Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old December 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Why spay/neuter your pet?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, and I definitely agree it's the responsible thing to do. My question goes out to those that feel it's irresponsible not to spay/neuter your pets. Why do you feel it's so important to do that to your pets when you don't feel the need to do it to yourself? Think of all the starving children in the world. Do we need to populate the world more? Again I'm definitely for spaying and neutering your pets but I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on the subject.
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

For me it's because I work in rescue and also with shelters. I see how many are killed per day, per week, per month, per year. I am only aware of this death rate within a small region. I was also on the phone with another rescue in Ontario last night that was quoting the euthansia rate there. If you add it up millions of animals are killed all because they were born and sold to people that did not make a life committment to that animal. Then there are the 'accidents' that happen and then again numbers added to the death rate. I cannot even imagine what happens in rural areas.

I guess after 15 years of trying desperately to save them I am all for spay/neuter. I also believe that everyone should be obliged to do so if they are not reputable breeder.

There are those that disagree with me and that is fine. I am in the trenches trying to save them and I also SEE the ones I cannot. This will haunt me forever.

There are medical reasons as well, but my reasons are based on the living, dying and dead.
Old December 5th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Geek Club CEO

I don't think there's a relevant comparison between the sterilization of companion animals and human (over)population.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
I don't think there's a relevant comparison between the sterilization of companion animals and human (over)population.
No there is not but I can only speak about animals. Humans are not my thing...well you know what I mean Bendyfoot.
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Geek Club CEO

I hear ya. Your post is right on. I just think the OP should consider rephrasing the question if this is really a discussion they want to have.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:06 PM
-

I think it needs to be rephrased as well as I find it a little confusing.
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM

You make a very good point. I believe that animals should have some of the same rights that people have. In my opinion, putting an animal to sleep is no better than murdering a human being. I feel there should be better programs to assist shelters.
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by suparnikkay View Post
What's confusing about it? I really don't see the difference between an animals life and a human beings life. In my eyes they have the same value.

Quote:
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, and I definitely agree it's the responsible thing to do. My question goes out to those that feel it's irresponsible not to spay/neuter your pets. Why do you feel it's so important to do that to your pets when you don't feel the need to do it to yourself? Think of all the starving children in the world. Do we need to populate the world more? Again I'm definitely for spaying and neutering your pets but I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on the subject.
The confusing part I found was Your post seems pro-spay/neuter
Quote:
I'm not saying it's a bad idea, and I definitely agree it's the responsible thing to do.Again I'm definitely for spaying and neutering your pets but I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on the subject.
but you state:

My question goes out to those that feel it's irresponsible not to spay/neuter your pets. Why do you feel it's so important to do that to your pets when you don't feel the need to do it to yourself? Think of all the starving children in the world.

So IMHO that is confusing?? No?

Last edited by Diamondsmum; December 5th, 2008 at 04:54 PM.
Old December 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Yea, uh, Im not going to spay myself because of the irresponsible people out there that cannot afford a child.. Thats a very Crazy statement that you've made and is in NO way at all, even remotely close to S/N a animal! Im appaulled that you would even say that!

No to mention the fact that, Humans will ussually have 1 child every 9 months (Most ussually stop at 3-4 children) Where as dogs cats ect. Can have 4-12 babies TWICE a year! Totally different!
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.

Last edited by babymomma; December 5th, 2008 at 04:56 PM.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:01 PM

The world is overpopulated with people as much as it is overpopulated with cats/dogs. The reason I bring this up is get people thinking. I'm not trying to say that I don't agree that spaying/neutering your pets is the responsible thing to do I'm not saying that we should do that to a human being either. But I feel that this subject needs to be explored.

They are definitely two different subjects but at the same time they do go hand in hand. They have their similarities in many many ways. And for those of you that think that overpopulation only happens in third world countries, think again. How many homeless/orphaned children do you think there are in the United States? Do some research.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
No to mention the fact that, Humans will ussually have 1 child every 9 months (Most ussually stop at 3-4 children) Where as dogs cats ect. Can have 4-12 babies TWICE a year! Totally different!
Actually, the majority of cats and dogs don't even get the opportunity to have babies and there are parents out there on welfare with ten children.

