Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 20th, 2004, 01:24 AM

Exclamation Cat wants to be outdoors

Hello.

I have a 5 month old kitten who is desperate to be outdoors. I don't let her go outdoors because I live on a busy street with very fast cars and my fence isn't very secure. I try to let her out just to give her some fresh air but it never fails, she takes off as fast as lightning and runs up a tree. One time she even went into a neighbors yard (and thankfully their dog was inside at the time). But the worst was that a few days ago she ran up the tree for about 1 1/2 hours and then jumped on the roof to our house. As soon as I climbed on the roof she saw me and jumped off. I was so scared, but she took off into the house. What can I do to stop her from running out everytime someone opens the front door? Or what can I do to train her to not run up the trees or leave the fron yard? Any suggestions would help. thanks.
Christina
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:32 AM
banned user

I don't know what to tell you, but first, I hope you plan on getting her spayed, once she goes in heat, her drive to be outside is going to go through the roof and if she does get out, you will most likely get her back pregnant (if at all)
A male cat I have does the same thing, he will try to run out every chance he gets and when he does manage it, we get him back in the house more easily now than before, and it's been about 5 years now.
You can try to train her by getting a harness type collar and leash, made for cats and take her outside that way... eventually it should calm down some. There are some people here who take their cats out with no problems, maybe they'll have something to add. Good luck.
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:28 AM
banned user

Run Free

Hi

Have you thought about getting kitty a harness and leash? that way you can take her out for a little nature walk and will feel safe that she stays near you
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I have 2 male neutered tabby cats that do the same thing. They get more adventurous at night time as their eyes adjust better to the dark. If my husband goes out or I go out, they sit at the door meowing their heads off at the door! I take them out on leashes and harnesses, but they don't move when those are on.....I feel as lost as you do guerabe.....hopefully someone has some suggestions, and if there's nothing I can do, at least I'll know i'm not alone!!
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Animal Lover!!

Hi there, we have two kitty's that we take outside, but when we first started taking them out, we had them on a harness & a leash. That way they couldn't take off. You could try that As well, spaying your kitty will help as well!
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Pretty good recovery skills by your cat! In this post, you mention your cat is depressed and doesn't want to move. Now, since this post thread was created 6 minutes after the first one, I'd say that's an amazing recovery!
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:37 PM
banned user

Hmm

Perhaps she was referring to,when kitty recovered
Old October 20th, 2004, 02:19 PM

Perhaps....hopefully I'm wrong, but the two posts don't add up right to me. Contradict each other too much.
Old October 20th, 2004, 11:47 PM
~Cat Servent~

I know...I say it over and over and over again....but string on a stick. Seriously tie a string on a dowel or stick and play with your kitten for about 1/2 hour a day. It tires them out and they feel like they get the prowling and pouncing they are missing outside. Buddy (formerly an outdoor cat) doesnt even stand at the door anymore!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdDiamond
Pretty good recovery skills by your cat! In this post, you mention your cat is depressed and doesn't want to move. Now, since this post thread was created 6 minutes after the first one, I'd say that's an amazing recovery!
sorry for the confusion...it was two seperate problems and didn't want to post them in the same thread.

This is the timeline issue.

My cat since I had her always ran out on me. I didn't want her to get pregnant and so I got her fixed (at 5 mo.). A few days after the surgery she ran out, climbed a tree, jumped on the roof and jumped off (her stiches were still in). I thought fixing her would calm her down a bit, but obviously not. Then the day she had her stitches removed, she became very sedetary and I noticed the little bubble with very saggy skin.

Now my kitty seems to do a lot better and the bubble has broken up and feels lumpy( I hope that is a good sign). Sorry that was confusing, I just needed advice about both her behavior and health, I kinda didn't want to intertwine them together just to get more specific answers to each issue. Thank you for your concern. I think I will try and get her a leash and harness....it gives me hope.

Thank you all.
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer
I know...I say it over and over and over again....but string on a stick. Seriously tie a string on a dowel or stick and play with your kitten for about 1/2 hour a day. It tires them out and they feel like they get the prowling and pouncing they are missing outside. Buddy (formerly an outdoor cat) doesnt even stand at the door anymore!

