Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 6th, 2005, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabitpokey
question, has anyone ever had dog teeth pulled ,say enough of them to not be a danger if they tried to bite. It isn't like Lacy would have to go out and take down a deer to survive. If I could eliminate the danger part of a bite,then there isn't any danger.
I guess that depends if it's possible to be "gummed" to death...

Another question I have is, is the dog like this with all children, or just this one child? I think that could also help in determining if this is something that can be fixed or not. Again, is it the result of a bad experience, or the dog just does not like children? I know we don't know the answer to that, but I think any solution has to revolve around that answer.
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Bugsy, and Gazoo

Thanks for the kind words! I gotta say I thought about this dog all night. It also makes me question to some degree what I have going on here--don;t kid yourself Gazoo, I feel crazy sometimes too--but I just have to take it day by day. I have also gotten her trainer in here to give his opinion, and even he agrees that this particular dog is not just going to snap. She's also not a "fear-biter" which is what I think Fleabitpokey might be dealing with--which is MORE difficult.
Both Larry (trainer) and my husband, and I of course that we will not PTS on a "maybe" or a "what if" and we know exactly what Gypsy's problem is and why--another factor that is undetermined for Fleabitpokey.

I agree that there may very well have been some incident between the dog and the baby. And I agree that your kids HAVE to come first!! Some people here might think that I am compromising my child's safety, but I assure you I am not. gypsy's presence in the house in not that big a threat, and we are quite happy to jump babygates forever. I know that soon the kids will be jumping them as well, but I also believe that you have to educate your child on how to respect an animal. Gypsy has also never bitten anyone, we have actually never got past a warning growl.That being said, I don't ignore her temperment and pretend that she's fine, I just constantly work at it, and keep them apart. It's been 3-4 months now and Gypsy knows to stay away from the babies, but she also knows tht she gets alot of treats and lovin' when they are awake and about. There will always be a neighbors's dog,my inlaws dogs(who are horribly viscious and my inlaws turn a blind eye) or cat, or a dog in the park even and if your children don't know how to respect animals...you can't PTS the whole block.

I'm not saying to tolerate an agressive dog, Ireally don't feel that I am.( I know that woulds seem strange, but if she had a physical ailment that made me seperate her from the kids, people would think I was cruel for putting her down or rehomeing her. Because she has more "mental" issues people are quick to say "get rid of her". Some might think that I am treating her almost like a human... well, to me she is.

Bu what I really wanted to communicate to Fleabitpokey was that ANY and ALL dogs, from the sweetest meekest, smallest to biggest...would have to be constantly supervised.

"Lassie" was just a movie. Life with kids AND dogs is hectic at best. but very very rewarding. And I think alot of situations are workable. Get a trainer in there with you because they are not emotionally tied to the situation. And be careful of the trainer with dollar signs for "eyes". My guy was honest enough to tell me that I shuld have improvemnt within 5-6 weeks otherwise.....
(That being said we gave it 2 months and a bit, but you get the gist of it)

Anyways, Flea, I thought of you all night, and am wishing only good things for you and Lacy. Please keep us updated and no matter how this turns out, know that we are thinking of you and are here for you.
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:38 AM

I think twinmommy, you are awesome!I am behind you 100%and support you fully in your decision! I know some dogs are nervous of little ones because they are so quick,loud,and unpredictable .What is the main thing you hear after a dog has bitten a child? "I don't know why.He/she has never acted mean etc...etc....." The potential for any dog to bite a child is there ALWAYS. The reality is most people don't have that worry or mind set.Most people think it would never happen to them with thier dog and they let thier guard down. The fact that you are aware of and even fear a potential problem will keep you on your toes and help keep the child safe.
fleabitpokey,Do you have baby gates set up to restrict the childs space? Can you seperate them often...ex: baby is playing in living room....have the dog in the kitchen with her toys,and or crate. Giving the dog treats from the high chair is a fantastic idea! No contact has to be made even.The dog will see who threw the treat!
Has lacy only shown her teeth then retreated? A dog does that to pups when she is not in the mood for play.
Ask yourself if you are willing to do the extra work to keep the child and dog safe.I don't think it is cruel to restrict the dogs areas.It won't need to be forever either.
I rehomed my dog of 12 years after my second child was mobile because my dog was in a panic all the time :sad: You could literally see the panic in the dog .For me it was an easy decision because my mom took my baby(dog) and he is sooooo much happier at her quiet home than he was with my 2 (human) boys running around.
Either decision you make will be the right one because you obviously love your dog and your grand daughter.Only you know the dogs character and your grand daughters!
Old January 6th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What is the main thing you hear after a dog has bitten a child? "I don't know why.He/she has never acted mean etc...etc....."
Thanks Rainy, sorry I was just editing my post before yours. You have an excellent point, in fact, this is why I call Gypsy my "blessing in disguise" because I also have another dog, Jake, who is your typical "angel" and he "would never..".

If I didn't have Gypsy in my life, I would have never learned so much and researched this to this point. I would have just thought I had the "perfect" dog with kids...and might have been very sorry. I would never have the set- up that I have now at home, that everyone SHOULD have.

Aggressive or not.

by the way, did I mention that you guys are great for the moral??
Old January 6th, 2005, 12:07 PM

backatcha.
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:33 PM

Schwinn,to answer your ? Lacy acts evasive around all children.When she was about 5 months old is the first time that I felt her tension with the neighbors little ones.Tried as I would,she wanted nothing to do with them.She would allow them to pet her and feed her treats,just had the feeling then that I really needed to watch her.

Rainy,I have had baby gates up since the baby was brought to me at 6 weeks.Lacy has been able to be in her life,just not total access to the baby.In fact,2 days ago Lacy chewed the moulding off the door jam(3ft.)next to a baby gate,while we were at the store.Never in my wildest dream would I have ever expected that.

twinmommy,I wish I had your resolve,of trying to cope.I have talked to a couple of rescue places to see what they thought.All were sure that I cannot make a mistake,where child saftey is concerned.I had one lady evaluate Lacy she said that I would have problems trying to find her a home,temperment,sound sensitive,age.Another man said he would only take her if I gave the group $700.,"big dogs are hard to get homes for".That really is where I stand at this point.Thanks to you all.
Old January 10th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

I cannot believe that someone demanded $700 to find her a home! That's outrageous!!!!!
Can you place an add and do it yourself? You would be amazed how often the perfect match can show up.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Me too,most people would give up.And rehome the problem to someone else.Not many homes that never see kids on the street,in the park,have kids of their own or grand kids or friends kids that visit or bump into kids in a vet office.I admire your working through the issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy
TwinMommy
I think you're amazing!
Old January 10th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
If I didn't have Gypsy in my life, I would have never learned so much and researched this to this point. I would have just thought I had the "perfect" dog with kids...and might have been very sorry. I would never have the set- up that I have now at home, that everyone SHOULD have.

Aggressive or not.