked with. We go great lengths to hopefully save and give them a second chance. I knew that this was the HS that I wanted to work at. Took me 5 years to get into here.

And we don't euth for cage space.

ACO22

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; April 16th, 2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old April 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM

From what I got....Bo is the brother to one of the Kennedy dogs. He was owned by one family who couldn't handle him, given back to the breeder and Kennedy stepped in and thought he would be a good fit for the White House. Also, according to the news....Obama has given a "very good" donation to his local SPCA. Also....our own MP Baird has given a donation to a HS in Toronto area????? So, it's not ALL bad....

Bo is neutered, Bo has a loving family..... and he is one GORGEOUS puppy!!!!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Owned by goldens

Oh Mr. President

One of his kids is allergic so they wanted a Portugese Water Dog. While I am sure PWD are sometimes dumped at the shelter I would imagine it doesn't happen all that often and when they are dumped there is probably no history on the dog so there is always the possibility of it being mixed. The only way to guarantee a purebred PWD is to get it from a breeder. It is my understanding that this dog was returned by its original adopter and then purchased by Ted Kennedy as a gift for the Obama children.
I am very happy for those children. They are going to need a companion they can talk to when thing get difficult.
Old April 14th, 2009, 07:27 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBoo View Post
Kennedy stepped in and thought he would be a good fit for the White House. Also, according to the news....Obama has given a "very good" donation to his local SPCA.
Ditto on both counts BusterBoo. And Coppperbelle is right , this breed must be hard to find in shelters and rescues.

At least he considered it and made a donation.
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Kitty pimp

yeah yeah
rich relations may give a crust of bread or such
you can help yourself, but dont take to much
mama may have
and papa may have
but god bless the child that's got his own
that's got his own bread

billie holiday
Old April 14th, 2009, 08:15 PM

I agree with Frenchy and others, I hope their happy with the new addition.

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu

Last edited by MommaKat; April 14th, 2009 at 08:16 PM. Reason: better sense making :)
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Irresponsible or responsible breeders, they have one goal and that is too make a profit. Most responsible breeders have it in their contact yes,if they owner can no longer take care of the dog, they ask that you contact them and give the dog back. However, also have in the contract not to spay or neuter. Why, one of the reasons, I am assuming is that just in case that dog is given back, the breeders still have an opportunity to breed that dog.

ACO22
I can understand why in your line of work you feel the way you do, but you have obviously some grave misconceptions about a lot of the responsible breeders out there and you've never met the 3 I've got my dogs from over the years. These people don't make money at breeding, they live like paupers, slaves to their dogs and loving it.
They all rescue kees and take back dogs they have sold regardless of whether they have been spayed or neutered. Most are sold as pet quality puppies initially, so why on earth would they not expect them to be spayed or neutered if returned? There are an awful lot of great breeders out there, so to say that most are bad or irresponsible is in itself irresponsible. You see the millers and the byb's and the results of their activities, not the people who truly love their breeds and live for them.
You can't force people to get their pets from shelters, but if they make educated choices to begin with, at least their pets aren't going to end up in one either.
I applaud the first families choice and I hope they get to enjoy their little bundle of fur for many years to come.
I saw him on TV last night, he really is an adorable bundle of curls.

Cindy
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

CLM - she feels the way she does because she is exposed to alot of garbage. Seeing the worst becomes routine. ACO22 will find balance when she is ready - but for now she deals with more than you can imagine I gather.

Give her some slack as she is entitled to her opinion as well.
Old April 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Kitty pimp

well sorry they could have found a pound dog if the looked hard enough i am sure

i do hope they enjoy bo and i am sure they will love him
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

ACO22

I am so happy to hear about your Humane Society. I wish they were all like yours.

There are so many good things that go on, but we only here about the bad things. Thank goodness there are wonderful people like yourself working for the animals.

Keep up the good work

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
ACO22

I am so happy to hear about your Humane Society. I wish they were all like yours.

There are so many good things that go on, but we only here about the bad things. Thank goodness there are wonderful people like yourself working for the animals.

Keep up the good work
I second this sentiment.
Old April 15th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
CLM - she feels the way she does because she is exposed to alot of garbage. Seeing the worst becomes routine. ACO22 will find balance when she is ready - but for now she deals with more than you can imagine I gather.

Give her some slack as she is entitled to her opinion as well.
If she quotes me then my opinions will be heard too.

Cindy
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
If she quotes me then my opinions will be heard too.

Cindy
Indeed but she was polite and non confrontational. Now I rather just stick to this topic but since you posted, I will respond.

Back on topic with my thoughts....hopefully this breed will not be bastersized by BYB's, millers and such. I keep thinking about the 101 dalmations, Hooch, and of course the American Bulldog in one of those shows.

I think Jim Hall summed it up well...had they searched long enough they would have gotten a little one that NEEDED the help.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Indeed but she was polite and non confrontational. Now I rather just stick to this topic but since you posted, I will respond.

Back on topic with my thoughts....hopefully this breed will not be bastersized by BYB's, millers and such. I keep thinking about the 101 dalmations, Hooch, and of course the American Bulldog in one of those shows.

I think Jim Hall summed it up well...had they searched long enough they would have gotten a little one that NEEDED the help.
I was no more confrontational than she, difference to you being that I am not of the same opinon on the subject as you.

I understand unfortunately that there have been a lot more inquiries about the breed since they have got this pup. It is bound to inspire some byb's into action and maybe even a few new designer breed spin offs. That's one thing I like about the breed I have, relatively obscure. Even during the dog shows on TV you might just get a brief glimpse of one.

Cindy