Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 15th, 2004, 05:53 PM

La Perm Cats

I believe the last fact is the most interesting.

La Perm Cat

Weight: 7-9 lbs.

Color - The LaPerm comes in all colors and patterns.

Coat Length - The LaPerm comes in both Shorthair and Longhair coat length. The Longhair coat will have a moderately soft, springy coat texture standing away from the body in ringlet type curls or waves over most of the cat. The longest curls are on the underside of the neck and at the base of the ears. Both males and females can have a full neck ruff. The curlier the better. There are very few guard hairs, however the thicker and heavier the coat the better. Shorthaired LaPerms do not have the ruff or a plumed tail.

Eyes - Any eye color is acceptable. Eye color hhas no relation to coat color.

Appearance - The LaPerm is medium sized, curly coated with semi-foreign type. All parts of the body are in harmony with the size of the cat. There is evidence of surprising weight for size. The cat is alert and seems to be walking tall on his feet.

Personality - The LaPerm’s coat does not mat easiily and it is considered a low maintenance breed.

Breed Fact - The original LaPerm was a barn cat named Speedy.
Old September 15th, 2004, 06:31 PM
banned user

What happened to the other thread?
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:00 AM

You can't advertise commercially on this board.

FYI
I sent an email to the cattery as discussed last night with the questions I had posted. In the event I get a response I'll share.
Old September 16th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Upon further internet searching, I stand corrected.

The first La Perm was a farm cat named Curly, not a barn cat named Speedy. This should make all the difference in the world to the 11,000 homeless cats on Petfinder.

I think its one more fad breed, that will be bred recklessly to overpopulation chosen so that some human can show it off and feel special - oh that is until it scratches the furniture then it will be dumped back at the farm to fend for itself where it all began.

Pardon my thorough lack of excitement.
Old September 16th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

If this breeder doesn't have positive replies to your questions concerning health standards or showring championships, get ready for a flood of abuse in your mailbox.

You never know - you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:46 AM

La Perm Cats

I feel sorry for the breeder who got blasted with your e-mail, especailly since her thread had nothing to do with advertising
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

celinew, this "breeder" started a thread here ONLY to advertise and sell her cats, which is considered spam and is against the board rules.

If someone is an ethical breeder, they should state why they are.
Old September 16th, 2004, 12:11 PM

Lucky Rescue you must be psychic!
It appears that I don't even have to visit my email as it has been publicly displayed here in another brand new thread.

I also find it interesting that Celinew is a brand new poster who just happened to post at the same time the La Perm breeder posted. One would almost think they are the same person.
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:06 PM
banned user

Quote:
also find it interesting that Celinew is a brand new poster who just happened to post at the same time the La Perm breeder posted. One would almost think they are the same person.
Hmmm, interesting.
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

And now the other thread with the breeder's reply was removed as well.

My personal opinion--I agree with Cflat. Her email to this breeder was asking honest questions, and in no way was it rude or slanderous. The breeder's reply, however, is definitely a concern. She immediately went on the defensive. And it's true--how can someone who has worked extensively, as the breeder said, with the SPCA, contribute to the population of cats?! There are so many that need homes in shelters. Someone here (not sure who it was) once said that all breeders should stop breeding until all of the shelters are empty. Only then should they start breeding again.

GRRR!!! People make me mad. No wonder I love animals so much!
Old September 16th, 2004, 01:32 PM

Its unfortunate that the breeder's thread is gone as she did not reply to my email as I checked. I would have liked her to see my response to her post/reply.

I would like to apologize to the board if anyone thought I was being antagonistic towards the breeder. It really was not my intent but wanted to know what a breeder's motives could be other than money. I have a hard time accepting breeding of any animal when there are so many without homes. I was not trying to be rude, but hoping to open an eye to the huge pet overpopulation problem to those who seem blinded by the almighty dollar and their self declared triumph through "furthering" the breed.
Old September 16th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
It appears that I don't even have to visit my email as it has been publicly displayed here in another brand new thread.
I missed the whole thing, and don't know what you wrote

And don't apologize. If a breeder is advertising, you have every right to ask for information about those breedings.

An ethical breed would welcome questions and be proud to list his/her accomplishments as far as titles, health testing, etc. I know I would be, if I were breeding.
Old September 16th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Well, I did see her reply to Cflat's e-mail. You're right, LuckyRescue - there was nothing wrong with Cflat's quesitons - they are exactly the kinds of questions you're supposed to ask a breeder when doing your research. The breeder's reaction to the questions was uncalled-for. Cflat, you have nothing to apologize for.
Old September 16th, 2004, 04:28 PM
banned user

I can't believe she posted your email... that is so rude!
Did you see Celinew's thread? She deleted that one too?
She didn't have enough nice things to say about La Perm cats and the breeder who posted.
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:38 AM

I would have liked Martine from the cattery to see my reply - I thought it was pretty good . I thought about emailing her but anything I say would fall on deaf ears anyway. Nuff said.