Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:50 PM

Question Just met my Dashound

Well, I just met my little dashound today. We aggreed on a visitation first to see how he acted with my children. Aged 4 years and 7 months. It went great.
I was just wondering some things about his breed though.
Whenever I went into the washroom, if he wasn't in there with me whinning, he would be scratching at the bathroom door and whinning.
Also, he would follow me whereever I went in the house. I don't know if this was nerves or because he met me through his "mommy" or what. It's cute and all. Just that my kids are getting jealous. Lol.
Also, I was told by the doggie's "mommy" that he still needed some teaching on house training. He peed twice on my floors. Not a problem for me to clean up, but jus tthat my little on is crawling now.
How do you go abouts house training a Dashound?
Whats the best food for this kind of dog?
How often should you take a dog for a walk? I did it three times today. Once in the morning, once shortly after lunch, then once again around supper, then the "mommy" came to get him.
Thanks everyone. Oh yeah, here is a picture of him. His name is Peter and he is 7 years old, I think.
Attached Images

Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:57 PM
cat slave

omg he's the one from SPCA montreal??

he's very cute
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:58 AM

Congrats!

For the best food for him... What was his fosterhome feeding him? You'd have to get a bag of that first and then switch him to whatever you want when he's more settled. Newer studies show older dogs need more protein than younger dogs, so you might want to go the route of Evo, Evo RM, Orijen or Barking at the Moon, if his kidneys and all are functioning well..

For housetraining.... What I've done so far with my fosters and the dogs I've doggysat was to just super praise when they go where they're supposed to. If they go somewhere else and you catch them in the act, move them to where they should be and praise.

For walks... The more the better in the beginning because that'll help with housetraining. If you wait for him to have an accident, you regress a little in training.
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:13 AM
-

For him following you, that is going to happen ! When a dog goes into a new home, he needs to built up his confidence back and will need attention. You should go on the net and research the breed too , just the make sure it's to right one for you ?
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:30 AM
Senior Contributor

You're going to have to 'train' your 4-year old along with the dog. S/he's above him in the pack, but still needs to learn how and when to approach him. I really envy you, we had daschunds when I was a child - standard black-and-tans - and they were big snugglers, always up for sleeping under the covers with us or valiantly climbing hills on those disjointed little legs. They tend to put on weight easily and are not in the least athletic, content to run around after you or fetch the odd ball.
Straight off, you need to gently work on his 'routines': where he will sleep, walks after eating, consistent housetraining (as if he were a puppy; there will be accidents), etc. If he has a bit of a routine and knows what's coming next, he will be a happier dog.
You're his mother now and he's a rescue; he will probably cling to you like a limpet at first. Can you imagine being 6 inches off the floor, adapting to a completely new environment, new smells, new voices? He just needs time, and as many kisses as you can bestow on that dear little snout.
Thanks for giving him a home.

