Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 24th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Detoxify

So I put my boston terrier on Evo food (red meat) it's one I haven't tried yet. My question is if you take your dog off bad food and put her on a good quality food, I was told not to panic that she will go through detox stage. Has anyone ever experienced this, about how long should it last. She has only been on it a few days. Her skin on her belly is very irritated. Her mouth has been scratched alot. Yes I know about allergies and do not suspect food allergies. Been through the whole process, I just want to feed her as best I can.
Old February 24th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

personally, I think it's best to switch gradually over a few weeks. slowly adding the new food to the old food, to wean off the old. are you doing this, or did you switch over all at once?
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I did it over a few days. I spent a long time with a dermatologist and we came to the conclusion it's not a food allergy.
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

a dog dermatologist? and "what" isn't a food allergy? the red irritated belly? sorry, i'm just not familiar with your situation. what was your dog on before EVO? you may of switched too fast if the foods are dramatically different, i.e. going from a grain based diet to a grain free high protein meat diet. it's always easier on the system to go very slowly. in any case, has the irritated skin been evaluated by a vet? (again, sorry if you've posted this, i'm not familiar w/ your situation)
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry you don't know the whole story. This has been on going for a year. Yes a dog dermotologist. She has also been on Atopica. It made her sick. I have sprays for her skin and drops for her ears and special shampoos. Believe me we have spent a long time at the vet's. She was on prescription food and it was time to get off that after hearing how horrible it is. So I'm feeding her Evo, since trying several others in the past. I wanted to know exactly what the experts mean by she'll get worse before she gets better. It's a stage of detox. I do not want to resort to steroids, but may have too. She is only 1 1/2 years old, this started at 6 months. Probably spent 1,500.00 at the vet as well. She has a beautiful coat still, but scratches her sides, belly, mouth. Does not chew her feet. My local vet is shaking her head. She had a base diet of fish, it was a bit better. Do I stick out the red meat Evo for 12 weeks or should I try Orijen, the new grain free fish food. I have tried raw food, but have not tried to cook my own yet. Sorry guys if the story is getting old, I want as much advice as possible.