Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:11 AM

Feeding a cat with Kidney Failure in a multicat home..

I have 2 cats, one is 19 and I'm about 95% sure has kidney failure (haven't been to the vet but I have a couple friends that are vet techs and they believe he does.
Basically I'm looking at changing the food to help the older cat with kidney failure as I understand diet can help. (He is still eating his dry food normally). Is there a food that I can get that would help him out but not have any negative effects on my other cat who is perfectly healthy. If I get a kidney specific food will it do anything to the other cat? Any help would be great, thanks!
Old December 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequeen View Post
Is there a food that I can get that would help him out but not have any negative effects on my other cat who is perfectly healthy.
Yes, wet food. They both should be eating wet food, in fact. No need to feed a prescription kidney diet, just try to keep an eye on phosphorus levels. Check out this thread for more info: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45017

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:05 AM

A good quality canned food that has lower phosphorus levels would be appropriate for a cat in kidney failure and also good for your other cat. Removing all dry food will also go a long way to benefit the health of both cats.

Some low phosphorus canned foods to start with:
By Nature Organics Turkey & Turkey Liver, Chicken & Chicken Liver, Turkey & Chicken, Chicken & Mackerel, Beef & Beef Liver

Innova Flex Beef & Barley Stew
Evo 95% Chicken & Turkey

Felidae Platinum
Felidae Cat & Kitten
Felidae Grain Free

Merricks Before Grain 96% Beef
Merricks Before Grain 96% Turkey

Merricks Cowboy Cookout
Merricks Thanksgiving Day Dinner

Halo Spots Stew Wholesome Chicken
Halo Spots Stew Wholesome Turkey

Wellness Turkey, Chicken, Beef & Chicken, Beef & Salmon, Kitten, Wellness Core Chicken Turkey & Chicken Liver

Holistic Select Turkey & Barley
Holistic Select Duck & Chicken

Many more choices listed here http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food...od_data_tables

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 30th, 2010, 05:37 AM

I have a similar situation.

They get wet food, which is great for both of them.

But the dry food (which they also get) - my older cat gets prescription renal diet food from the vet. We found that if the other cat eats that stuff, he gets the runs. The vet says that's likely due to the fat content of the renal food. The renal food also won't provide enough nutrition for our 9 month old younger cat.

So, especially since my older cat has been a "grazer" all her life, we just keep her kidney-failure food up on the counter and covered, put it down when she wants and at mealtimes, but stay close enough that we can see when she is done and pick it up again. It's turned out to be more work, but this way they are both happy.