Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Jogging with my Goldendoodle puppy...

I have been doing some light jogging with my 11 week old, 14 lbs goldendoodle pup for the past couple of days, just around the block or through the park, never more than 10-20 minutes and at a light pace. She loves the exercise! She hates walking on the leash (she has anchoring issues) but when jogging slowly she is right by my leg the whole way. Someone told me that I should avoid jogging with her until she reaches a year old because of her joints and bone development. I know that it could be harmful to take a puppy on a 5k, but what about a 15 minute light jog 2 times a day? She is not at full speed, and of course I go at her pace, slow down when she wants, etc. I can't see the harm, she loves the exercise, but of course I don't want to hurt her. I will ask the vet when we go for her next set of shots, but I'm just looking for some opinions in the meantime.
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Well my breeder, Lab, said no jogging till at least one year old and many say not till 2 years. I can't see why your dog should be any different, it's still a large dog.

As I understand it part of the concern is the straight line motion, which is repetitive. Think repetitive strain injury. Consequences may not show up till much later in life.

Here is a rule of thumb that made sense to me: Forced exercise, which is what you are doing, allowed on a hard surface for 5 minutes per month of age twice a day. This is NOT to be jogging. Off leash play on a soft surface unlimited because puppy can rest, stop when she likes, vary her speed and direction.

I followed this rule loosely. My pup was not leashed or on a hard surface but I was walking a trail and at his young age he was virtually forced to come along with me for fear of being left. This is a great way to teach recall by the way. Anyway, I think you are forcing your puppy in the same way. She wants to come with you because that's what puppies do.

It will be interesting to hear what your Vet says. Has your Vet cleared puppy for being out in public before being fully vaccinated?
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:09 PM

Yes, my vet has said it is fine to take her in public around my area. Just to clarify, I am jogging very slowly, while she is more like prancing, and much of it is on grass and not in a straight line. She stops to smell around, pee, etc. I am not talking about straight jogging the whole way.

Just to add: Until I speak to my vet I will stick to brisk walking. If I go slower, she anchors down and I have to drag her along, which is very frustrating plus she doesn't get the exercise she needs and barks, whines and howls for hours when I have to leave her in the crate (which is never for more than 3 hours at a time, max twice a day, but usually just once). If she has a romp with another pup or runs around a little, she is much better in the crate. If there are any other ideas how to give her the exercise she needs, I would love to hear!

Last edited by Rory_123; July 13th, 2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Here are a few articles for you to peruse. As for exercise, at his age just simply playing with him in your back yard will be sufficient to tire him out. May be a good time to start teaching him to fetch.

http://www.exercisemydog.com/puppies...-probably-not/

http://www.philipcrammond.com/labrad...ising_tips.htm

http://www.mastamariner.com/puppy_ad..._exercise.html

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory_123 View Post
Yes, my vet has said it is fine to take her in public around my area. Just to clarify, I am jogging very slowly, while she is more like prancing, and much of it is on grass and not in a straight line. She stops to smell around, pee, etc. I am not talking about straight jogging the whole way.

Just to add: Until I speak to my vet I will stick to brisk walking. If I go slower, she anchors down and I have to drag her along, which is very frustrating plus she doesn't get the exercise she needs and barks, whines and howls for hours when I have to leave her in the crate (which is never for more than 3 hours at a time, max twice a day, but usually just once). If she has a romp with another pup or runs around a little, she is much better in the crate. If there are any other ideas how to give her the exercise she needs, I would love to hear!
That is the ideal exercise for a puppy her age - play with another puppy or with you on grass.