Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
Owned by Saints

Stray Kitten

My hubby text me today telling me he found a stray kitten (about 8-10 weeks old)in the engine compartment of their work truck. He figures she crawled up in there after they parked the truck at the job site.

Currently he's set her up in a cardboard box with a blanket in the back seat.. he's bringing her home after work.

I already have a room setup for her, with litter, food and water away from my existing cats and dog. I'll be making a vet appointment as soon as I can to get her checked out.

Basically I'm wondering if it would be ok to bath her? She's got motor oil and tar on her. Tar is from my hubby's hands, he's a flat roofer. lol Plus I'm not sure if she has fleas.. I don't want to stress her out more but a bath will be neccessary at some point but I'm thinking it might be easier if it's done right away.

What do you all think?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yes, she will lick up the toxins. Can you call your vet for a shampoo recommendation? Perhaps just dish washing soap???

Your hubby is an , give him a big hug for me.

And of course we will need pics

Personally for flees, I would use kitten Revolution (not adult, it may be too strong). It starts working immediately and is more effective than shampoo.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2011, 03:11 PM
Owned by Saints

I have dawn dish soap. The vet said flea shampoo would be fine too.. but I'm not 100% sure how old she is so I figured I'll use the dawn. Might help get the oil out of her fur too and I'll pick up some revolution tomorrow.

Hubby text me a pic. She's a calico. I'll take pics once she's settled in. She has some gunk in the corners of her eyes, might be from being in the engine? But he said her poop is normal and her ears are clean.

My hubby is a softy. He cuddled with her during his lunch hour with her in his shirt. He usually works late.. so he probably won't be home with her until about 8pm or so.

My teenage son had me move everything into his room. So she can cuddle with him if she wants tonight. If all goes well we will more than likely keep her. I'm worried about the eventual introduction to Harley. But we will cross that bridge when we get to it.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:21 PM
Willing cat servant

That baby calico has a lucky star. First finding you and your husband and then being taken out of the car engine. A lot of kitties die that way by accident.
My parents have rescued many kittens and about the same age sometimes and yesh giving them a bath sometimes it's necessary and it's ok.
I LOVE calicos and I agree with Love4himies your hubby is an
Thank you both for taking care of her
Old November 2nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Rayne,that little one had an angel looking out for her,your husband
Not only was her life saved,but she'll get a loving home too,could not be any better.
Looking forward to pics..
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaYne View Post
What do you all think?
I think you and hubby are absolutely AWESOME!
Wish there were more people like you out there.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think dish washing soap will be good to get the grease out and it's non toxic to your kitty.

This just brings a great big smile to my face

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 2nd, 2011, 07:01 PM
Owned by Saints

He's still not home yet... not until about 9:30pm. He said she was purring up a storm and kneeding all cuddled up in his coat. LOL

The only reason they knew she was there is that they heard her meowing. He said she was so crammed up in the engine they had to grab her by the tail and back legs to pull her out. They couldn't get her any other way.

I'm assuming she is someones pet.. she's definitely not feral. But he said noone in the area new who she belonged to. I'll get my vet to check for a chip just in case..
Old November 2nd, 2011, 10:35 PM
Owned by Saints

This baby is super tiny. I'm thinking more so 4-5 weeks. She has a full belly and is sleeping now.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, bless you and hubby for taking her in! Did you need to bathe her? Sending along lots of for the little one!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 2nd, 2011, 11:25 PM

Please be sure to dry & warm her thoroughly after the bath, kittens (& puppies) can become chilled & get sick very quickly.

to your hubby for rescuing the baby. Can't wait for pics

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 3rd, 2011, 06:09 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Rayne your hubby is an angel! do you think because of her young age there may be more babies in the area?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:55 AM
Owned by Saints

We thought the same thing. He's checking for more today. He's going to be at the same job site for a week. So if there is more he should see them. I told him to bring them home and we will find homes for them. Can't keep them all.

I let her have free run of the bedroom lastnight. I wanted to see if she would use the litter. She didn't. She stayed behind my sons bed and used that area. It's carpet so that's a big mess I cleaned up this morning. So I had to set her up in a cage. We bought our ferret a new single level cage (she's older and was falling down the levels) so I had the 3 level cage here and there is lots of room for her in there. Just until she's using the litter then she will get the bedroom again.

When she's loose in the room she's skiddish and runs and hides from us. In the cage she purrs and rubs and kneeds. So I think she feels more secure in the cage.

