Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 17th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Can Anyone Help

Hi, We have A 11yr old dobbie who is the love of our life. Last week she started limping on her front leg,and a day later we noticed an almond sized lump on the side of her leg by her knee. So we took her to the vet.We were treating her and thinking it was a cyst or something . The vet told us she doesn't think it is because it is too hard, and wants to do x-rays. So tomorrow we are taking her to get x-rayed. I have a feeling that our vet is leaning towards a growth that may be cancer. We are very concern and have been searching the net on bone cancer and anything that sounds like what our girl has.
I found this forum in my search and was wonder if anyone had a similar experience or any info. I want to have as much info as I can, so I know what I am dealing with when the vet tells me what she finds. Thanks
Worried owner
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

to here about your pup I know it is hard but don't think of the worst wait for the vets findings.

Your doing the right thing bringing him to the vet your a great mom and like all moms you worry about your baby, so my fingers are crossed in hopes that you get good news.

Sorry can't help with any info just wanted you to know I'll send positive vibes your way
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

There are many people on this forum that have gone through similar situations. You can do a search on this site on cancer and see what comes up. that all goes well.
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Coopers mom

best of luck to you and your baby!!

we all know how these silly animals become the center of our universe and love of our lives....

every one on this site is very friendly.... and are understanding

keep us updated
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM

Thank you soooo much for your kind words . It really helps to know other people care. She is our We have had her since she was a wee little pup.
To think of life with out her is ..........too heart breaking.
Old February 17th, 2006, 03:35 PM

That really sucks. I remember being told my 8 year old dobie wouldn't live too long because his heart was too small for his body. Then at 12, we were told he wouldn't live more than a couple of months because of Wobbler's disease. He died at 13...

Dobies are plagued with so many health issues. When I was younger, the average life span of a dobie was 7. Now, I think it's around 9. I think no matter what they have, they have such big hearts that they last way longer than any other dog would in the same situation. They live for us and my dobies only went to the bridge when we were ready. They gave us warning, and waited until we wouldn't completely, totally fall to pieces.

Dobies are amazing.

Good luck. I hope the news is good.
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Our worst fear came true today.!!!!!!! It"s not good. The X-ray showed osteosarcoma bone cancer . We have very heavy hearts today. It is a very bad cancer. Even if we treat it with chemo and have her leg removed she might make it six months, but it would be a very hard six months on her and us . So we are treating her for pain relief and have one month to give her as much love and comfort as we can . This is sooo fast , it is breaking my heart!
She looks just beautiful and sharp as ever with a limp ??????? I don't know what else to say "just in shock".!!!!!! & Pray For Bella
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM

:love: I'm so sorry for your news... but you have time ahead to love and enjoy each other. Try to stay positive and we're here to support you.
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:17 PM

I'm sooo sorry to hear about your baby. I know you'll make her last month memorable for both of you.
Old February 18th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I'm so sorry to hear this news. We are here for you.
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:59 PM

I'm so sorry for the bad news! Poor doggy! Poor you! Aw, this is terrible. I'm glad you're opting to make her as comfortable as possible instead of trying drastic measures that probably would have made her suffer more... Good luck with everything.
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM
Owned by goldens

Can anyone help

I am sorry that the news couldn't be better. A little over a year ago I lost my Belle to heart failure. I didn't have time to prepare and our goodbye was done quickly to ease her suffering. It is never easy to lose a beloved pet. Try to enjoy what time you have left together and when the time comes know that we will be here to share in your sorrow.
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I too am sorry about the diagnosis. My heart goes out to you. Enjoy every moment you have together.
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Thank you

Thank you so much for all your kind words . It is nice to know that other people care about animals as much as we do . This is not an easy time for us, we can't seem to take our eyes off of her ,fearing that time has gone bye .Reading your posts has given us comfort knowing people care about our girl.
She has touched many lives with her wet nose , she is very special (as all dogs are to their families.) Too met her is too love her. For people to take time to care .... It really means alot . Thanks

"I am new & When I find out how to post pic of my girl I wil"
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I'm so sorry Dobbie, I know you'll make the most of the time you have left. Take as many pictures as you can and give her hugs for all of us

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03