Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old August 16th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Since I am the only one posting...

It seems nobody wants to post,so here is a pic I took today,it was supposed to be of hubby,skimming the pool
That little figure in the back is him though
Attached Images

Old August 16th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Ohhh, nice pool, nice hubby, nice yard. Did I miss anything. Great pic. Today I would be happy to have a pool! Actually,hubby is away for six weeks and I'd be happy to have a hubby too!!
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh oh! You have a Pool Boy! How awesome is that.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:27 PM
banned user

I could never post pictures of my gardens...they are all weeds this year...I kill them and they bounce right back and huge!!!!
I have one of my hibiscous I will post later...the only one without weeds...I guess cause it's in a pot!
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Ohhh... nice pool, and pool boy!

You have such a beautiful garden as well
I have such a brown thumb... thank goodness for my beautiful, green-thumbed MIL, otherwise, all my plants would be dead

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's everyone,hubby will be flatteredhe's a pretty good pool-boy and not too bad looking
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:06 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank's everyone,hubby will be flatteredhe's a pretty good pool-boy and not too bad looking
i'll agree with Chico2 on that one her hubby is a cutie and what a sweetheart he is...and of course i loooooove the gardens.
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh Aslan I'll have to show him what you said,but you are right,after 100 yrs together he's a good guy,for sure
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:27 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Oh,Oh Aslan I'll have to show him what you said,but you are right,after 100 yrs together he's a good guy,for sure
lol,,,sure go ahead and show him, he is a good guy and deserves the praise..then again look at the wonderful woman he married..
Old August 16th, 2010, 07:31 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You saw my gardens on Saturday. Nothing there to post pics of. Hopefully I will get my act together and do better next year.
Love your garden pic. And your Cabana boy. Does he do home visits? Oh yeah, guess that would mean I would need a pool, huh? I love you two!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

chico, if I save all my pennies and fly you out next spring will you help me make my gardens at least half as beautiful as yours?
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

LMPG,sure,start saving
Then I can visit my son at the same timeBut honestly,with 4 large dogs,you don't need a garden
Old August 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
banned user

Here is my Hibiscous! and my gardenia & Jack

Name:  aug.18 008.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  aug.18 012.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  100.3 KB
Old August 20th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Shirley,that looks more like a double Rose of Sharon,rather than a Hibiscus,the same as mine,except yours is pink,very pretty,but of course I could be wrong.
Had another look,it probably is a Hibiscus,just different..beautiful
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Shirley,that looks more like a double Rose of Sharon,rather than a Hibiscus,the same as mine,except yours is pink,very pretty,but of course I could be wrong.
Had another look,it probably is a Hibiscus,just different..beautiful
You are right chico. It's a double Rose of Sharon. But they are in the hibiscus family and nurseries will sell them as hibiscus. Technically they aren't wrong.

Depending on what you use for a reference tool Rose of Sharon would not be even close to hibiscus. My Canadian Encyclopedia by Dorling Kindersley states Rose of Sharon is a flowering yellow bush in the hypericum calycinum family. Otherwise known as Aaron's Beard. Again - it all depends on geographical location what names plants go by.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:24 PM
banned user

I don't know...I bought it as a double hibiscous and it is an indoor plant that we put in the greenhouse over the winter. I have several different colours of them but this is the only standard and non winter hardy.
Old August 20th, 2010, 04:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1011 View Post
I don't know...I bought it as a double hibiscous and it is an indoor plant that we put in the greenhouse over the winter. I have several different colours of them but this is the only standard and non winter hardy.
See that's just different areas. Around here the nurseries would call them Double Rose of Sharon. In your area it's Double Hibiscus. They call them whatever is popular in the area. Here people love Rose of Sharons.
I LOVE that Jack flower!!

