Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 6th, 2013, 08:32 AM

Cushings disease in dog...maybe?

Possible Cushings Disease in Dog
So my poor old dog (12 years old) has been suffering for almost 3 weeks with diarhea and I took him to the vet on Monday and had blood work done. Apparently his liver enzyme levels are "through the roof" so I was given a few options for next steps to confirm cushings. First, they put him on Tylosin and some special canned food for a few days to help his tummy but he doesn't eat it all the time (not a breakfast eater). The diarhea hasn't improved at all and now that the canned food is done, he doesn't want to eat his normal kibble.

As a bit of background, cushings was suspected a year ago but at the time I could not afford all of the expensive tests to confirm it. To compare his liver enzymes from then to now, they've increased.

I'm wondering if diarhea is a symptom of cushings and what, if anything can be done to "clear it up" while we go through the process of diagnosing him.

Also, what is the quickest way to confirm the disease and location of disease without breaking the bank? I'm seriously at a loss here and don't want to see him suffer, it can't be comfortable.
Old June 8th, 2013, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

If all the liver enzymes are elevated, Cushing's would not be my first guess. If only the alkaline phosphatase is elevated, then maybe, though there are other things it could be. This could be liver disease, could be tick disease, could be a number of things without further information.

Has this dog been on steroids for any length of time?

ketoconazole, a cheap antifungal, is often used in Cushing's, a trial might be warranted if they really think cushing's and have eliminated the other things.
Old June 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM

Cushing

Hi,
The inexpensive test to screen the CUSHING disease is a urine test called Urine Cortisol Creatinine Ratio.
But I don't think your dog is having Cushing if he has acute diarrhea.I think an ultrasound abdomen,specifically liver,might give a clue.Ruling out neoplasm is very important at this point.

Last edited by Harryb; June 9th, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Old June 9th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Another thought.

The stimulation test that can diagnose cushing's is very expensive. Can they tell anything from just a resting cortisol? That test is much les expensive.
Old June 9th, 2013, 01:22 PM

Urine Cortisol Creatinine Ratio would be the best screening test at this point which is less expensive.
Old June 9th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I didn't see your post above mine when I posted earlier, sorry. What you say makes absolute sense!