Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:30 PM

Is my Cat putting my dog in his place?

Ok, I have a new puppy, the 13th of July will mark his first month with me.

Now he's been bothering my cat ever since I got him, and now today my cat has decided to grab him by his neck and hold on with his teeth, and wrap his arms around the dog.

Is this my cats way of putting him in his place? I cant keep my cat off him now. He grabs onto his neck and holds him there until I rush to seperate them.

Has my cat had enough? Should this worry me?

And my dog goes back for more punishment.
Old July 4th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Smile

one of my cats will go for the dogs,when i first got prince he would wind the cats up, all he wanted to do was play but they wasnt impressed, she didnt bite him she would claw him, it got that bad we had to keep them apart for sometime and then slowly start letting them be together first with him on a lead so you have control. they live together fine now but she will still put him in his place (and my new pup angel) if he trys to play with her.
Old July 5th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Could he be trying to play? My cats play-fight and there's lots to kicking, hitting, and biting involved, but they never actually hurt each other.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:16 PM

The minute I brought Audrie home she was all over the cat, Scout. He mostly just stands there and takes it, but sometimes he will tackle her and "play-bite" her throat. They play all the time now and never hurt each other. Just make sure there's no real hissing or angry noises...you can usually tell when they are serious.

I didn't think about whether to let Audrie play with Scout or not, but it might be too late to get her to stop. She's rather disrespectful sometimes! He gets very annoyed. Poor kitty!

Old July 7th, 2006, 10:37 PM

my dog and cat play fight all the time, and when my cat gets really into it he will try to claw and bite around my dogs ears - but always in a playful way. Neither one of them has ever hurt the other.
Old July 8th, 2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Contributor

When T'Grrr (RIP :sad: )was a kitten, he'd scream like he was being killed while play-fighting with Den-Den. I'd think it was getting too rough and would separate them. As soon as I got them apart, T'Grrr would launch himself onto Den-Den and they'd be at it again. In fact, we originally called him Tigger, but changed the spelling and pronounciation to T'Grrr because it fit him better. They loved each other. Den-Den would sleep curled around him.
Attached Images

Old July 8th, 2006, 02:48 AM
Senior Contributor

They really did love each other!
Attached Images

Old July 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM

That is so cute! Awww!
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:50 PM

That is so cute!! And it sounds just like my guys. Wink (my cat) will make noises like that too, but half the time when i pull them apart Wink just goes for Jasper (dog) with all hes got. Its hilarious. Unfortunately Jasper is a lot bigger then your doggie so the size matchup isnt perfect
Old July 24th, 2006, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Nanook (dog) and Travieso (cat) get into it alot more. Sometimes they wont quit no matter how many times I break it up.

They cant be next to each other without one or the other starting something. They will run around the livingroom and kitchen divider and chase each other and knock down anything in their way.

My family all insist that they are playing.

I wait for the day they can cuddle with each other without having to start a quarrel being play or otherwise.