Old August 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
banned user

No I have a double Rose of Sharon...actually 3 of them...and I have about 20 tropical hibiscous that we keep in the greenhouse....here is a picture of our double Rose of Sharon and then my favourite yellow rose.Name:  summer 2010 003.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  100.3 KB

Name:  summer 2010 004.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  102.1 KB

Name:  summer 2010 005.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  103.7 KB
Old August 20th, 2010, 07:00 PM
150% PRO S/N

Ok, gotcha'. You have the tender variety of hibiscus. Ones that will freeze in our temps so therefore have to be overwintered. There are so many different varieties of hibiscus. Annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, etc. As I said, technically all are in the same family. Sorry for the confusion.

Old August 20th, 2010, 07:11 PM
banned user

yes they are all part of the hibiscus family and it is too bad they all weren't winter hardy...it sure would save a lot of fuss all winter! I would love to get one of those perennial ones with the big moon faces....had one before we moved and just never got another.
Old August 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Those are beautiful Shirley,I love my double Rose of Sharon,looks almost like a Gardenia.
My Hibiscuses are very hardy,overwinter great, guess there are many different kinds,like you and 14+say.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Shirley, I love that first hibiscus, very pretty indeed. Can you tell me the name of the yellow rose, it's a real beauty. I laughed when a friend on a garden forum here admitted to buying two more roses when she swore she had no more room and wasn't buying any more. She put on the end of her post , my name is Val and I am an addict, like it was an AA meeting. LOL. Well, I ditto that, I just bought 8 more. Seven David Austins and the hybrid tea, Kronenburg. I'd add your yellow lovely if it was available here. I'm really looking forward to Spring.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 06:18 AM
banned user

The yellow Rose is called Valencia...I tried to get more from the distributor in the spring but they were out of stock so I have my order in for the fall. I get all my roses from Hortico which is over in Waterdown, Ont.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 07:25 AM
Senior Contributor

what beautiufl flowers!!

Chico...has her very own pool guy...wowzer! Chico...is he your boy toy too?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Shirley, I actually do have Valencia here but see why I didn't realise it was the same rose, the colour is brighter here. Maybe it's a bit like Just Joey, which can vary a lot depending on climatic conditions? I really wish my rose was as mature, strong and healthy as yours, it's still very young.
Attached Images

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:35 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Shirley, I actually do have Valencia here but see why I didn't realise it was the same rose, the colour is brighter here. Maybe it's a bit like Just Joey, which can vary a lot depending on climatic conditions? I really wish my rose was as mature, strong and healthy as yours, it's still very young.
Maybe it's the camera. Not the rose.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
banned user

Mine is only 3 years old and it is under a beech tree so maybe that is the difference...
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Those yellow roses are very pretty,I absolutely love my Roses in the spring and early summer'I have 11,counting the back and front,but now,although still blooming they are stalky and ugly looking
Shirley,I believe most Roses do better if they get some shade during the day.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

According to Treloars, chico2, one of the leading rose suppliers here ....

(quote) All roses require an open, sunny and well drained position. AT LEAST 5 HOURS OF DIRECT SUN PER DAY IS REQUIRED(their emphasis, not mine, it was in capitals in the cultural notes), preferably more. Although shaded areas will allow roses to do well, the quantity of flowers will diminish with the percentage of shade. (end quote)

So, it may be that because mine is in full sun, the colour is more vibrant. I love the slightly muted colour of Shirley's though, and it has such a lovely form, that rose. Looks fantastic in her photo with so many blooms.

Just Joey is an unusual rose, it really alters dramatically when exposed to cold weather. Grown down in Tasmania where it's cold, it can be like this

http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com/gal...ey-pic_111.htm

or grown here in Victoria when it's warmer it can be like this. Without frilling on the petals and it's the 'coppery orange to buff ' colour that it should be. You'd think it was a different rose.
Attached Images

Old August 24th, 2010, 01:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
LMPG,sure,start saving
Then I can visit my son at the same timeBut honestly,with 4 large dogs,you don't need a garden
I have a small garden that runs the fence at the back of the yard. I have sage and rubarb growing next to some juniper, and a sherbert tree of some sort and then two evergreens. If the previous owners planted something in between well it must've died.
I'm more of a container gardener myself, even tho I haven't had much success with that either.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)