Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 28th, 2006, 01:53 AM
owned by Amber

Rate This Dog Food!

Alright, so I know it probably isn't really good because of the brand. I am not going to say what brand it is, I don't want anybody to be biased like I am. However, it isn't a really BAD food in my opinion because it contains no corn, no soy, no by-products, and no meat from *questionable* origins. However, I feel I may be missing something that makes it bad.

The reason I am asking is my parents won't let their dogs eat a good brand of dog food. They are on purina mighty dog, one of its main meat sources is "meat-byproducts". Uhg. I think this food is better than what they are currently on, but how much better?

Current food ingredients:
Beef , Water Sufficient for Processing , Meat By-Products , Liver , Chicken , Ground Rice , Guar Gum , Potassium Chloride , Salt , Natural and Artificial Flavor , Sodium Tripolyphosphate , Caramel Color , Carrageenan , Zinc Sulfate , Vitamin E Supplement , Choline Chloride , Ferrous Sulfate , Sodium Nitrate to Promote Color Retention , Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1 , Copper Sulfate , Manganese Sulfate , Vitamin A Supplement , Niacin , Calcium Pantothenate , Red 3 , Riboflavin Supplement , Vitamin B12 Supplement , Vitamin D3 Supplement , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Potassium Iodide , Folic Acid , Sodium Selenite , Biotin

Other food:
Beef, Water Sufficient for Processing, Ground Rice, Dicalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Natural Flavor, Caramel, Salt, Dried Whey, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E A B12 D3 Supplements, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement), Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Copper Proteinate, Maganous Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite) Carrageenan

What does everyone think? On a scale of 1 to 10 for both foods? *I rate the mighty dog as like a 2...

The price of living is living in eternal pain.
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:58 AM

Neither is good.

Beef- ok..
Water Sufficient for Processing- fine
Meat By-Products- unspecified meats- these foods have been found to have traces of the chemical used to euthanize dogs and cats and the lack of specification implies that they don't know what animal it is, and it could be dogs and cats.
Liver- same- unspecified source
Chicken- fine
Ground Rice- alright, but I'd rather the rice be specified too- brown or white? or is it just scraps?
Guar Gum- yeah, that's in a lot of canned foods

(Potassium Chloride , Salt , Natural and Artificial Flavor , Sodium Tripolyphosphate , Caramel Color , Carrageenan , Zinc Sulfate , Vitamin E Supplement , Choline Chloride , Ferrous Sulfate , ) usual vitamins and chemicals

Sodium Nitrate to Promote Color Retention- unnecessary preservative- who cares what the color is!
Thiamine Mononitrate Vitamin B1 , Copper Sulfate , Manganese Sulfate , Vitamin A Supplement , Niacin , Calcium Pantothenate

Red 3, and caramel color above (WHY? Just so it looks pretty?)

Riboflavin Supplement , Vitamin B12 Supplement , Vitamin D3 Supplement , Pyridoxine Hydrochloride , Potassium Iodide , Folic Acid , Sodium Selenite , Biotin

Food #2:

Not as bad, but the caramel? Just added sugar to get the dog hooked. And the ingredients are quite sparce. Not sure a dog will end up healthy on it with the lack of variety.
Old December 28th, 2006, 02:03 AM

lol sorry- I thought you were deciding between the two, but I realize that you want to stop the first one, right?

I think rather than a canned food, you should try for a better kibble. Canned, even the crap, is more expensive, so you could put that money into a higher end kibble instead.
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:58 AM

Rate this dog food

No offense but those both look like garbage to me. Sorry, just my 2 cents.
Old December 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM
owned by Amber

Yeah they are but you can't tell my parents anything. MY dog gets Canidae. She won't let me feed it to hers for some warped reason. I just don't see the logic in it but she is stubborn.

Can't do kibble, the older of the two dogs has no teeth. He's only 9.

The price of living is living in eternal pain.
Old December 28th, 2006, 01:37 PM
-

I agree with everything Prin said but if your only option is food #1 or food #2 then #2 is better.

Will your mom not buy the premium brand canned foods like Merrick's or Canidae or Innova, etc.?
Old December 28th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Learning fast

You need labels, ones from something that she agree's to but has no idea what is in the tin, then just swap the labels over to the good food. However I will say, as unpopular this may be, under her roof, her rules. Easy for me to say as I moved out at 16. From what I can see you have no good options but we are here for and if you need additional help for advise then just ask you mum specifically what you need in print prove that merricks is better than Pedigre power chow (or whatever they call it) and there will be people able to direct you straight to where you need to go rather than spending time looking for stuff, being on canned limits the choices (costco kirkland premium was what I was thinking) if finances come into play. Good luck.