Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 7th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Another Crate Question

It's past 12:30 and I'm exhausted but in here posting instead of asleep. Hubby and I are having an argument about the dog being in his crate at night. He has always wanted the dog to sleep in our room and I've always insisted he be in his crate where it's safe. He's fine in his crate, it's for bedtime and when we're out of the house. Otherwise he is with me.

Lately he's been testing us and trying to assert himself. There was a thunderstorm that woke him a few nights ago and he barked so we brought him upstairs. Now he tries it every few nights and my husband doesn't want to use the crate at night. I can't sleep knowing he's not crated. He's still into everything and I've pulled things out of his mouth that he was ready to choke on, he chews on cords etc. He's better than he used to be but if we're asleep he knows we're not watching. Also if he's on the bed he'll nip at us to wake us up.

I'm not being mean. It's for his safety. When he's older and out of the puppy stage the crate will get packed up. He's never in it when we're home except when we're sleeping. Oh, and he does like his crate. If I've been out and he's in his crate he's not unhappy, and he'll wander in there during the day and play or rest.

I really see this as him trying to get the humans to do what he says. He barks, hubby takes him out. And hubby also thinks he should give him table food if he barks for it. I told him that I never give him any and he doesn't bark at me when I'm eating. If he refuses to give him any he won't bark at him either. But he says, it doesn't matter.

I am certainly ready to rehome my husband !! If someone doesn't give me something I can show him in black and white I'm placing an ad. I know it's difficult to place an older hubby but he's had his shots and doesn't have accidents in the house.
Old April 7th, 2006, 11:49 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Why can't the pup sleep in your room with you?
Old April 8th, 2006, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama
I am certainly ready to rehome my husband !! If someone doesn't give me something I can show him in black and white I'm placing an ad. I know it's difficult to place an older hubby but he's had his shots and doesn't have accidents in the house.
Hee hee as long as he's well-trained, some woman somewhere will scoop him up quick.

What about moving the crate into your bedroom? When I had the two little guys here, they fought me to stay free in the house (one of them wanted to sleep with Boo so badly, but she was a chewer), so we let them sleep in the bedroom with us with the door shut. Maybe you could just block her off, though (she's probably not as curious as two 8 week olds... That's what I'd do, but then again, I have almost no furniture in my bedroom, so it's easy for me to say.
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hee hee as long as he's well-trained, some woman somewhere will scoop him up quick.
Prin, are you offering? I'll pay shipping and handling.

I've tried the crate in my room but he absolutely hates that. My goal is to correct him and train him well enough so that I can do away with the crate. That's the big issue here I guess. Hubby is not much for disciplining the dog. I wish that I had let him take the pup to his classes so he would have learned more about handling dogs. If he's cranky and the dog nips at him to play he gets irritated but if he's in a good mood and the dog nips he'll sit there and let him chew his hand. I see it as not that different from raising children. You can't blame the dog for misbehaving if he doesn't KNOW he's misbehaving. And I think that, like children, it's better for the dog to know that he's not the one in charge.

Last night we had a thunderstorm, which disturbs Cooper but doesn't terrify him. So I brought him into the office with me and did some work. When it was over I took him back and put a treat in the crate and he gobbled it up and then plopped down as though he were finally going to bed after an exhausting day. Too cute.
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi jacking my own thread here. Last night and this morning Cooper snatched a napkin and then a paper towel. Two of his favorite things in the world to chew on. hubby tried to get them the pup runs and clenches his jaws tight. Tom is trying to pry them open, dog has a death grip.

Well last night and today I called him into the kitchen he came to me and then OPENED HIS MOUTH AND DROPPED THEM at the "leave it" command. Granted, I was standing by the cabinet where I keep his treats and he knew he's be rewarded but I didn't offer the treat in exchange. I took out the treat AFTER he dropped the paper.

How am I doing??

Oh, and the other night he had chewed off a hunk of a basket and I went over to him and opened his mouth and he sat there patiently with his mouth open while I fished out the wicker.

Be patient with me--I just have to brag a little. We made sooo many mistakes with Joey, but these boards have helped me so much that I'm excited about doing better with Cooper.
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Your husband is being very unfair to your puppy. Sometimes it's okay to nip, bark for table food etc, and sometimes it's not, depending on your husband's mood. How is a puppy supposed to know what your hubby's mood is?

Poor dog is getting very confused. How is he to learn the rules when they keep changing all the time on him?
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Your husband is being very unfair to your puppy. Sometimes it's okay to nip, bark for table food etc, and sometimes it's not, depending on your husband's mood. How is a puppy supposed to know what your hubby's mood is?

Poor dog is getting very confused. How is he to learn the rules when they keep changing all the time on him?

YES EXACTLY !!! That's what I tell him ALL THE TIME !! I think I'm finally getting through to him because he can see the progress in the dog. I sat down on the sofa to have a snack in front of the tv and Cooper curled up next to me and did not so much as make a sound or try to sniff my food. Even though it was in snatching distance. Good as gold. So that DID show Tom that he's a smart dog and can learn what's acceptable !! And he was a little embarassed that the pup dropped the paper towel for me and not for him. So maybe he'll follow my lead, so to speak.

And I keep telling him that it's not because I want to be mean to the dog but because I love him. Cooper loves people and I want him to be well behaved so that he can be around when company comes and not have to be leashed or crated or constantly corrected. I would like him to be welcome in other peoples homes etc. I think a well trained dog has got to be a much happier dog.

Just so you won't think he's an ogre. He's a great guy. Loves the dog, never complains about the cost, and is actually very insistent, even if money is tight, that the dog has the best food, keeps up with grooming, vets etc. We're still paying off the vet bills from Joey. He'll spend time clipping his tushie fur. Things like that. He's very responsible in every other way, but he's a super big softie when it comes to dogs. (I'm lucky he was smarter about the kids.)
Old April 8th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama

How am I doing??
woohoo!! way to go joey and mom. it's so nice to have these little successes...