Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 21st, 2004, 11:59 AM

excessive barking

Can anyone help me with a good way to control or "curb" Baileys barking?
She is part Beagle, so I know thats part of the breed, but she barks at everything that moves! We are in the process of going through clicker training (only 2 weeks so far) and she is doing really well, but the barking is something we havent addressed there yet, so Im wondering if anyone here has tried anything that worked well..........
I dont mind if she barks when a new person comes to the yard or somehitng, but I want to be able to get her to stop when I have determined its fine - maybe a command like "hush" ....... any ideas how to go about this??
thanks so much!
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I keep a bowl of dog treats on my desk so that I can redirect her attention to me instead of whatever it is that she is barking at. Sometimes this works, sometimes it does not.

I spent all day Saturday helping my mom put vinyl siding on her house. Her standard poodle barked the ENTIRE day. It reminded me that Missy is really not that bad.
Old June 21st, 2004, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

What you can do is say Bailey "enough"....When she stops,praise her.

When my one GSD Yukon would bark at nothing,I used the word "enough".He picked it up pretty quick.It got to the point where I only had to look at him and he would stop......LOL
Old June 21st, 2004, 01:39 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Beagles oh boy!

Actually you may want to find out from some Beagle breeders/rescues since this is a big problem for the breed that ends up getting many of them dumped in shelters.

Old June 21st, 2004, 01:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Barking is one of the number 1 complaints about dogs. Beagles are known for this. I have two in my neighbourhood. Also a Golden who has been barking for 10 years!!

Here are bunch of links about curbing barking. Hope one of them might help you!
Barking
Old June 22nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is my idea. When your dog starts barking, spray him with a bit of water and say "enough!" to him. When he stops, give him a treat and lots of praise. I hope this'll work. Also you can try distracting him with obedience commands.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well that spray bottle idea may work with cats, it usually doesn't with dogs. Especially dogs that don't mind getting wet.

Beagles are feisty and will probably turn that into a game on you, may make the situation worse. In a timid dog, a spray bottle can make them fearful of water and your hands...and you don't want that.

However, distraction usually works best toys, chew toys, bones, balls, anything. Remember what a two year old kid is like? Well there's your puppy! Gotta keep them occupied and active!

More exercise the better!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 03:42 PM

Thanks Luba and everyone all good ideas, I am trying keeping treats and my clicker with me at all times and when she starts barking I check it out and then tell her "enough" when she stops I click and give her a treat - it seems like its starting to help - the click and treat are a huge motivator with her
so wish me luck!
LR- I REALLY appreciate the link- Ive only read a few of the articles so far, but they are very helpful!! Thank you!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky rescue,just wanted to let you know,i have been searchin hi and low for dvds and books on wolves in packs,and that barking link got me to where i could order them,thanks..............
Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Keep in mind, sometimes your dog is smarter then u

She may bark just to get treats if you use that clicker too often. It's a tough one, you wanna not reward bad behaviour but reward good behaviour.

So you get stuck sometimes trying to stop the bad behaviour then rewarding when it's stopped.

Tricky to get it down pat but I'd slow down on offering treats when she stops barking....or she'll swing this around on you thinking that you give her a treat 'for' barking!

Maybe try to distract her when she starts. My Sadie is a collie and some collies tend to be very vocal. Well, Sadie is one of them, she is a loud and persistent barker. She just does it for play or attention mostly.

I either ignore her, get up and walk away from her and turn my back on her until she stops. Then after a few moments I go get her ball or take her outside. But I don't reward her with treats, I know she'd really trick or 'treat' me!!! LOL If I started that!
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:02 PM

Thanks Luba- youre right...... so far when I teach her new things I only do treats until I know she understands and then I jsut praise, but I will defietely be very careful with this one! it can be hard to distract her sometimes be she is so focused on what shes barking at that she doesnt care aobut much else
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Most welcome I hope it works out for you!
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well that spray bottle idea may work with cats, it usually doesn't with dogs.
It works with the little dogs, anyways. But distraction with obedience commands works just as well.