Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Reaction to Flea Treatment

Last night we put OneSpot on both our cats. The bf's cat has had it done many times before and never had any issues. Within a couple hours my cat was being very weird, was running around and trying to find places to hide. She ended up falling asleep behind a bunch of hanging clothes in a closet. About an hour later she ventured out into the living room with us. My bf was petting her and asked if I thought her collar was too tight, I said no cause I hadn't changed it since I put it on, but I went to feel and it was tight as well as her back (where the one spot went) was really really hot! I loosened her collar and just kept an eye on her. About 2 hours later she was eating, drinking, cleaning herself etc. I checked her collar it seemed alot looser and the heat was minimal to what it was before. She seemed fine this morning, back to her normal self I think..Anyways I just want to make sure that at this point (being well over 12 hours) if anything major was going to happen it probably would've happened already???
Anyone had similar problems?
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Please take the cat to the vet asap. You will not be able to tell any residual issues that may have happened from the flea treatment. Better safe than sorry. That does not sound like a good reaction. Next time could be tons worse.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I absolutely would not use this product again, on any of your pets. You might want to read this pdf discussing spot-on flea treatmenst: http://www.apnm.org/publications/res...leachemfin.pdf
Can you find more natural ways to control fleas? Here are some tips: http://www.eartheasy.com/article_nat...ea_control.htm

The Hartz OneSpot flea control product has methoprene, which is a neurotoxin with the following potential side effects:
Quote:
Headaches, eye and throat irritation, difficulty breathing, confusion, dizziness
and nausea in humans
Plus, it can cause liver enlargement. Nuff said.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Kitty pimp

if you can get frontline or revulotion they are both betterproducts

thers been a lot of contreversy about the hartz flea stuff
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the replies! Yeah I will NEVER use it again! I was reading some stuff this morning on it and it was crazy...I just want some assurance that at this point if she's back to her normal self that we're probably over the worst of the symptoms?
Just so weird that my bf's cat has absolutely no reaction to it what so ever and mine would have such a reaction...
Old June 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Kitty pimp

yah well some cats a very hypersensitve to it i would think she is okay but a vet check might lead to some peace of mind
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is just a general warning for newbies that may be reading this and is NOT meant for the OP:

Just want to add to always read the labels and NEVER EVER use flea treatments made for dogs on cats and vice versa.

Some people have mistakenly thought this is no big deal. It's a huge deal and something to be aware of. Many many cats die each year because owners use certain brands of dog flea products on cats.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter