Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 17th, 2002, 08:13 PM

Unhappy Puppy Tantrums

I have a 15 week old Scottie puppy who has little tantrums and bites me. She gets really mad if for instance I wipe her feet or go near her mouth.
I have tried lying her on her side and holding her down while giving her a good shake at the scruff of the neck and saying "No!" and "STop it!" but she still does it.
She is quite dominant and was the most dominant in the litter. Any suggestions?
Old March 19th, 2002, 02:06 PM

I found this article at Boxerworld on puppy chewing and biting, maybe it will help.

Biting and chewing are perfectly normal behaviours for a puppy. Pups bite in play as it is all part of the learning process - they need to bite in order to learn bite inhibition. They also bite as they lack the self control of an older dog and get very excited when playing. Puppies chew as they are teething and chewing eases the pain of the new teeth coming through.

When your puppy bites you there are several ways you can handle this. Many people have success with giving a little 'yelp' or 'ouch' when a puppy nips them, pulling their hand away. You can also immediately stop playing with the pup when he or she bites you, do not scold your pup or say anything, just walk away and ignore them for a couple of minutes. It does not take them long to learn that if they bite the game stops.
Do not worry too much about puppy biting, they will grow out of it (they will, we promise) and with sensible training your pup will learn self control and bite inhibition. Never, under any circumstances, hit or strike out at your puppy when she bites, this sort of punishment is not understood by your dog at all.

Puppy chewing is also normal. When teething your pup will chew practically anything. So if you find your new $100 pair of shoes in pieces, do not scold your puppy, rather scold yourself for leaving them out so the pup could get them! Take care during the teething time to make sure there is nothing dangerous lying around for your pup to chew - this includes electrical cords. Provide appropriate chewing toys for your pup. To stop them chewing on furniture purchase a product designed for this. There are many good brands available at your vet or local pet store which have a very bitter taste to a dog but will not damage your furniture.

Chaces are your puppy will chew on something inappropriate. When you see them doing this scold them with a verbal reprimand ("Agghh" is good said in a deep voice), remove the object from them and then give them something they are allowed to chew. If you consistently do this it will not take long before your pup understands the 'rules' about chewing. Remember, to them there is no difference between a chair leg and a chew toy, but because you are training fairly and consistently they will soon only chew the toy. Puppies will grow out of the need to chew when they finish teething. Expect to have bouts of chewing until your pup is around 15 to 18 or so months old.

Buddy: Waiting at the Bridge. Flashy Fawn Male Boxer. May 4, 1993 to February 21, 2001
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:27 PM

Unhappy Cockapoo tantrums

I am having tantrums from my 13 week old male cockapoo, Sage. My mother is home when him during the day. He is on a leash so he has a limited amount of freedom to where he can go. His crate, litter pan and toys are accessible to him. Today, my mother said that her and my brother was downstairs and when they came up, Sage had tossed all of the litter out of the box. This is the first time this has happened. What do you think the problem is.
Old June 21st, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Cockapoo is a dog,right??? A litter-pan? Maybe she was offended
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:04 PM

Cool Cockapoo tantrums

Yes, a dog. Maybe you should look around on the web as far as dog litter training, since you have never heard of it.

I have had HIM (not her) since April 30th. I don't he is offended. He actually uses the pan. I was asking someone that has experience with puppies having tantrums. Thanks.
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Chico (Anita) was 'joking' since it's not common place for dogs to use litter pans.

It's actually 'NOT' a good thing to train a dog to do either. They become accustomed to going indoors and it's a hard habit to break.

Scruff shaking is not recommended, it encourages the dog to be agressive to you and makes the dog afraid of your hands. It can encourage fear biting.

All puppies bite, chew, chomp and nip...it's part of teething and socializing.

Redirect the biting into something, give a toy or a bone to chew on.

If puppy starts to jump up and bite stand like a statue, don't move until the behaviour has ceased. Then get a toy and play or do some obedience training.

NEVER yell, shake, hit or smack a puppy or dog. Use only positive reinforcement.

Get the puppy out around other pups and dogs and let it socialize this is very very important behaviour they can only learn from one another.