Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:42 PM
<-----nut ball

I may have taken the plunge!!

Ok. I co-worker was interesting in a rescue dog and I was showing her petfinder.com...

WHY WHY WHY?? I told myself I would take a break from it because it was a little sad seeing the same guys all the time, and not finding the one I want.

Then, I found the perfect dog. Love at first site!! He's exactly what we've been looking for!! I think it is fate!

So...I sent my inquiry to the foster mom. I even included my phone number, home and work, and an alternate e-mail!! I guess that goes to show I'm serious.

The cute guy is just over a year old, already house trained, but needs obedience classes which is what we were going to do anyway. He has some allergies, so they recommend a specific food, which is nice so we don't have to fiddle with his diet at all. And the timing is great because I have a week off in October that I could spend with him getting him settled!!

I really don't want to get my hopes up though, so I'm trying to keep my feet on the ground right now...just in case someone got to him before me.

This rescue also is has a training service and lots of resources, so I hope they will be happy to work with us on this. I already have my list of equipment that I need (which I've started to put cost beside so I'm saving up the money for it). I also have a list of all vets/clinics in Brampton. I called a couple to "test the waters" (i.e. see how nice/knowlegable they are) We plan to use the one closest to our house, but have a few others in the area near us if it doesn't work out.

Oh!! (sorry, this is long) I have some questions about adoption applications. They often ask about where we keep him during the day and at night. I really don't know how to answer those questions, as i guess it would depend on the dog. For the one we are applying for, we intend to crate train him during the day, but hadn't really thought about it at night. We assumed that we would get him a bed and test a few places to see where he likes it. I know some of you are on the other end of these applications, so maybe you can offer some advice!

Thanks everyone. I will keep you posted!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I would think that they are interested in knowing if you plan on leaving the dog out at night or during the day. As in OUTSIDE. Your answers should be fine.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 03:18 PM

I hope you get the answer that you are looking for.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 03:31 PM
banned user

Congrats on your new pup! what rescue did you use, they seem to know there stuff?
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:12 PM

Oh YAY RAINGIRL!! I am really hoping this works out for you!! I know how hard you have trying to find a pup! Do you have the petfinder link to the pup? I wanna see a pic!!!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope this works out! Do you have a link so we can see this little guy too?

How long will you be gone every day? Even if this dog is housetrained, he is only a year old, and unless someone can come in during the day, 8 or 9 hours is a very long time for him not to be able to even pee if he needs to. Small dogs have small bladders and can't hold it indefinitely. Not being able to pee for long periods of time is also mentioned as a cause of possible bladder problems down the road.

IF no one is home at your house all day every day, you may just have to let him use papers and gate him in the kitchen or laundry room (if you have one) during the day until he is older. This will make houstraining more difficult but sometimes there is no choice.

For overnight, you can get him a bed on the floor, and leash him to your own bed. Or you can let him sleep IN the bed with you!

All this is, of course, just my personal opinion. I know many people crate dogs all day (and all night too) but I would not.

And if you aren't going to be out 8 - 9 hrs a day, just ignore all this!!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted and we want to see a pic of the puppy.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:01 PM
<-----nut ball

Ok. home now.

Here is a link. Am I crazy doing this. I guess it's always scary when you make make a decision about something.

Jake

I guess we will see if he fits with us.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, he's a bully!! How adorable!! Just be aware these dogs can have many health issues and I see Jake already has skin problems - very common in this breed and they are quite intolerant of heat and cold.

Did I say he is ADORABLE????
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:43 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, he is CUTEEEEEEEEE !!!!! Good luck and keep us posted!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)