Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 27th, 2006, 08:22 AM

The Training Begins

Hello Everyone, I just joined yesterday from Ireland As I mentioned I have a german shepherd bitch, Krystal is 5 and a half months, We bought her from a friend who has both dog and bitch GS living with her so there genes arent that of those fantastic show dogs and that. Krystal was brought into our home at 10wks, she settled in within the first night, which was unusual, Dont pups taken away from their mother and homed feel strange? She has a good temperament. Krystal lives in a house of 6 people, 7 including her.

A little about her behaviour, getting her housetrained was not a problem she certainly picked up where she goes to the tiolet in no time at all. When she sits in her our garden she frequently barks and growls @ people passing by, which is more of a nervous thing, I really hope to stop this before it she takes it to the next level of biting, but I Dont think that will happen if im educated in how to stop it.

So Im beginning to train her, get her more confident, because at the minute she is not a confident dog, for she wouldn't be barking at people, A confident German Shepherd is fearless and is so confident in its own ability it doesn't even need to bark or growl at strangers......

I thought I could get more help training her, if I explained her situation and where she came from, Thanks for now.

hope i can get help training my german shepherd bitch.
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM

Get her into puppy kindergarten as soon as your vet okays it.

I would also start getting her to meet as many different types of people as possible. Have weekly puppy parties, where visitors will give her treats if she approaches on her own - if she stays away from strangers, have them toss treats in her direction, but otherwise ignore her. Take her on the road, and get passersby to give her treats, or alternately, feed her yourself as people pass by. The entrance of shopping centres, pedestrian malls and outdoor cafes make perfect places for this.

Remember

- not to reassure her with pats and 'its okay', - you're actually reinforcing her fear. Ignore her unless she is approaching someone and being social, and then quietly praise her.

- let her set the pace - don't force her to approach people until she's ready.

Best of luck! (Patricia McConnell's booklet "Cautious Canine" and Deborah Woods "Help for your shy dog" are both very helpful reads.)
Old May 27th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Senior Contributor

You should start training puppies as soon as you bring them home, but it's never too late. GSDs are very intelligent and willing dogs with a strong drive to work. If they are frustrated in this (and working could be something as simple as carrying a backpack or fetching) they may become destructive or aggressive, as any dog may.

Quote:
When she sits in her our garden she frequently barks and growls @ people passing by, which is more of a nervous thing,
This is normal for a guardian breed defending it's territory. The thing is have control of it and the way to do that is to be "the boss". The alarm barking is genetic, so you can teach her that a couple of barks is "enough" and that her job is done.

Obedience training will boost her confidence and teach her that she can trust you to keep her away from harm, and that you will handle the situation. Training will also socialize her more and get her used to all kinds of people and dogs.

You're right - none of this will happen unless you take charge.