Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:25 PM

??preg. kitty??

ok well i have a small concern or question about my cat. our cat lily had her kitten yup only one in oct. well we thought we had enough time to get one of our other cats fixed before he could get her preg. again unfortunately not the case and she is about 8 1/2 - 9 weeks along now her kitten was still feeding from her so i can't tell if she's lactating... the swollen nipples well it never changed i think that she should be ready any day and since idk when she got preg. i dont know when i have the week it happened i think but other than that i'm lost.... when she had her kitten before she really didn't act much different until couple hours before and it was really quick... i guess i'm sort of worried that i'm not going to know when she'll have her kittens or if her kitten nursing would effect it at all... so if anyone has any advice or thoughts about it please let me know
thank you
cori
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by corilaurel View Post
ok well i have a small concern or question about my cat. our cat lily had her kitten yup only one in oct. well we thought we had enough time to get one of our other cats fixed before he could get her preg. again unfortunately not the case and she is about 8 1/2 - 9 weeks along now her kitten was still feeding from her so i can't tell if she's lactating... the swollen nipples well it never changed i think that she should be ready any day and since idk when she got preg. i dont know when i have the week it happened i think but other than that i'm lost.... when she had her kitten before she really didn't act much different until couple hours before and it was really quick... i guess i'm sort of worried that i'm not going to know when she'll have her kittens or if her kitten nursing would effect it at all... so if anyone has any advice or thoughts about it please let me know
thank you
cori
Gestation is 63 days so....get ready. Your male cat was still fertile for a few weeks after being neutered.
If a female cat is not spayed, they are either in heat or pregnant. Has she seen a vet...ever?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM

yes she saw a vet right after her kitten was born we were fearful that there was more. the cat that wasn't fixed isn't a concern we found him a really good home, fixed and happy.
so her kitten nursing isn't going to cause a problem is it?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The current kitten will hog the nipples and not allow the newborns to nurse, so the imminent litter may very well be a catastrophe. So, wean the older kitten and remove it to a part of the house where mama will not be able to hear them readily. Make sure the mama is in a quiet draft free place with no other cats around to distract her from the business at hand. The mama will need at least a week to get used to her surroundings and whatever birthing box you provide.

And as soon as these new kittens are weaned please get mom fixed for her sake.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:12 PM

that was the plan to have her fixed when the kitten was weaned like i said wedidnt realized that he was ready to do that or he would have been right there with our other male cat getting fixed lol
lily stays in our bedroom that's where she had her baby natasha and i think for the most part she's weaned it's not all the time she only nurses about once every couple of days and i think it's more of a "woobie" thing
so if i put lily in our room all day too like i did today what do i do about her trying to get out she doesn't want to be in there without me or another cat
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:28 PM

oh one more thing that i dont know is why her tummy looks like it is contracting but she doesn't seem to mind maybe it's not contracting but it gets really really hard then relaxes
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:04 PM
I'm a softy

ok oh dear.. please up that kitty's nutrition... good quality canned food.. a female cat goes into heat again very soon after having kittens. Usually if a female cat gets pregnant she will start weaning the kittens herself, and get angry at them when they are bearby, getting up and moving when the kitten tries to latch on, ect.. is your cat doing any of this? Sometimes they will still nurse because the kitten is so persistant they give up, you need to wean that kitten before the new ones arrive, but she probably will not let that first kitten anywhere near the babies let alone to nurse. If she is not then you must seperate. but again please this cat is going to be drained, please up her nutrition asap, and give lots of treats, let her eat when she wants.... good luck.... after the babies arrive try and get her fised as soon as you can do so...
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:05 PM
I'm a softy

and are you sure she is 9 weeks along? then she should be having the babies... uhmm today?
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
I'm a softy

so yeah.. she probably is contracting.... is there any discharge comming out from behind?? she will loose the mucus plug, then active labour will start, if it is getting hard and then relaxing she is contracting, soon it will change to her kind of pushing when she contracts. she may pant, and act nervous. If she has been preggers the eintire time while nursing she may have some real small kittens, keep an eye on her and the car warm for a quick getaway to the vet just in case.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM

she eats good there is no question in that i go through a bag of kitten food every two days between her and the two lil ones... she doesn't pull away she just lays there she was a late feeder i had to help her learn to nurse her kitten when natasha was born so she might not be sure what she's supposed to be doing i dont think she's the brightest cat but she's my cat and that's all that matters... we are assuming that she got pregnant the week before thanksgiving or at very very latest the weekend before so idk i'm giving her til mon i think that's a fair call what about her tummy doing the tightening thing
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:17 PM

no no mucus i didn't see that the last time either lol idk she acts different than any other cat i've been around when they are having kittens she wants me right next to her all the time and if i'm not she wont sleep but right now she's sleeping again not a normal behavior but nothing she does in normal lol
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM

how much longer after she loses her mucus plug will it be before she gives birth? and why wont she let me leave the room
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