You know I have soo many toys for her and I have little bells and rats on sticks and I try and play with her and she runs to the door and crys. When she does want to kinda play it is maybe 2 minutes and she will run in my room and lay on my bed. I keep all types of toys and things on the floor, I have dangling stuff on doorknobs but she never really likes to play. The only time I see her playing is with our dog, but that doesn't last long either. She is weird. She just really wants out. Thank you, I really wish I had a good cat like yours, hopefully she will come around. Thanks.
Old October 21st, 2004, 01:12 AM

Here is another one for all you experts!

She has a habit of kneading, which I know is all right, very kitten-ish, she considers me her mamma, and since I found her abandoned and starving as a baby she obviously was taken away from her mother's milk too soon. The thing I am concerned about is that she kneads my head, and sucks on my hair every night as soon as I lay down for bed (oh and she does it as soon as she wakes up in the morning). my concern is that my hair probably absorbs pollution or nasty things in the air, or has shampoo or conditioner that remains or hairspray and I know that is bad for her and I hope it doesn't make her sick. Do you guys think this may be a problem. I have tried to get her to knead and suck on a stuffed cat I have, but she cries and it never fails that as soon as i lay down she heads straight for my head. And even when I move a little bit she cries. What do you guys suggest. I know I have so many questions but I never raised a cat and I would much rather ask than do something that would harm my little girl.
Thanks!
Old October 21st, 2004, 06:02 AM
banned user

Kneading

Oh Please dont worry about the kneading..its good for them,and shes just doing what comes naturally..I had a cat that would knead and sort of nurse on my robe and get it soaking wet....she will soon grow out of that,so dont worry about your hair etc..enjoy it,its a sweet kitten thing
Old October 21st, 2004, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerabe
sorry for the confusion...it was two seperate problems and didn't want to post them in the same thread.

This is the timeline issue.

My cat since I had her always ran out on me. I didn't want her to get pregnant and so I got her fixed (at 5 mo.). A few days after the surgery she ran out, climbed a tree, jumped on the roof and jumped off (her stiches were still in). I thought fixing her would calm her down a bit, but obviously not. Then the day she had her stitches removed, she became very sedetary and I noticed the little bubble with very saggy skin.

Now my kitty seems to do a lot better and the bubble has broken up and feels lumpy( I hope that is a good sign). Sorry that was confusing, I just needed advice about both her behavior and health, I kinda didn't want to intertwine them together just to get more specific answers to each issue. Thank you for your concern. I think I will try and get her a leash and harness....it gives me hope.

Thank you all.
Ahhh! Yes, that does clear things up a lot!!!

Your little kittie's hormones will calm down later, but 3 days after surgery is a little too fast to expect major changes. It's been a couple of months since my pup had her surgery, and I'm still waiting for her to calm down. Don't expect major energy level changes until they're full grown. Actually, if the energy level changes too quickly I'd be concerned something was wrong.

You said the bubble has broken up....does it weep? A weeping wound usually isn't good and she should probably be on antibiotics.

Kneeding and sucking is a pleasurable thing for the cats. If your cat doesn't kneed, then she's not expressing how happy she is. She probably purrs for the first few minutes of kneeding...right?

The sucking is usually a side effect of kneeding. I knew a cat who's nose would run when her tummy was rubbed. I'm not talking just a wet nose, I'm talking "drip drip" kind of running. It was absoulutely hilarious!!!

I hope your kittie is doing better! Post pictures, in the picture forum, when you get a chance!!!!
Old October 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Spaying does not "calm" kittens down. It prevents heat cycles, pregnancy and behaviors caused by hormones.

Don't know if this is something you would consider, but the best thing for her would be another kittens about the same age. They would tire each other out completely!
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdDiamond
You said the bubble has broken up....does it weep? A weeping wound usually isn't good and she should probably be on antibiotics.

Kneeding and sucking is a pleasurable thing for the cats. If your cat doesn't kneed, then she's not expressing how happy she is. She probably purrs for the first few minutes of kneeding...right?

the wound healed up very well and nothing is seeping, she has been a bit constipated though, I let her out to eat some grass, so I hope that will clear up soon. And as for the purring, she purrs the whole time she kneeds....I am usually asleep before she stops purring.

I hate taking her to the vet because she gets soo kranky but I am taking her in tomorrow just so the vet can look at it. It is soo bad, she starts trembling and hissing as soon as I put her in the car. My poor girl. But I just want to be certain it isn't a problem.

