Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 26th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Lucy's daddy

How can I stop the excessive barking?

Ok, Lucy has started to bark her lungs out when she's not getting attention.

I have tried ignoring her for as long as one hour sometimes, but it's just way too damn loud and she just doesn't give it up.

after about 10 minutes or so she starts sounding as if she's getting crushed under an 18-wheeler! it's funny the moment I look at her or play with her she's all happy and sound!

One interesting thing is that she's not really bored. She's got lots of toys to play with, a lot of chewy stuff to bite on and she's got me right by her side. I work on the computer all the time and can't pay much attention when I'm programming.

Other than ignoring, what's the best way to stop this?

Last edited by Soroush; March 26th, 2006 at 02:36 AM.
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:34 AM

I recently moved to a small apartment and Toby is busy getting used to the different noises from the hallway, which he barks at. I have found that calling him to me just as he lets out that first sound and saying good boy, Toby then putting him into a down/stay next to me (at the computer) helps a lot.

Your situation does sound different, but you never know!
Old March 26th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Exercise -- tire her out. She's telling you that she needs something so see if taking her for a walk does the trick. A tired puppy is a happy QUIET puppy.
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Lucy's daddy

Thanks for the replies guys. Today I took her out(it's Sunday!) and made her run like a horse for two whole hours! All she did was run, drink water and pee!

As for myself, let's just say there's hardly any energy left in me!

Then I made her do some basic tricks for treats and she seemed to be tired at the end as she was laying down and not listening anymore!

I just brought her home and I can't believe it! she's running around the house like crazy! Her barking has reduced but she's a ball of energy!

I've given up! She barely weighs 3.5 lbs and I have no idea where she gets all this hype from. I hope spaying her helps this cause.
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:41 PM
-

I have a problem with Chase. He barks whenever he`s in the truck. He`s in the back with Logan and barks his fool head off. Sometimes he`s just standing there barking right in Logan`s face. I`m hoping he`ll outgrow it (he`s 8mo) but I have seen older dogs do the same thing. Any suggestions???
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:00 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Welcome to puppyhood!!! It'll stop in about 1 1/2 - 2 years!
Old March 26th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor

how can

Why not considering getting her a playmate, they'll wear each other out rather than you. 2 (or more) dogs have always worked well for me .
Old March 26th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Lucy's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet
Why not considering getting her a playmate, they'll wear each other out rather than you. 2 (or more) dogs have always worked well for me .
In my situation I don't think that would be fair. I don't see myself being able to handle 2 dogs and financially I'm not that comfortable taking anything away from Lucy to spend on another dog.

Plus I live in an apartment. Lucy's race-track around my living-room can't fit another one in it! I think Lucy will break the world-record for the fastest lap around my living room by the end of the year!
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:32 PM
-

Quote:
jesse's mommy said: Welcome to puppyhood!!! It'll stop in about 1 1/2 - 2 years!
Was your answer for my problem with Chase or Soroush`s problem with Lucy or for both of us?

I can`t imagine another 1 to 2 years of this. We have a canopy on the truck and people still turn their heads when they hear the barking....it`s just soooo embarassing!!!
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush
Ok, Lucy has started to bark her lungs out when she's not getting attention...... Other than ignoring, what's the best way to stop this?
Lucy is young, eventually she'll learn barking AT you isn't going to get her the attention she wants, and remaining quiet will. I think ignoring will work, but it takes time - by ignoring, REALLY ignore her - fold your arms, look at the ceiling and walk away. no eye contact, no talking to her, nothing. But I think it's important to reward the calm, quiet behavior, also. When (if) she's at your feet, laying quietly, reward her.

you can also start to teach her ENOUGH. (or whatever you want to call it, "quiet", "no bark", etc) associate the command with the action, and reward....bark, bark, bark.... ENOUGH!....... the moment she stops barking = treat! praise! best dog ever!
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Should I expect for this to work with a 9 wk old puppy any time soon? Hunter will bark his lungs out in his cage during the day now... or in a pen... with or without toys, with or without food. We feed him only in the cage and we don't punish him by putting him in the cage. If we are leaving somewhere or it's night time, it gets under control pretty fast... but when we are home (say cleaning, for example) it's unbearable. The howls really DO sound like he's getting run over by an 18 wheeler. Please, someone let me know if I should expect this for another few weeks (or months or years) or actively start working to do something about it now. So far all I do is ignore him until he quiets down, THEN we let him out.

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Hunter is just a wee pup, be mindfull of that. I don't think anyone can accurately estimate how long your dog will bark, howl, cry, etc... weeks, months... it really depends on the training you put in, the relationship you build, your routine, and what he learns about the howling.

can you tether Hunter to you while you clean? (not for vacuuming/mopping, but picking up, doing dishes, etc.. )

as for howling... I have a basenji... they sound freakishly like human babies when they cry. so much so that when I first got Tucker at 8wks, we crated him at dinner time (because I can't eat and chase a pup around the house)....I dropped my fork and RAN to my livingroom when he cried... sounded like an infant (and i don't have a baby! scared me!) but that was the one and only time I went running to the rescue for the screaming... as you're doing, I waited for that split second of calm, then he was let out to have fun. He got it fairly quickly - but at 9 wks, he did make a good amount of noise.
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:13 PM

It's difficult because he'll play tug of war with whatever you have in your hand. He'll also put all sorts of things in his mouth that can be dangerous. We try notto have him in all day while we are cleaning - my husband and I will work together to get everything off the floor within the first hour, and then we'll take turns playing with him while the other one is doing something else, then we'll put him back in for less time...

Today the issue was that my husband had to pack all his military bags for deployment, and he's carrying around... 60 lbs worth of camo luggage (and whatever he's supposed to have in there). He couldn't see hunter running around the floor and was afraid to step on him or drop a bag on him. So he put him in the crate while I helped him do what he needed to do as fast as we both could. Well, Hunter objected!

But we're patient with him because we know he's a baby. I was just wondering at what age do most dogs calm down, if at all.

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhass1129
So he put him in the crate while I helped him do what he needed to do as fast as we both could. Well, Hunter objected!

But we're patient with him because we know he's a baby. I was just wondering at what age do most dogs calm down, if at all.
absolutely.. if you can't supervise Hunter, he needs to be in a safe confined area. Too bad for him if he objects. Just keep reminding yourself, it's better than him getting into REAL trouble while you're busy. and they do calm down... don't worry. 9 wk pups are handfulls! but adorable.....