If you're worried, why don't you have a vet check her out? Especially if she's fearful. Unless she's normally clingy, it might be an indication that things aren't quite right. That's what I would do. Yes, birth should be 'normal', but sometimes it isn't.
Old January 25th, 2009, 01:25 PM

oh no she's always by my side she's like a lil puppy following me everywhere... who long after losing her mucus plug will it be.... her last kitten was really fast
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by corilaurel View Post
she eats good there is no question in that i go through a bag of kitten food every two days between her and the two lil ones...
Dry food is not the best choice for cats. Like lUvMyLaB<3 suggested, maybe you can give both her and the others some canned instead?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 25th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I'm a softy

I would give her canned only, she needs the moisture right now. after the mucous plug.. just hours, you should see the short little squeezes change to longer,and then pushing with each one. can u feel the babies moving inside? I was going to just ask if she has produced milk.. but I guess in this situation, that wont help.. MY guess is that when she is about to give birth, you are going to notice her becoming VERY grumpy with that older kitten, watch for that, along with her nesting, and panting and seeming stressed, or overly affectinate. I have had a wholelotta litters born here, vets always call me if their own home is already full
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:12 AM

i'm not sure what's goin on i think she's going to the vet today it's been trying with her her and i have been locked up in a room for a whole day her water broke yesterday and i was told that she'd be ok as long as she has the babies before this afternoon she hasn't been grumpy with the older kitten actually the other way around and she maybe be stressed out everytime i leave the room she freaks outso idk whats going on i'm getting a lil scared
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Glad to hear you are taking her to the vets. I hope after this litter you will be getting her spayed. There are far too many unwanted kitties in the world as it goes.

Please keep us updated on her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:42 AM

that was the plan after the first litter but dont ya know one of our male cats was ready before she was... anyway what am i supposed to do with her i can't take her til after my kids get out of school
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Have you gotten your male neutered since this "incident"?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:01 AM

yup we have no worries now after she has her kittens... just trying to get through this
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I'm a softy

ok remember that she will go into heat very soon after she has a litter. Yeah if water broke, that means the sack around one of the kittens, now has no fluid, so it is important that she labours soon, the kitten in that sac may have had a bowel movement by now also, it will be greenish, and smelly, it is important to clean anything of that kittens nose and face. asap, so that none gets breathed in. hopefully that kitten will come head first not butt first so the ariway will be sqeezed and drained... the chance of infection for your cat is going up if she has not delivered any yet, it is abnormal to take this long, especially if she has had litters before, she may have a large kitten, going to the vets is good, make sure you tell them how many days she has been contracting, hopefully she will not need a c-section. Are you keeping the babies? Do you have friends that are willing to take them? try anything to not do the "kittens to give away" add...

Take care, update us, been thinking about your kitty, hope everything is well. WATCH for her to be pushing... if she is pushing with her contractions and not making progress, that is something to worry about, if that carries on too long, you may not be able to wait until your kids come home.. good luck!
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM

she doesn't even seem to be having contractions i'm going to call the vet to see if there is anything i can try to do to get her started... as far as getting to the vet before my kids get home that's not even an option my wife works til they get home and i dont have a car our vet is the closest vet around and they are 10 miles away.. but i'm going to keep trying to get her to have them any suggestions she's covered up sleeping on my bed and everytime i leave to go pee she meows loud and wont settle down til i come back... i'm not trying to sound insensitive to her needs i just can't get there til later and i'm trying to make the best of it she's my baby and i dont want anything to happen to her.. as far as the kittens we have homes for most of them and i think we are keeping one i'm a sucker for babies lol
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm a softy

so those squeezes she was doing have stopped altogether??? so are you SURE that was amniotic fluid you saw come out?
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I'm a softy

that you may just have the dates wrong and she hasn't started labour yet.. should go on for days.. sometimes if they are stressed, animals can stop their labour, but if a sac is broken already it is worrying that she is not in any labour.... the risk of infection is going up.. and likely that a kitten will have a first poop already..
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:00 AM

i'm pretty sure it was her water it was a light brown fluid a lot of it and if she "squeezes" more comes out thicker. is there anything i can do to help her right now
she's eating lol
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:01 AM

could me leaving the room be stressing her enough to stop labor?
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm a softy

i doubt leaving the room would stop her, so she is pushing then? light brown? like does it look bloody???
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I'm a softy

is there a lot? it can be normal to have some bloodish discharge, if it is real brown, then yeah a kitty may have pooped... ok so she is pushing??? if yes, then she should be pushing with each contraction, it should be within hours of this beginning to see a kitten, when she pushes do you see a nose or a tail yet?
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM

ok so she just started pushing about 15 min ago and she wnet into her cage so i'm hoping that this will pick up.... the fluid is light brownish clear but cloudy does that make sense i dont see anything but fluid so far when she pushes... this part i'm used to it was the other stuff that had me confused
she's pretty good about getting the kittens out the first litter(only one kitten) went really fast about 4 or pushes so i'm hoping we can do the same this time but iknow there are more in there this time ill keep you posted thank you all for your help