Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Exclamation Worried about Little Loki

I'm not sure if this is against the rules as I read the rules and didn't see this question listed as an issue,but does anyone know a good Vet in Montreal Quebec who works on a payment plan?? If not does anyone know if the spca offers help with medical affairs?

I think my Cat Loki has tape worms, as it looks like rice when these worms dry up. I read that over the counter medicine is ineffective for tape worms. I'm using food-grade diatomaceous earth at the moment because it killed his fleas that gave him worms, but I'm not so sure diatomaceous earth would be as affective on his tape worms even though I have read it is.

He's only a year and four months old, I really want to see him 100% again. please any help and advice is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for your time,
Eve & Loki
Old November 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Agility addict

A tape worm pill for my dogs costs 6ish dollars from my vet.

You could call your local vet and ask if they know of any low cost clinics, also call your local animal shelter they might know.

Starting a savings account would be a good idea. Medical emergencies pop up. ITs part of owning a pet.
Old November 15th, 2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
A tape worm pill for my dogs costs 6ish dollars from my vet.

You could call your local vet and ask if they know of any low cost clinics, also call your local animal shelter they might know.

Starting a savings account would be a good idea. Medical emergencies pop up. ITs part of owning a pet.
We actual just got him and were in the works of starting a savings plan but I guess not soon enough. I was thinking about pet insurance. Do you know if that is a good option and if so the best company for him?
Old November 16th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Willing cat servant

You're right broad spectrum parasiticides usually don't get rid of tape worms. I had 2 fur babies Paki and what do you know Loki! (which later on had a million other nicknames) who gave me a hard time with warms when they were kittens. It took 5 attempts, letting time in between advised by the vet and for their digestives systems to recover and I couldn't get rid of the thing. And I started with broad spectrum parasiticide for regular worms.
The pills the vet gave me for tape worms finally worked and I don't remember them being too expensive but I do perfectly understand and can relate with how you feel or I should say fear the vet's bill (been there before)

We have pet insurance here for our cats. Once Scully got sick with something mysterious that lasted like 10 days and ended up being a really bad case of furballs in the end it all added up to about $600 and we used the insurance claim, they covered 80% of it (which is a relief) and the money came back to us in about a month. We pay about $29-30 monthly for plan 2 and the company name is Petsecure. So far they seem to be serious and I didn't have any bad experience when I needed them and the plans seem to be affordable.

I hope your Loki gets better really soon and gets rid of those warms

Tags
help wanted, montreal, tapeworms in cats, worms