Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 7th, 2005, 11:43 AM

Dog having hard time swallowing - not choking

This has been a problem that happens every so often with my Norfolk Terrier and was really bad last night. She was playing with our other terrier and then sneezed a couple of times. After that I noticed that she kept licking her lips and nose and swallowing really hard so that there was almost a thud sound when she finished swallowing. I'd say she would lick and swallow every 10 seconds or so. When I tried massaging her throat very gently I noticed her adams apple was very pronounced at this time. I then took her outside and she began to eat grass feverishly. I can only assume that she was freaked out by her swallowing too and just wanted to trty and get up what was bothering her throat. She finally did get sick but the swallowing continued for at least a couple more hours until she finally relaxed and the hard swallowing died down eventually. The really strange thing is that all of a sudden our other terrier started doing this yesterday but not as dramatic, this is weird because he has never done this and he is pretty much indestructable and never gets sick or shows it at least. Has anyone seen or dealt with this? Maybe a sinus or pallet problem? Thanks
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:19 PM

What does your vet say about this? Only a licensed vet can properly diagnose a throat disorder. Since your pup has problems swallowing, I'd venture a guess that she has larynx issues. A vet check is in order, and fast.
Old February 7th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Excessive swallowing can also be a sign of nausea.

Just a note too: A dog cannot lick their nose or snout without swallowing.
A good rule to follow if you have trouble getting them to swallow a pill...after depositing a pill down their throat, tap their nose with butter, peanut butter, cream cheese or coolwhip..really does not matter, and they will instantly lick their nose forgeting about the pill and swallow. Even a drop of water on the nose works.

I still think this may be due to nausea though...only your vet can say for sure.
Old August 11th, 2008, 09:02 AM

Louisj23
My German Shepherd is going through the same thing and I was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong with your terrier.

Thanks,
Rosa
Old September 12th, 2011, 11:25 PM

my dog is having the same problem, wakes me up at night. looks like he cant seem to swallow, then just wants outside to eat grass like crazy. did you go to the vet? cause i would love to know what was wrong with your little one, so i can know what is wrong with my little man. thanks.
Old September 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_shorty View Post
my dog is having the same problem, wakes me up at night. looks like he cant seem to swallow, then just wants outside to eat grass like crazy. did you go to the vet? cause i would love to know what was wrong with your little one, so i can know what is wrong with my little man. thanks.
Situations like this could be caused by various things such as nausea (multiple causes), a stomach related issue ie ulcer or even as serious as an obstruction either in the throat or lungs, it is best for you to have your dog in to see the vet as only they can give you a proper diagnosis. Good luck

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

As Gatekeeper suggests, see a vet for further investigation and diagnosis. This could be very crutial in your animal's survival.
Good luck to you.