Thanks for all your help!
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Don't know if this is something you would consider, but the best thing for her would be another kittens about the same age. They would tire each other out completely!
I am a student and after our winter break vacation to Sacramento, my kitty and I were going to move out on our own. I was definately going to get her a baby kitten to keep her company while I am working/at school. I was hoping this might satisfy her instict to be a mama (I don't know if that changes after they are spayed). Right now I want her to grow up a bit, but we were definatley thinking on the same track!

Thanks!
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysts38
Oh Please dont worry about the kneading..its good for them,and shes just doing what comes naturally..I had a cat that would knead and sort of nurse on my robe and get it soaking wet....she will soon grow out of that,so dont worry about your hair etc..enjoy it,its a sweet kitten thing
Oh I don't mind it at all, I even let my hair loose and call her over to me sometimes when she hasn't been very active, just to make her happy, I was just more worried of her eating residue and stuff in my hair.

Thank you soo much!
Old October 27th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Exclamation Too Cute

Guerabe,

I must say my cat has never kneaded my head but we didn't have him when he was a kitten. Although that would make a great candid shot!!!

Suggestion for the outdoor problem...

My cat, well, we call him runaway cat because before he came into our lives he was an indoor/outdoor cat as he pleased. PLEASE BE CAREFUL LETTING YOUR FELINE OUTSIDE!!! I strongly suggest the use of a harness and lead. You can even attach the lead to a fence or something if you want to do something else in the meanwhile. Thought I don't recommend leaving them unattended long (they tend to get tangled!!!!)

But please head my warning about letting them out....My cat ran away one night (and yes we searched the WHOLE neighborhood with flashlights to find him) only to have him come back in the morning with FIV which he caught from another neighborhood cat.... For those of you who don't know FIV is the cat equivalent of HIV, don't worry its not transmissable to humans but a suprising no. of cats have it. They can get it just from hissing or scratching each other....

Just FYI

Joelle
Old October 27th, 2004, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelle
Guerabe,

I must say my cat has never kneaded my head but we didn't have him when he was a kitten. Although that would make a great candid shot!!!

Suggestion for the outdoor problem...

But please head my warning about letting them out....My cat ran away one night (and yes we searched the WHOLE neighborhood with flashlights to find him) only to have him come back in the morning with FIV which he caught from another neighborhood cat.... For those of you who don't know FIV is the cat equivalent of HIV, don't worry its not transmissable to humans but a suprising no. of cats have it. They can get it just from hissing or scratching each other....

Just FYI

Joelle
I don't let her out, my problem comes more from my father who is careless and doesn't lock the front door after he comes in or leaves (our dog knows how to open the door when it is unlocked, and my cat runs at the chance of an open door and my grandpa is really good at locking the door but i am afraid he is too slow for my cat and before he even gets a chance to step outside she runs between his legs and he doesn't even notice. When I am around, I squirt her with water and lock her in the room every time but that doesn't seem to help. she also seems to know she can get away with a lot more with grandpa too. I got her a harness but she hates it and cries when she is outside and has it on. I am really concerned about FIV, since my neighborhood is one made up poor people and drug addicts, therefore there are tons of stray cats roaming the streets. I am going to be scared taking her to sacramento for two weeks. I really don't want to lose her there (sacramento was were I found her). I am really doing the best I can. As soon as my school loans come through In January I will rent my own apt. where I control the front door and then I will feel better and safe with my little girl. Thanks for the post!
Old October 28th, 2004, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelle
Guerabe,

Joelle
Here is that image for you.....
[IMG]
Attached Images

Old October 28th, 2004, 11:02 PM

Talking Hilarious!

Guerabe!

What a great pic!!! TOO CUTE! That's hilarious! You know she cares when she's willing to wash you hair for you Just kidding!

Keep us posted with the runaway situation!

Joelle
Old October 29th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Senior Contributor

What id FIV? I have heard it mentioned on posts before.
Old October 29th, 2004, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
What id FIV? I have heard it mentioned on posts before.
I was told it is a virus that cats get that is similar to the virus of human HIV. I was told it is not transmissible to humans from cats but cats can get it from mating, hissing at each other or scratching. That was the first time I ever heard about it. You may want to do a formum search with FIV.