Of course you may not be one of those parents but you're also not the type of person to let your pets have babies and give them up to a shelter.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Actually, the majority of cats and dogs don't even get the opportunity to have babies and there are parents out there on welfare with ten children.

Of course you may not be one of those parents but you're also not the type of person to let your pets have babies and give them up to a shelter.

Ummmm have you heard of puppy mills? 100+ dogs having puppies in deplorable conditions? I think there was recently 3 busted in the news.

Kiiji.ca at moment has IN ONLY Toronto 5185 Puppy for sale posts now if there say a minimum of 3 puppies per litter... That isnt Majority of cats & dogs having babies?? That is only DOGS.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

These are my thoughts.
Dogs and cats are not capable of thinking logically, as humans are. Or at least they aren’t capable on the same wavelength as humans. They do not know that if they have two or three litters a year that the probability of those litters ending up living a full, complete, safe life is not good. Humans should be able to distinguish that.

I am more familiar with the cat so will address them. Cats have a litter and six months later forget that those babies are theirs. Yes, they recognize the fact that they know that kitten but they forget it’s theirs. Separate a cat from her kittens for a few months and then reintroduce them. Watch the mom’s reaction. She wants nothing to do with the kitten. Unless it’s an intact male. Then she will mate with it.

A human can (or should) be able to make a decision to have sex or not. We do not have intercourse only to reproduce. We also are not capable of spitting out 6 to 14 babies a year. A female cat can and will go into estrus at any time that an intact male is around. It does not matter that she just had a litter of kittens. Often she will abandon that litter once she becomes pregnant again. Or, worse, she will kill and eat them. Let’s hope humans are above that.

Can you imagine the euthanasia rates if all cats are allowed to reproduce whenever the spirit moves them? The illnesses, diseases, cats dying at a young age from mammary and testicular cancer? Can you? Do you want to?

And lastly, as so many others have already said, live their lives and see how quickly you decide to get your cats/dogs fixed. You get the 3 AM phone call to come take a dog away from someone who is beating the crap out of it. Or the call to pick up a litter of kittens abandoned on the side of the road. Walk in BenMax’s shoes for one day. Visit some shelters where they are about to put down 100 cats or more because they have no homes for them. Listen to some of the horror stories then decide if your dog/cat should be fixed. Heck, come visit me for the morning when I am feeding my crew.

We all value our pets’ lives. We do what is best for them. We get them fixed to extend their lives and to stop the madness.

Oh, and I AM fixed! I had my three children and made a decision to have no more. Cats and dogs can’t do that.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
Ummmm have you heard of puppy mills? 100+ dogs having puppies in deplorable conditions? I think there was recently 3 busted in the news.

Kiiji.ca at moment has IN ONLY Toronto 5185 Puppy for sale posts now if there say a minimum of 3 puppies per litter... That isnt Majority of cats & dogs having babies?? That is only DOGS.
I think that's a very ignorant statement to make, yes it's true about puppy mills. But those are bad people doing bad things. The same thing could technically happen to human beings however we have better laws in place to protect human beings. I don't think the issue with puppy mills is that the animals are not spayed/neutered, the issue is that there are not better laws in place to protect those animals.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Their choice!Dogs and cats dont have that choice. If they did, do you honeslty think that they would make the choice to have 12 or more babies yearly? And BTW- Alot of people on welfare that have 10 children (Around here anyways) They have them for a bigger check.

Accually im not a parent at all. At 15 years old i have better sense then most parents out there though.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old December 5th, 2008, 05:22 PM

I believe that this is not about human versus animal, rather about the circumstances in which animals find themselves. If a human was told that he/she can NEVER have s*x for fun or to reproduce, yet they still had all the urges and hormones, they would be uncomfortable and stressed all their life. And if someone were to say ‘there is this procedure, its safe, simple and even has health benefits, and it will eliminate all your urges and frustrations due to hormones” I am certain that majority of people would say “YES PLEASE!!!!” Just like we choose to have our wisdom teeth removed to eliminate the complications that can arise from them. We don’t need wisdom teeth, all they do is give us headaches and created problems, so we remove them. Same thing with animals and their reproductive organs, they don’t need them in this life, it just creates problems for them.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."

Tags
neuter, spay