Last edited by badger; February 4th, 2007 at 07:37 AM.
Old February 4th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you been able to determine temperament as yet? I had 2 major Alpha mini Dachshunds (loves of my life) and 4 mild-tempered Dachshunds - (at one time we had 5 Dachshunds at one time, plus the cats). Despite your pup's temperament I except he will follow you everywhere - if Alpha to protect and alert, if mild-mannered for you to do same. Please be very careful with your kids - Dachshunds like kids, but do have a built-in tolerance for how much they will put up with - and also, very easily trampled - and with the strong risk of back/neck disc disease, you sure don't want to help it along. Your Dachshund will want to sleep in your bed, under the covers. Be careful when you sit on the sofa, as your Dachshund may well be under a cushion - love to burrow. Re food, mine all had stomachs of iron so not an issue. But in speaking with people today who have new pups, they all tell me that their dogs have sensitive stomachs and mild-mannered temperaments. But since your guy is 7 you might have lucked out and have a true gourmet (gourmand) in the household. But please keep that weight under control. 10 lbs. was perfect for my guys - but it was rough going since they are the worst little piglets re food going - and we had a Beagle before my love affair with Dachshunds began - and Dachshunds love food more. Don't think because it is high on counter or on table that it is out of reach! Dachshunds are very smart. I would strongly suggest you get a harness to help relieve stress on neck. Many Dachshund owners ask me where I buy my Eskimo's stuff - actually from same company I bought my Dachshunds' stuff from - a company called Canadian Equipment - the seatbelt/harness is called Canine Friendly - and the Canine Equipment division makes great coats that fit over the barrel chest and last for years. My Eskie has a raincoat called the Cosmopolitan - made by same company - and modelled by, of course, a Dachshund. Dachshunds seriously hate being cold. One thing to watch out for will be any form of limping in front paw - that is not due to something in paw. This is first sign of possible neck disc disease. I am telling you this because it came as a heck of a surprise to us - we knew all about the back problems and every single symptom - but not about the neck - and other Dachshund parents often don't know either. I don't know what premiums would cost for a 7 year old - high no doubt, but the pet insurance plan VetInsurance covers Dachshund disc disease - as long as there have been no events - don't know if you could confirm this or not. But if dog has not suffered as yet (and 7 is not too late - my last little guy paralyzed suddenly at age 6 when I thought we were clear) and surgery only gave us 10 months. (There are a couple of stages of disc disease, not readily apparent until after surgery.) Dachshunds can live to be 16 or so, so 7 is still young. Hope you won't have to go through this, but thought I would mention the VetInsurance coverage just in case (although it was 2005 when I took out the Plan for our Eskie and just happened to learn they covered this (90% of costs - so very important). This plan did not exist when we adopted our last guy. I really hope things works out for you and the trial period becomes permanent. I could never let one go. People have tried to get me to foster a Dachshund - just can't do it.
Old February 4th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Well, he isn't a foster. He is living with his "mommy". A woman that can't care for him anymore due to her work schedule.
I was praising him all day yesterday for going outside. Espescially when he pooped outside. I even gave him a treat for pooping outside.
His temperment is great. He is really loving and cuddly. But when he seem my 4 year old daughter play hitting with my niece, he got defensive. He doesn't like things like that happening. He got angry and began barking. Which I don't mind either. Because I don't like hitting. Whether it's play or not.

For his food, I know he likes Pedigree. I bought him a can yesterday and he chowed right now.
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Dachshunds don't care for fighting - actually my guys took exception to my husband raising his voice to me! Good boys. They will bark and try to intervene. How are his teeth? Dachshunds often have poor teeth - but at 7 you should have a good idea. My last little guy's teeth were exceptional at his age 5 physical - but at age 6 he needed to have them cleaned by vet - but best teeth we had ever experienced. They generally ate dry food, but you will have to base your food choices on your pup's needs. Hope things continue well - I never made a decision my Alphas didn't agree.
Old February 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM
cat slave

i don't know if anyone mentioned, but you have to take particular care to their backs. So make sure they don't jump off the couch or the chair because their long back bends in a way that will cause issues later on.
Old February 4th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the helpful hints.
As to his jumping, I didn't know about that. I will have to be careful on that. I bought him a little blanket for the floor next to the couch. But so far, he's been with me everywhere I go.
For his teeth, I didn't see them yesterday when he was here. I will be sure to take a look at them when he comes "HOME" here in a few days. I will be sure also to get a vet appointment for him right away so I can make sure he is good.
Thanks everyone.
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

The chances of your Dachshund sleeping on a blanket on the floor are NIL!! Best cuddlers ever - and frankly you could have a king size bed and a 10 lb. Dachshund will manage to hog the whole bed. They love to cuddle and have to be right next to you at all times - so you end up hanging from the edge of the bed. Don't bother trying to sneak to another room - Dachshunds can count - you get enough time to go to bathroom and back. I would suggest a ramp to the bed and sofa - they are readily available these days at pet stores - time was when you had to make your own. Of course training a 7 year old to use it might be another matter entirely. There are steps available, but I like the ramp better - stairs aren't the best for a Dachshund, plus there is the jumping and missing a step leading to a header down the stairs. Hope all works out when he comes home - and don't forget, puppy will want to coat, sweater - you name it. How I miss my guy cuddled up under my sweatshirt.