Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 6th, 2007, 11:18 PM
"Ellie Mae Clampit"

damaged pads on feet - GRAPHIC pics

Murray (boxer-bulldog mix) has badly scabbed over paws (all 4). It started mid January when he had a limp. I took him to the vet after a week of it not getting better. By that time his skin had become red and ears infected. He received antibiotics and a steroid shot. Within a week his skin on his back and sides had started to scab in patchy spots all over, hair falling out in those spots, and the pads of his feet began to grow crusty and cracking (not bleeding). My vet said she has never seen anything like his paws. They did blood work and it came back normal. He is currently on antibiotics again and I am giving him benadryl for the itching. His hair has stopped falling out but his paws look horrible. And they are painful for him to walk. Help! The vet wants to do a skin biopsy to test for Pemphigus (an autoimmune disease). The test is realatively expensive - does anyone have any information on this disease or ever seen pads crust up? Here is a pic of his paw.
Attached Images

Old March 7th, 2007, 12:06 AM

I googled Pemphigus in dogs, and I say get the test. The description sounds like his paw looks, but only the tests can confirm it so it can be treated. Maybe there's a payment plan your vet would be willing to do. Or something you can stretch in your budget.

The article said it's uncommon and infected areas can include the ears, nose, eye,, groin, and feet.

Last edited by athenamor; March 7th, 2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:14 AM
-

Owweee...that's looks painful. Reminds me of mange (check out the Rescue / Adoption forum and look for the thread on Sam-the BMD). But, I would absolutely get the test !! to Murray ~ feel better soon little guy
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Senior Contributor

There is a couple types of autoimmune diseases that could cause effects like that

But most likely is Pemphigus Foliaceus which is the most common form http://www.rr-oona.com/DLE/AI-PF-eng.html
there is extra links at the bottom of the page

A more severe form is Phemphigus Vulgaris
http://www.rr-oona.com/DLE/AI-PV-eng.html

Lupus SLE http://www.petplace.com/dogs/systemi...ous/page1.aspx

Other possibles BULLOUS PEMPHIGOID (BP)

Dermatomyositis, Uveodermatologic Syndrome (UDS)

For most the treatment will be steriods(prednisone) for life to try and control the flare ups depending on the severity cortisoid creams and other drugs may be needed. My suggestion would be to get your dog on a good quallity meat protein diet like EVO to help build up the immune system and maybe the flare ups won't be so bad
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Poor boy i would get the test done.hopefully you can get it on a payment plan.and it looks painful
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM

We just had a skin biopsy done for our dog. The procedure, test report and a re-visit for bandage change plus tax comes to under $400 CDN. It is not cheap but not out of the world. An emergency visit to the off-hour vet for suspected severe allergy/poisoning costed me more than that.
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Slave to my dog

Mange was the first thing that came to mind for me as well with the scabbing and horrible itching, but if it's not that, it's definitely getting checked out. I hope your baby feels better and is up dancing again soon
R
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:53 PM
"Ellie Mae Clampit"

You guys are awesome!

Thank you for all your kind words, information, and support. I have spoken with another vet who saw this same thing in a boxer she worked with. It turns out that the boxer's thyroid was low. With treatment the paws were almost back to normal within a week. She suggested getting Murray's thyroid checked more indepthly (his blood work came back with the thyroid as a 1 out of 4) and do a skin scraping before getting the biopsy done.

Thanks everyone! I have a call into my vet to see what steps to take next.
Old March 9th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi carolinakitten,

I feel so bad for you and Murray, it must be so painfull for both of you. I had a foster dog that had muchoid phempigus but for him it was his nose, ears, eyes and private parts that were affected. I would go ahead and have both tests done just to rule it out, hopefully your vet will let you make payments as I know how expensive these tests are.

Good luck to you
Old March 9th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

poor pup.... hopefully that clears up soon it looks remarkably painful
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
"Ellie Mae Clampit"

We got the test results

Last week Murray went in for the skin biopsy & I got the results today. Pemphigus Foliaceus is the diagnosis. I got his meds today - he's on 3 different ones.....I think I need a pill organizer for him. At any rate the vet said we should see some improvements as early as 2 weeks. I sure hope so, he is so depressed. He's always been a good eater and I am having to spoon feed him - literally. His skin on his back, nose, groin, and ears are being effected now. Let's hope he has a good response to the meds! Thank God it's treatable.
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:50 PM
~Cat Servent~

I always love to read a post after it already has a hopeful or happy ending. So glad you got a diagnosis, hope the recovery is speedy.

Do you have a picture of the rest of your doggie?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Queen

Here is some more information about Pemphigus Foliaceus:http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...foliaceus.html

I'd also be concerned about the long term effects of the steroids:http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...eroid_use.html but I guess its one step at a time for now.

Good luck, I hope Murray feels better soon.
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Live well, laugh often

Thanks for the update. I am glad that at least now you know what you are dealing with and can move forward. Big hugs to you both and hope Murray feels better fast .
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope Murray has a speedy recovery, oh boy if he is on pred you better keep the water bowl full, makes them so thirsty! to both of you
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:13 PM
-

HUGS for you and Murray. I hope he responds well to the meds and recovers quickly.
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:53 PM

sending you guys lots of good vibes! Good luck to both you and Murray!