Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old December 20th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Willing cat servant

Kitten on Debridat

I'm on vacations at my parents and they have a mega multicat house hold (9 at the moment) they have placed many as well in new homes
Anyway Thelma is the newest rescue. An aprox 4 month old kitten. Thelma got sick a couple of weeks ago, she was very constipated and had a colitis as well. She's doing really well now, there is something that bugs me. As a part of her treatment the vet prescribed 0.3ml of Debridat every 12 hours for 30 days. The treatment helped a lot however I think 30 days is way too long for a kitten.
She's also on lactulose and I add more water to her food and some sweet potato and that's just fine the only thing that bugs me is the 30 day treatment. Am I being too paranoid?
I could use some input on this

Thanks friends :P
Old December 23rd, 2012, 09:02 PM

Hi Koteburo!
Debridat isn't available in North America which is probably why the Vet Drugs Handbook I have doesn't list it.

Maybe you already know all this, but here is some of the info I found online - pieces from different sources, put into quote form to focus:
Quote:
The maleic acid salt of trimebutine is marketed under the trademark of Debridat....

Trimebutine belongs to the class of medications called spasmolytics. It is used to treat irritable bowel syndrome (spastic colon). This condition is caused by overactive movements of the bowels. Trimebutine works by slowing down or normalizing the abnormal movements of the bowel. http://chealth.canoe.ca/drug_info_de...d_name_id=1736

One research study: "Action of trimebutine in cat and rabbit colon: evidence of an opioid-like effect" [my comment: might explain why it may be particularly effective in cats]
You know, if I were in your position, I think I would put the question to the folks who are in the specialized online Yahoo groups for IBD - there are a number of them....if anyone is going to know, it would have to be them.

Here are the ones I have bookmarked:
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/felineibd1/ (a very busy group)
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeIBD/

Hope some of this will help!

Where on earth are you, anyway??