Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM

Sudden excessive drooling

Hi everyone. It's been a while since I posted on here - crazy summer and whatnot. But I'm now having a problem with my dog Timber that I'm pretty concerned about and looking for some insite.

First off, he just turned 1 yr old on Saturday
We got home from the cottage late Sunday night and he seemed fine. Then when I came home from work yesterday, I noticed a small puddle in his crate. At first I thought it was pee (I was a little late coming home) but I then realized it was drool. His front paws were wet too.
This is definitely not normal for him - he's a husky. Husky's don't drool.

But I didn't really notice him drooling in the evening when I was home, so I figured whatever it was, was gone.

Then I came home at lunch today and there was another puddle in his crate. His front paws are soaked and so is his chin.
I couldn't see anything wrong with his teeth or gums, and couldn't find anything lodged in his throat. He's eating and drinking fine and doesn't seem to really have any other symptoms.

I'm wondering if he maybe got some sort of poison from licking toads at the cottage (a fun pastime for him). It also crossed my mind that this could be some sort of separation anxiety since it seems to be much better while I'm at home. But why would it be starting all of a sudden?

Sorry for the long post, I'm just hoping to find some answers for my little guy. His brother seems fine, but I'm taking them both into the vet this afternoon.
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Toad licking definately can have an impact. I would consult a vet. Is there anything else you can detect?
Old August 18th, 2009, 12:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If he's only drooling in his crate, I'd be leaning toward separation anxiety. Our Brier is the same way--he drools incessantly when he's in the crate when we're out of the house. SA can strike at any age, and the trigger is often impossible to pinpoint.

However, before deciding it's SA, you have to rule out anything medical, so your trip to the vet is a good first step!

There's also the possibility that the drooling will subside on its own--Ember had a spate of drooling when he was a pup--lasted about 48 hours and then just disappeared. He never had a recurrence and he's going on 7 now

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 18th, 2009, 01:25 PM

Thanks. We'll see what the vet says, but I hope it's just something as simple as licking one too many toads (of course, that still won't teach him any lessons I'm sure ).

As for the SA, it's a definitely possiblity too I guess. He's always been kind of a momma's boy
We have Timber and Jasper's crates side by side (and they're the wire kind, not the enclosed plastic) so I figured they'd always be fine as long as they have each other.

He does seem a little more lethargic this afternoon than Jasper, but again, it's hard to compare them against each other because Timber's always been the more laid back of the 2.

Our apt is at 3:30, so I'll keep you posted.
Old August 18th, 2009, 03:50 PM

Well, we just got back from the vet. He did a full examination and said Timber looked to be in fantastic health. So it doesn't sound to be something medical, which is great news.

He agreed that it sounded like mild separation anxiety - either from us, or from Jasper. He said that even though their crates are side by side, the fact that they're still separated may be enough to create anxiety for him, especially since we were just on holidays for 2 weeks and we were all inseparable that whole time.

So he gave me a few different things to try, and he's going to call me back at the end of the week to see if there's been improvement. If not, I guess we'll take it from there.

But I feel better now, hopefully we can do the same for Timber.
Old August 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
If he's only drooling in his crate, I'd be leaning toward separation anxiety.
That's the first thing that entered my thoughts. We left the video camera on while we left the house when Lucky suffered from extreme SA to give us a better idea of what was going on. Maybe you can try that?

Glad the vet didn't find anything physically ailing him.
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good news that it doesn't appear to be a physical problem!

for improvement!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."