Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 22nd, 2006, 08:26 AM

TO at Global!

So I was in the Global pet food store in Vaudreuil yesterday and there it was, TO dog food! Not sure if any of you Montrealers want to drive out that far but it's a lot closer than driving to Ontario (it's about 30 mins West of Montreal). Anyway, the price for a large bag of Ocean Blue was $73.99 and the Bison one was $76.99. Just thought I'd pass that along!
Old December 22nd, 2006, 01:25 PM

Cool! There's another Global in Pointe Claire, so maybe they have it too now. Thanks for the heads up!
Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM
-

If one Global has it then they should all be able to get it.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 05:45 PM
Performance Spaniels

Has to also be the store owners choice. My local one said she used to carry it, not enough interest and she doesn't want it back.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:14 PM

Can anyone special order it for you guys? There is another feed store near me I went to and generally asked if they had TO, she said no but she could order it and have it in every 2 weeks for me.
Old December 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
Performance Spaniels

I didn't realize my close pet valu would order me solid gold products. They didn't stock them.. Other places might, but they sold it for more than I was picking it off the shelf for at Global..

Not sure I even want to know what a bag would cost to have them order it in if it was a choice..
Old January 10th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrohloff View Post
So I was in the Global pet food store in Vaudreuil yesterday and there it was, TO dog food! Not sure if any of you Montrealers want to drive out that far but it's a lot closer than driving to Ontario (it's about 30 mins West of Montreal). Anyway, the price for a large bag of Ocean Blue was $73.99 and the Bison one was $76.99. Just thought I'd pass that along!

Just my opinion and I know other don't agree, but...........

I will stick with my EVO RM for $74.99 for a 28KG bag over the Bison for $76
the price works out about the same but my dogs will get "extra meat" instead of paying that kind of dollars to feed millet and oats(grains) which do not warrant the price they are asking for the food as meat costs more than grain does, I would hate to see what they charge for the Wild and Natural

the big real differences between Canidae and TO bison formula

is TO is made with more exotic fancy ingredients whereas as Canidae ingredients are more common

They both use human grade meats but only the chicken in TO is hormone/steriod free http://www.timberwolforganics.com/s.nl/it.I/id.5/.f

where as Canidae uses only Hormone free, antibiotic free and ethoxyquin free in all their meats also their grains are pesticide free which IMO makes Canidae the truer organic food, http://canidae.com/ingredients/thefinest.html

so Canidae at $57 for a "40 lb" bag is a much better value/quality for the money, I imagine the black Forest TO will even be more costly and is much heavier on the grains than the Canidae
I feel it has recieved to much hype than it truly deserves and there are a lot better quality food for lower prices tags, when I heard all the hype I was really expecting a lot better and found it somewhat disappointing when I read the ingredients lists, now that I see the pricing, it become and even bigger turn off, it is sort of like putting gold plated bumper and mirrors on a Ford Focus and asking $70,000 for it, it is just frills it does not the car run or function any better, and serves no real purpose, so not worth the extra dollars to purchase.

Maybe worth it to those who went from a much poorer quality food to see the difference better nutition can make, but still it could have been done for less or the same but for even much better quality.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:05 AM

OG, it's not about more meat and less meat or whatever. It's about having a food with "exotic" ingredients so that we might have a chance at fixing our dogs with allergies. I can't feed chicken at all. And I can't feed barley and wheat. And Jemma got really disgusting on Evo RM. REALLY disgusting- dandruff flakes of more than 1 cm squared, even with salmon oil supplementation ($$$). So what's next? Right now, she's on Barking at the Moon, despite how I feel about the company because there is NOTHING left for her, other than raw and home cooked which I am not in a position to give right now. And Boo already can't tolerate the BATM.

So what are my options? DVP which has 21% protein and very limited ingredients, or Timberwolf, which has a slew of ingredients, none of which my dog is allergic to yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota bison
Fresh Bison Meat, Salmon Meal, Millet, Sweet Potatoes, Oats, Flaxseed, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Currants, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Chicory Root, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

PROTEIN: 26% FAT: 16% FIBER: 3% MOISTURE: 9% Kcal/kg: 3,680 OMEGA-6 FATTY ACIDS: 3.8% OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS: 1.4% CALCIUM: 1.4% PHOSPHOROUS: 1.1 VITAMIN A: 22,000 IU/KG
Fine it has more grain. And? So the dog doesn't digest it, and it passes through, and? When I buy a food, I don't buy it for the fiber. I buy it for the meat and other ingredients. Frankly, salmon meal and salmon oil are good ingredients for my dogs. They have done really, really well on them in the past, and instead of paying $75.99+ tax for Evo RM as well as another $30/month on salmon oil to try to get their coats semi-reasonable, I'd rather pay $70whatever and get the wild salmon IN the food already, even if there are grains.

So before you whip out canidae all over the place, there are a ton of dogs out there that can't go near it. And this is the food we look at instead. We would look at the Canidae lamb and rice, but being that there are less than 4 ingredients before the first fat and that increases the risk of bloat, we choose not to take that risk.

I don't know.. I guess I'm just tired of being talked to like I'm a moron for liking a food when my options are so limited.

Last edited by Prin; January 11th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
Old January 11th, 2007, 01:11 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Dog food is tough. each person has their own reasons for purchasing what ever brand they buy.
I would idealy like to get EVO RM but there is none here, none for MILES the only thing here is EVO. dont know why they carry some but not all?
I am happy with raw, and i know that others are against it, but as far as im concerned im never going back, ( unless i absolutely must)
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:10 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Quote:
I don't know.. I guess I'm just tired of being talked to like I'm a moron for liking a food when my options are so limited
No one is calling you a moron. As a third party looking at this topic, She is giving her opinion on the two foods. No different then you giving yours. I suspect its more so frustration on your part Prin, and I can understand that. Having a pup with a single allergy is a pita, having two with many allergies is down right cruel to you!

I must say though, you women get so moody

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_B View Post
I must say though, you women get so moody

Moody? We are NOT MOODY! Sorry, just kidding, I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant and moody is my middle name these days, my poor husband.

Anyway, I agree that TO is a very high priced food. The original post was intended to let others in the Montreal area know that it is now available in Quebec. I wasn't suggesting that everyone should switch their dogs to it, my guys are on Canidae Lamb and Rice and will stay on it because they do well on it. I do sympathize with Prin though, I have a dog who is allergic to chicken and it is incredibly difficult to find foods without some form of chicken in them. Many of the Lamb formulas have either chicken fat or eggs. I have had all kinds of suggestions from people about what I should and shouldn't feed him, but at the end of the day it is I who has to pick up the mushy poops and clean up the bile barfs when he's on a food he can't tolerate. That's enough to make anyone moody!