Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 7th, 2009, 05:42 PM

100% regretting my decision..

So I got my cat spayed last week (she is 4), I know she had a traumatic experience at the vet (got loose) but brought her home and the next day she was cuddling and being her normal self, not too impressed she was locked up during the day but was herself. A couple days later she twisted or pulled something in her leg, back to being locked up, it's slowly getting better. But now she is not her self AT ALL! She doesn't greet me at the door, climb all over me when I sit down, jump on the counter to drink out of the sink..absolutely NOTHING! All I ever see her doing now is sleeping, I don't know if it's the pain from her leg, a delayed reaction to her spay or what but it's fully making me regret fixing her because her personality was the best part about her!
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Hi Bluequeen, I'm sorry you're going through this...

I'm thinking your kitty might have an infection or she might only be in pain from the surgery. I suggest you give a call to your vet and a visit might be needed to make sure everything is fine (or not..) with her.

I do think you made a great decision by having her spayed and I'm pretty sure she'll be back to her normal self soon. You need to call your vet because like you said, she might be in pain from her leg injury wich would need to be looked at.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:50 PM

So sorry to hear your kitty has had a change in personality....

Did you call the Vet and tell them what was happening? or take kitty back to see what the problem might be?

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

awww bluequeen... She will come around poor baby.. Hopefully she will forget about it & be back to her self.

A quick call to the vet might be helpful as the others suggested.

She will be fine I think its a lil bit of being "miffed" lotsa cuddles & treats and she will come around.

Tho how did her leg get injured? was she jumping around after her spay?
The rest she is getting is prolly doing her good. Spay is after all major surgery.
Old March 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

hugs for your poor kitty (and you, I know its hard!). I would give the vet a call and maybe take her for a check up. If shes in pain, that would be aweful and Im sure they can help her if she is.
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I'm a softy

I hope she is just angry and gets over it soon! Don't feel bad about getting her spayed.. if she were to have kittens and intact females will find a way to breed! That would change her pesonality too! Good Luck and I hope that you find out what is wrong soon!
Old March 7th, 2009, 08:09 PM
-

First of all, you should not be regretting that you got your cat spayed as it is one of the best things you can do for her health.

Does the spay incision look okay? Any oozing? Is she eating and drinking normally?

Do you know how she hurt her leg? Is she limping?
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:06 PM

I took her to the vet yesterday because she needed to have her stitches taken out and told him that I thought she looked like she was walking funny with her back end as well, he cleaned out her anal glands which was my best guess because my friend has a great dane that it happens to all the time. He watched her walk around and didn't mention anything. I did tell him I thought she twisted her front leg but he didn't seem overly concerned because it has been healing slowly...As far as the incision goes, not oozing, a little redness but he said it was irritation from the stitches and it should start to go away now they are out.
She doesn't seem very stable on her back end and I don't know if she's just compensating from the front, I tried doing a little massage on her spine and only got a meow after a couple of minutes and I'm pretty sure it was an irritation meow because then I pushed on her up by her shoulder and she did the same thing lol
She is eating and drinking and I've heard her in the litter, I have two cats here so it's pretty hard to gauge if one of them is not using the litter. I don't know how much she is eating because I'm not usually home during the day but right now I"ve been picking her up and taking her to her food bowl to eat (yeah I'm a sucker lol) I gave her treats today though which she happily accepted!
As far as how she hurt her leg, my best guess is she probably jumped off something and landed on it the wrong way. She doesn't seem as sure footed right now so it's a good possibility she just acted before she even thought about it (if cats can even do that lol)...Monday night when I first noticed it (she had her surgery the previous wed) she was limping pretty severely, did a joint test on her and got the most reaction when bending her knee. I locked her up for the next 3 days while I was at work and it verrrry slowly seems to be getting better but I'm thinking her lying around all day long is probably just making her joints stiffen up even more.
I know it's the best thing I could do for her health wise Im' just having a really hard time with it because she's just not herself at all and I'm badly missing my overly annoying cuddly cat. I just find it so weird that she was pretty much normal the day after her surgery and now it's come to this..On the plus side the first day she hurt her leg she was hiding and atleast she's not hiding anymore, just not doing anything...
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Look at things this way. She is four so not a kitty any more. It is normal for her to be a little less playful. Getting her spayed at this age makes major surgery a little harder on her. May take her longer to recoup. Within a few days of the surgery she had another stressful incident happen to her. It's bound to affect her mood for at least a while.
You have taken her back in to be checked. If the vet doesn't seem to be too concerned I would think she is doing ok. I had one done the same day as you had yours done. She is still just a tad bit unsteady on her feet too.
I think if you give her some time, a few weeks, to get over all of the stresses that have happened to her she will soon be back to your lovable, slightly irratating kitty.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 8th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Kitty pimp

i agee with14+ giveher 48hrs away fromvets and stress and see how she is

had a kit like that who was older took about a week before she was her old self
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:33 AM

So we are going on probably 4 days now of this behaviour, a little bit of an improvement yesterday in that she actually was at the door when I came in with the other cat (she hasn't done this since the behaviour started), also slowly showed up when I put food in their bowl. Still just sleeping alot, no cuddles, no jumping on things...nothing..My roommate is home now and usually one of her favourite things to do is sit on her lap while she's on her laptop but nope she's asleep in her basket in my room...I don't know how much more of this I can take, it's killing me to watch her look so sad and subdued all the time
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Catlover2

Four days isn't such a long time for a 4 y.o. to recover from spay surgery and a hurt leg. She's had something of a double whammy! It's a good sign that she's starting to come around. I think you'll continue to see slow progress. If she hasn't fully recovered after 10-14 days, then I would be worried. Just have patience and give her as much attention as she wants. It's important to groom her gently. Often cats that are ill or hurt do not feel well enough to groom themselves, and I'm sure she'll apprecite this, but stop if she's not enjoying it. Have patience, I'm sure she'll be her old self soon again.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have 4 month old kittens that take a few days to recover from spaying. A four year old cat will take a week or so. You have had her checked by the vet, that is good .

Think about how you would feel if you had an injured leg and just had a hysterectomy? Would you be jumping up to greet everybody who came to the door, or be waiting for them on the couch? Give her some time to heal completely.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:17 PM

Yeah I can fully appreciate she's had a very tough week and a half, it just concerns me because come Wednesday it will be 2 weeks since her spay and today makes a week since she hurt her leg (granted it is better then it was, slooooowly)...I just wish she was back to her old little annoying self lol

I have been paying attention to her cleaning and she still seems very good at cleaning herself, maybe not fully but she's cleaning her legs, paws and stuff that's reachable without much effort..She lies in front of the other cat and she cleans her head and neck too..Because she's eating, drinking, using the litter and cleaning my best assumption is she's not in any apparent danger but it just worrys me
Old March 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I have 4 month old kittens that take a few days to recover from spaying. A four year old cat will take a week or so. You have had her checked by the vet, that is good .

Think about how you would feel if you had an injured leg and just had a hysterectomy? Would you be jumping up to greet everybody who came to the door, or be waiting for them on the couch? Give her some time to heal completely.
Well said 14+. Don't worry. Everything will be fine.
Old March 12th, 2009, 01:49 PM

Happy to say that we are very very slowly coming around, she's out a bit more now and will cuddle and purr which is a big step from last week. Still not jumping up and down on anything but I'm guessing based on her walk she's still sore in her leg.
Now started to pre-worry about the transition in 2 months to the bf's house, if she stressed this bad I don't know what's going to happen when she meets his 18lb cat!