Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 24th, 2004, 01:12 PM

crate training

I did not crate train Bailey when we first adopted her a few weeks ago (and have no way of knowing if she was before that) I am thinking now that it would be a good idea. I know it would have been easiest at the beginning, but do you think its possible now, and how would be the best way to go about it?
I work from home, so I am home most of the time, but leave for appts occasionally for an hour or two - and its at these times I would crate her - for her own safety and my sanity what do you think?
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

If you think Bailey might destroy stuff, or mess on the floor, then crating her for an hour or two is probably a good idea.

Here's a bunch of links on crate training:

Crate Training
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog loves his crate,when we are home he will go in take a nap,if i am mad at him,he will go lay there,best thing ever made in my opinion,i used to think it was cruel,but from day one i used it,and so glad i did..
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:56 PM

I kind of feel like an idiot because I crate trained the puppies that we fostered (my first time with it) and I swore it was the best thing ever- but Im not sure why I didnt do it from the beginning with her..... I guess becsue she is slightly older (9 mo- they were 6 wks)
she doesnt generally have accidents in the house, VERY rarely - but mostly because she gets into trash and sometimes finds the kids toys and chews them when Im gone.......
thanks so much for the link again LR- Im going to read them right now - gee I guess I better bookmark that site huh?!
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I think crates are great. It's the dogs own personal space...they can go there to nap, to snack on treats and whatever they please - except the washroom of course
In the morning I tell Briggs "home" and she goes straight to her crate, then I give her a treat. They will asociate the crate with good things and will not mind going there... I really don't think it's ever too late to train a dog to use a crate - as long as they associate it with something good.
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

yep,as soon as i grab my purse and open cabinet where treats are he runs right in without a word spoken,.............
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM

thanks -
so now - what is the best size for her? she is beagle mix- 30 lbs, about 18" floor to back and 29" butt to nose
and any suggestions on where to find a good price one - maybe used? dont see any in the paper.......
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Mine is 36' he has enough room to stand and turn,which is what i am told you should go by....
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Senior Contributor

It should be big enough for the dog to stand, turn around, and move a bit in. If your dog is about 18 inches off the ground, then maybe a 20-24 inch tall cage would work. The Bargain Finder is a great on line paper. Just search for it, I don't have the link right here.
Old June 25th, 2004, 06:36 PM

thanks spoiled - I found the link, but its for canada and I am in the states - Ill have to see if there is one here too :-)
Old June 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Even just check boards around your place, like in grocery stores, anywhere. Today I saw a "large size dog crate for sale" on one board. Of course, I live in Canada.