I didn't bath her last night. She's a bit dirty but not too bad. Hubby cleaned her up as best he could. After seeing how small she is I was scared to bath her and chill her. Plus I figured the dryer would freak her out and I didn't want to leave her damp. I checked her over and didn't see any fleas or flea dirt.

I'll get pics this afternoon.. I can't believe how tiny she is. She fits in one hand.. and I have small hands.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
Owned by Saints

Well here she is. She looked White/Black/Orange when hubby text me the pics yesterday. But she's got tabby spots too. So I guess she would be considered a Torbie.

Hard to tell how small she is in these pics. I'll have to take a pic of her next to a pop can. I'm guess she's about half a pound. Fuzzy but skinny and I can feel all her bones.

In Jail...

Her markings/color

Nervous until I open the door, then she turned into a puring love machine. LOL

Old November 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Willing cat servant

OMG! How adorable. She's soooooooooo cute!!!
I'm really loving this thread. Knowing some people like you do this out there makes my day and a happy story like this
I hope that IF there are more kittens around your husband can find them.

Blessings for you guys~
Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh my, she's a little doll .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 3rd, 2011, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Adorable!!!
Old November 3rd, 2011, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Om My,what a little beauty,I hope she's not only 4-5 weeks old...if she climbed in to that engine on her own she's probably older.
I don't know if you have had kittens before,but you'll have to put her in the litterbox a few times,maybe show her how to scratch, before she gets the hang of it and she will .
A crate is probably a good idea for her to feel safe.
Maybe also a quick vet-visit,to make sure she does not still need to nurse.
You and hubby are wonderful for caring
Old November 3rd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Om My,what a little beauty,I hope she's not only 4-5 weeks old...if she climbed in to that engine on her own she's probably older.
I don't know if you have had kittens before,but you'll have to put her in the litterbox a few times,maybe show her how to scratch, before she gets the hang of it and she will .
A crate is probably a good idea for her to feel safe.
Maybe also a quick vet-visit,to make sure she does not still need to nurse.
You and hubby are wonderful for caring
Excellent suggestions, chico

As for the nursing, I think this kitten will be able to "survive" without being nursed, however, kittens usually nurse at bedtime until they are 12-14 weeks old. That tells me that momma's milk is still a requirement for healthy kitten growth and teeth development. With the fosters that I have gotten at this size without a momma, I've added a milk replacement, that I got from my vet, to their canned/raw food. It can't hurt for this little sweetie to get a bit more calcium for a couple of weeks.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:18 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's a doll, RaYne! And so very, very lucky!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:57 PM

My goodness she's adorable!

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

She is "Precious" so glad she met you guys....
Old November 4th, 2011, 08:50 AM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Oh my word...she is just perfect Bless you for saving her life!

I really hope there are no more out there but that is great that you are prepared to help them out if there are...thanks

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Willing cat servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
YES! That's exactly what I do with the kittens I've taken care of. You should really give this suggestion a try
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Owned by Saints

So far he hasen't seen anymore, but they are looking and checking the engine before they leave the jobsite just in case one sneaks in there.

She's using the litterbox when she's in the cage. When I let her out to play she doesn't know enough to go back to the litterbox, but I can tell when she's looking to potty and I place her back in it. She'll use it and go play some more. So she's learning, she just needs to learn to go back to it on her own. Until she is I'll keep doing what I'm doing until she figures it out.

She's coming around to us now. Not hiding so much when she's out in my son's room. She loves the cage I think because she feels secure in it. She's VERY affectionate now.

And yes she has tried to nurse on my hand/arm and she's not drinking water that I've seen but she is on wet/canned food and she's peeing so she must be getting enough water from that. Or she is drinking and I haven't seen her?

My vet is booked until mid week so I'm going to pick up some de-wormer today (I'll ask about milk replacer) and get her in as soon as I can. She doesn't have fleas surprisingly and I did bath her yesterday.. didn't see any or any flea dirt. Speaking of the bath she was purring when I was lathering her up. LOL I've never had a cat that purr'd during a bath.

And I change my mind about her being someones pet. She's never been in a house... or EVER seen a litterbox or even seen/smelled cat food and didn't know how to eat out of a bowl or saucer. The ONLY reason they caught her was because she was in the engine. They never would have got ahold of her in the parking lot. I had trouble catching her in my sons room. I'm honestly surprised she wasn't feral.

