Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 4th, 2011, 04:18 PM

Feral cat colony

Hi,

Just introducing myself.

I take care of a colony of feral cats that live in a junk/wrecking yard. I first took notice of these cats about 3 years ago. I would bring bits of food and put out water for them.

Then I got in touch with 2 non-profits, one supplied live traps and paid for the spay and neuter of the cats once trapped, the other donates up to 300lbs of food every 5 to 6 weeks. To date I've trapped and helped trap close to 50 cats. The summer has finally arrived in my neck of the woods and I will start trapping again over the summer. I have seen at least 6 cats that I know have not been spayed or neutered which means there are double or triple that number out there.

Even tho I finally got help feeding them, I continued to feed them by hand little bits of lunch meat and cooked deer and elk so I could continue to socialize them. I have domesticated 13 and have placed 7 in homes where they have become INDOOR LAP cats!

I have 3 adult males that would make excellent pets (all were born at the yard and were at least 1 yr old when I "met" them). One is a chocolate point Himalayan and the other to are basic black and white.

My goal for the summer is to "pet" 2 as these 2 get very close to me and rub their heads against anything when I talk to them.

There are 7 that I can't touch but they all come when I call their names and they all meow at me.

Does anyone else do something similar with feral/wild cats?

thanks
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

JYD,thank you for doing what you are doing
We have some people who do the same as you,14+ is our kitty-angel,who has rescued,s/n dumped kitties for several years,she has a wonderful outdoor catuary where all the cats stay happily together.

Other people do rescue and fostering,so you came to the right place!!
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:39 PM

It must be very rewarding to know that because of your hard work you were able to find homes for some feral cats. Their lives are so much improved because of you, you must be a very patient person. Keep up the good work.
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Welcome junkyarddog. Great job you are doing. The world needs more angels like you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 5th, 2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi junkyarddog!

You are good people! Like 14+ says, I wish there were more of you on this planet.

I'm the caretaker for a couple of ferals in my neighbourhood that I TNRd with the help of a local organization. One of the cats will sometimes let me pet him, and he comes running when I call his name. The other guy I rarely see. I have a feeding station in my backyard, which is also how I came to meet (and eventually trap) my beautiful semi-feral, Cinnamon Girl (a flame-point Siamese). She had a litter of kittens in my spare room last summer, 2 of which I kept and the other 3 found fabulous homes.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, junkyarddog. And thank you for all you do for the feral kitties in your area!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 7th, 2011, 06:40 PM

Thanks

Thanks everyone for being so kind in welcoming me. I volunteered at the local animal shelter's spay and neuter clinic on Sunday. I worked recovery and I'm happy and really sad to say that my wrecking yard kitties were in better shape and appear to be healthier than 70% of the domestic kitties that came in for the clinic. I have a long hair feral that lets me brush/pull out the knots in his fur on his tummy from scrub brush... I worked on at least 10 domestics that had to be shaved!

Anyway, thank you again and I'm very glad I stumbled onto this web site!