Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 7th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Question Sixteen year old cat with open sore

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. My sixteen year old white cat developed a growth just below her neck two years ago. The vet wasn't sure if it was cancerous or not, and suggested surgery. Because of her age, and the fact that she has asthma, we decided to take a wait and see approach. One year ago, the growth fell off, and since then it has been like an open sore. I treat it twice daily with an antibacterial agent and cream, then bandage it so she won't scratch it. It doesn't appear to be getting any worse. The vet still says all they can do is surgery to remove it. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and threated it naturopathicaly or homeopathicaly. Please respond if you know anything that would help.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I think the vet should at least do some kind of microscopic examination to find out what you're dealing with. Is it an ulcer? Does the cat have any other symptoms (fever, etc.)?
I'd stop using the cream for a few days and try just bathing it lightly in hydrogen pyroxide 3%, available at the drugstore, and don't cover it afterwards. If the area is continually moist, that would hinder healing, IMHO.
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Queen

I think they should have done a biopsy on the growth to tell you if it was cancer or not. I'd definitely try to find out what is causing it before going ahead with any surgery.

If it can dry out a bit and look like it is on its way to healing I might then try vitamin e or aloe on it as well, maybe she could wear a cone for a little while to stop the scratching while it gets some air?