Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 6th, 2005, 09:48 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Can a dog have dry skin

I thought Joey had fleas as they dont have fleas in Alaska as it is to cold. But I have been told there are no fleas in the okanagan as it is too dry. Joey seems to be scratching a bit he does have a flea collar on as I thought this was the original problem

I am now wondering if he could have dry skin. My skin was very dry when I moved here from Vancouver and I suspect maybe Joey may be experiencing this. Does anyone know if there is something I can give him or spray on him for dry skin.
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:03 PM
-

Yes they can, it is very common in puppies but with them you should just leave it alone and it will pass. With your guy you can get a skin and coat supplement. Missing link is also quite good, a bit expensive but worth it. There are skin conditioners too but a supplement may work much better. Don't over bathe, and don't use human shampoo of any kind because it is designed to remove oils. Dog shampoos don't. Brush as often as possible, it will help to produce oils and spread evenly over body.

The best way to check for fleas is to look on the undercarage near the back end. There is little or no hair and it is warm so the fleas seem to gather there. If the dog has fleas you will either see a flea in this area or flea dirt. If there is nothing, they probably don't have them.

Last edited by StaceyB; August 6th, 2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:21 PM

It could also be allergy-related too. Right now in Montreal, it's ragweed season... Jemma gets itchy the first day that there is any ragweed pollen out.
Old August 6th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Definitely - and allergies. My Eskimo doesn't have fleas but he scratches - keeps pace with me.
Old August 7th, 2005, 12:12 AM
-

Yes allergies are more and more common in dogs, they are allergic to many of the same things as us especially environmental.

Does he go swimming?

Last edited by StaceyB; August 7th, 2005 at 12:14 AM.
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:24 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

If it's just dry skin then omega 3 caplets will help to alleviate the dryness. They can't hurt either way and help to keep a soft and shiny coat.
Old August 8th, 2005, 03:15 AM

I use that too

Instead of buying the same thing for my dog but in pup packaging that makes it more expensive, I just give him one of my Omega's once every week or so. I pop a cap and pour it on his food, and I think he likes the taste.
Old August 20th, 2005, 01:32 PM

3V Caps

Have you tried 3V Caps? My dogs don't have any more skin problems and have a great coat now too. I have found the best prices at www.vetdepot.com