Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 20th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Any dog's been sick from eating cadidae?

I purchased a bag of senior canidae dry dog food and my dog wasn't as excited as he usually was to eat it. This is a dog who lives for his meal times! When I smelled the food it really had a strange odour to it so we immedietely returned the bag to the store. That night my dog became very ill with vomiting and diarrhea. He was diagnosed with pancreatitis and the vet's said it could have been a direct result of eating rancid food. I am wondering if anyone has heard of other pets getting sick from this food. I have have contacted the company and they are going to test the food. Does anyone know where I can get my own testing done?
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:28 PM

if you go to www.itchmo.com there is forum section there i believe under problems with food or one of those categories you can find out some places where people have done their own testing.
Old September 20th, 2007, 04:50 PM

Was the date code not outdated?
I have had this happen, and it that smell was from the fat being rancid, but the bag I had was outdated..
Old September 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM

The bag had a manufacture date of June 20, 2007 and and expiration of June 2008. That is why is it so concerning for me! I hope I can find a lab that will test it for me!
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:49 PM

have them run a fat analysis on it as well. i've never heard of rancid food causing pancreatitis, howwever a food with a high fat content (higher than usual anyway) could certainly cause pancreatitis.
Old October 20th, 2007, 09:40 PM

Me too

I got a opened new bag the All Stages or Life Stages three days ago, and Syd wasn't thrilled with it the first couple of days and then today just refused to eat it. It smells little off, but not rancid, I was wondering if they had a formula change. I am going to e-mail them as soon as I get home and have access to the bag, we are out of town right now. My bag had the "Howloween scratch off coupon" in it, do you remember if your's did? She is still acting fine, and we have gotten some different food, which she is eating, though her appatite is still not quite normal.
Old October 21st, 2007, 04:27 PM

My dog was on Canidae all life stages for awhile. He never got sick on it, but he was not all that thrilled about it either. I have since switched him to other brands and he's liked them all better. Seems like it is a good brand, from the ingredient list, though.