Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Unhappy wish us luck....

My 2 Ontario Bunnies ( Tom and jerry) are going in tonight for a check-up. They've been sneezing and have very wet noses. I called the rescue ( whom i foster for) and they informed me that they lost a few of the Ontario Bunnies ( cause unknown)....I'm just worried since they've come from an abusive farm, who knows how much inbreeding and bad genes have been passed on.....wish them luckand that it might just be allergies to my cats
Attached Images

Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

and for Tom and Jerry! I hope it's just allergies! They sure are cute little Dudes!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

From one Gerri to another Jerry - things are ok!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 3rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Pietra,I did not even know you had bunnies too,they look adorablehopefully nothing seriously wrong with them
Old July 3rd, 2008, 04:09 PM
-

They are so cute and I love their names.

Sending lots of good wishes for their vet visit.....I hope it isn't anything too serious.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Senior Contributor

They both have upper respitory infections. They are now on antibiotics. The vet was very patient and knowledgeable. She took her time and showed me how to administor the meds. I had to do it with cats, dogs, but never rabbits. They both need probiotics for their tummies in the morning followed by their meds in the after noon. I need to dilute the meds in apple juice because aparently it has the most vile taste in historyLord, the things I have to do...aw well, it could have been worse.
Thank you hazelrunpack, chico, 14+,rainbow for you good thoughts.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

just saw this...glad the bunnies turned out ok. They sure are cute.
i could never have rabbits my cats would probably eat them. Hope they get better really quick.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey Magic, I have 5 cats and these rabbits outweight them and outsize them by a longshot...these 2 sweeties are still up for adoption...if you're interested
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How did the first dosing go, cpietra? Did they cooperate?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Hey Magic, I have 5 cats and these rabbits outweight them and outsize them by a longshot...these 2 sweeties are still up for adoption...if you're interested
hehe my bf would kill me! plus i don't have room live in a third floor apartment they are cute though i wish..

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Well....the first didn't go too well. I think I am wearing most of the probiotics....I hope they settle my tummy too....since its the only tummey they got into.....these bunnies are very strong..especially their back legs...and I have scars to prove it...never knew I could get out so much blood from one arm
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Well....the first didn't go too well. I think I am wearing most of the probiotics....I hope they settle my tummy too....since its the only tummey they got into.....these bunnies are very strong..especially their back legs...and I have scars to prove it...never knew I could get out so much blood from one arm

Can you wrap them in towels? Holy cr@p!

that it gets easier!!

Old July 4th, 2008, 10:28 AM
-

Cpietra - don't know if you have tried but when we have to give Daisy her eye drops or cut her nails we find that by laying her on her back in your arm leaves them basically motionless It works for us, also at the shelter this is how the girls administer their meds.

Tom and Jerry look like New Zealand Whites, we used to have one called Peter (how original). A lot of farmers who raise meat bunnies have NZW because they are big rabbits :sad:
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, Chris they are NZW....and very heavy.The vet tried the unside sown thing and it didn't work very well. they are very strong and the towel thing is an option too.
I was fostering a Rex before these 2 guys and they are monsters next to Thumper...cute but pleasantly plump...heavy, huge and wicked back legs...
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

wow....don't think a rabbit is quite as docial (sp) as i first thought lol. I get enough blood lost from the cats let alone a rabbit hehe.

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:02 AM
-

Maybe then a double header, wrap in towel and lay on back, I think that will work
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:41 AM
-

I just saw this thread , upper respitory infections ? Does the vet know why or how they got it ?

omg giving meds to bunnies I would use a towell to wrap them up .... good luck cpietra16
Old July 4th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Pietra,I do not understand why someone out there cannot make good tasting meds for pets,just like they do for kids.
There certainly is a market for it.
I hope they'll do ok and you too
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico...I asked them the same thing. I am giving them meds that should be injected so the taste apparentle is vulgar....I asked for help and the said I should mix it with apple juice..I mixed it with Carrot juice instead....but alas...they still refused to open their mouths and their back legs did quite a number on my arm...again...
Old July 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Cpietra, sounds like a 2 person job. Can anybody help you hold them down? I agree the towel and on their back is probably best. My bunnies were always used to laying on their backs to get their toe nails trimmed so that would work for us. I assume you're using a syringe. Could you put the meds in their water dish maybe, but then I guess you don't know that they're getting enough. What about really long leather gloves - I use them for my beekeeping to protect my arms, bought them at the hardware store. Other than that I'd say maybe you'll have to take them to the vet for a shot or something. Good luck and keep your peroxide handy.
Old July 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I guess I am going to be a nay sayer. I find with my kitties that are hard to medicate that it's not as hard if they are on their bellies. I put them in a football hold. Them up against my side under my arm, put my hand under their chin gently, lip the side of their mouth, pop the syringe in, and push. It's not perfect but it saves my arms a little and they are able to run off as soon as I let go.

I did find an article that was interesting. Hopefully you can find something in it that will help. I know bunnies can be very very strong. I used to have a couple when I was younger.

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/medicating.html

you find something to help.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys..I opted for the 2 person hold...I called the lady who runs the rescue and told her that she may have to buy me more meds at this rate since I am getting more meds into mt system....Well at least I'll be clear of all infections\ Anyway she was glad to come over and help....so 1 day down and 13 to go
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Chico...I asked them the same thing. I am giving them meds that should be injected so the taste apparentle is vulgar....I asked for help and the said I should mix it with apple juice..I mixed it with Carrot juice instead....but alas...they still refused to open their mouths and their back legs did quite a number on my arm...again...
Ouch!!! I hope it was the other arm at least so you're not opening up old wounds!

Injectible drugs, eh? Maybe at this point it would just be easier to learn how to inject them...

Old July 4th, 2008, 08:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Anyway she was glad to come over and help....so 1 day down and 13 to go
Whew!!! Glad you got some help!

Is she available every day?

Old July 5th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Senior Contributor

That's great Pietra,so she's coming to help for the remainder of the time.every day?
I also find small capsules are easier,than tablets,since they don't really taste anything,maybe you can get the meds in capsule form??
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:38 AM
150% PRO S/N

the rest of the meds go down smoother