After googling how to tell kitten age. 5-6 weeks sounds about right. 5 weeks said steady on their feet, and 6 weeks said very active.. gaining about a pound a month. She's smaller than she should be weight wise but I'm thinking that would be lack of nutrition.
Old November 4th, 2011, 10:58 AM
Owned by Saints

I've never had a cat have kittens or had young kittens and all the other strays I've brought in were someones pet before they were dumped so they knew what a litterbox was. So this is a learning experience for me. But she's slowly getting it.
Old November 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
So far he hasen't seen anymore, but they are looking and checking the engine before they leave the jobsite just in case one sneaks in there.

She's using the litterbox when she's in the cage. When I let her out to play she doesn't know enough to go back to the litterbox, but I can tell when she's looking to potty and I place her back in it. She'll use it and go play some more. So she's learning, she just needs to learn to go back to it on her own. Until she is I'll keep doing what I'm doing until she figures it out.

She's coming around to us now. Not hiding so much when she's out in my son's room. She loves the cage I think because she feels secure in it. She's VERY affectionate now.

And yes she has tried to nurse on my hand/arm and she's not drinking water that I've seen but she is on wet/canned food and she's peeing so she must be getting enough water from that. Or she is drinking and I haven't seen her?

My vet is booked until mid week so I'm going to pick up some de-wormer today (I'll ask about milk replacer) and get her in as soon as I can. She doesn't have fleas surprisingly and I did bath her yesterday.. didn't see any or any flea dirt. Speaking of the bath she was purring when I was lathering her up. LOL I've never had a cat that purr'd during a bath.

And I change my mind about her being someones pet. She's never been in a house... or EVER seen a litterbox or even seen/smelled cat food and didn't know how to eat out of a bowl or saucer. The ONLY reason they caught her was because she was in the engine. They never would have got ahold of her in the parking lot. I had trouble catching her in my sons room. I'm honestly surprised she wasn't feral.

After googling how to tell kitten age. 5-6 weeks sounds about right. 5 weeks said steady on their feet, and 6 weeks said very active.. gaining about a pound a month. She's smaller than she should be weight wise but I'm thinking that would be lack of nutrition.

I've had some feral litters that have taken weeks to learn to use the litter box and others that have taken to one right away. I think it depends upon what surface they were using outside.

If you are interested, now is the time to get her on a raw diet. It is really the best thing for them. If you are feeding canned, then I really do suggest some KMR added. Kittens need a lot of fluids for growth.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 4th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Owned by Saints

At first she was trying to get back behind the bed. That's where she pottied the first night but I have blocked that area off and shampoo'd the carpet. That's when I clued in what she was doing and put her in the litterbox. She uses the litterbox 100% when she's in the cage so I think it's only a matter of time before she gets it.

I'll pick up some KMR since I'm going to the vet anyway for de-wormer. Just waiting for hubby to get done work. Hopefully he's not too late tonight.

I have thought about feeding RAW and I did for awhile. I was making my own until my grinder broke. We tried Nature's Variety and the cats didn't like it so we went back to canned.
Old November 4th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
At first she was trying to get back behind the bed. That's where she pottied the first night but I have blocked that area off and shampoo'd the carpet. That's when I clued in what she was doing and put her in the litterbox. She uses the litterbox 100% when she's in the cage so I think it's only a matter of time before she gets it.

I'll pick up some KMR since I'm going to the vet anyway for de-wormer. Just waiting for hubby to get done work. Hopefully he's not too late tonight.

I have thought about feeding RAW and I did for awhile. I was making my own until my grinder broke. We tried Nature's Variety and the cats didn't like it so we went back to canned.
My cat's didn't really like NV either. Most of it was freezer burnt. I make my own and the feral kittens that I foster just love it.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 8th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Owned by Saints

Fecal test showed no worms? Is that possible? We dewormed her anyway. I'm guessing the diarrhea was from the switch to canned food and the garbage she was eating. I have her on canned Canidae, the chicken and rice formula. She eats quite a bit but only poops once a day.. normal? Or is she getting constipated?

She's been here for 6 days now. I'm leaving her out of the cage for short periods unsupervised and keep checking on her. So far so good. I sit in there with her alot and she seems to be going back to the litter when she needs to. I also re-arranged my sons bedroom. With his bed in the corner against the wall she was constantly trying to get behind it. So I moved it to the middle of the room with just the headboard against the wall. Now she doesn't bother.

BUT she's beginning to develop a URI, Not too bad.. more like a flare up than a full blown URI. Slightly runny nose, gagging, swallowing hard, the odd cough and red eye rims with the odd sneeze here and there. I kind of expected this would pop up.. I'm just hoping it stays mild.