Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:27 PM

are first airedale was from a breeder the parents and grandparents were show winning dogs. he had severe allergies that we had horrendous vet bills for. are next dog was a mixed breed that we rescued, he must have been abused as he came with issues. that dog loved are family more than i could have imagine. we then rescued another airedale. beau. he is healthier than are first one was. he is also more loving and family oriented.if i had wanted to do agility or other sport he would have been great because of his drive. would i only take a rescue. for sure. it is what you put in you get out.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by free View Post
are first airedale was from a breeder the parents and grandparents were show winning dogs. he had severe allergies that we had horrendous vet bills for. are next dog was a mixed breed that we rescued, he must have been abused as he came with issues. that dog loved are family more than i could have imagine. we then rescued another airedale. beau. he is healthier than are first one was. he is also more loving and family oriented.if i had wanted to do agility or other sport he would have been great because of his drive. would i only take a rescue. for sure. it is what you put in you get out.
So true, just because a dog/cat has a lot of ribbons, doesn't mean the pet is healthy.

I know a highly respected breeder of himalayan's. She's got a room full of ribbons for her cats that she breeds, however, they all seem to have nothing but sinus problems.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Would you get rid of your registered GSD to make room for a rescue, Masha? GSD's are the great dog they are entirely due to dedicated breeders in the past caring about all the attributes you value in them. I do like to give them credit. I wonder if the rescue GSD is going to be sounder than the dog the breeder sold you? You could adopt one and find out I guess?(Or adopt 6 then we'll both be equal on 7 dogs.)
I know plenty of breeders who adore their dogs, it really isn't uncommon.
lol seriously..?? Of course I would not get rid of my guy! this is an absurd question to say the least. The reason why I would never get rid of him is because I love him and he is part of our family, not because he is a purebred GSD.

I also came to realize that the values I love in him have nothing to do with him being a GSD but rather him being a dog. My in laws have a lab and I grew up with a Poodle and a Dobey, and the traits i loved in all of them were common to all the breeds. They were all loving with the family, not because of their breeds but because of them being a dog.

Next time we are ready to welcome a dog into our home, I guarantee you it will be one that we adopt from a rescue or shelter. I will gladly share with you my experiences then.

I know that in my family and extended family, after owning purebreds, the 100% consensus is 'we will adopt going forward'. Because we realized that what we love in them is them being a dog, not them being a specific look of dog.

I dont know why you are taking this so personally, I have nothing against you. It is great that you love and care for your dogs, but I do not understand why you are trying to argue that rescues are not as good. A general person will read your post tomorrow and change their mind about rescues.... that will be sad.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM

we should have a like button so i could like free's post so true

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old February 3rd, 2012, 01:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masha View Post
I dont know why you are taking this so personally, I have nothing against you. It is great that you love and care for your dogs, but I do not understand why you are trying to argue that rescues are not as good. A general person will read your post tomorrow and change their mind about rescues.... that will be sad.
Masha, I love the way you put things!!!
Seems like every time there is a thread started on rescuing vs breeding we always get the same response. One would figure if there was nothing to feel guilty about one would not respond the way they do. Really folks, this ISN'T about YOU! It is about the BAD breeders who breed dogs continuously and relentlessly. Maybe you've heard about them? They are called PUPPY MILLS, BACK YARD BREEDERS, ETC. They are not called ETHICAL breeders.

THIS is what we (rescuers or just plain ol' people who give a hoot) are fighting against! THIS is what WE want stopped!!!! (graphic images btw)
Attached Images

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Seems like every time there is a thread started on rescuing vs breeding we always get the same response. One would figure if there was nothing to feel guilty about one would not respond the way they do. Really folks, this ISN'T about YOU! It is about the BAD breeders who breed dogs continuously and relentlessly. Maybe you've heard about them? They are called PUPPY MILLS, BACK YARD BREEDERS, ETC. They are not called ETHICAL breeders.

THIS is what we (rescuers or just plain ol' people who give a hoot) are fighting against! THIS is what WE want stopped!!!! (graphic images btw)
OH MY FACK!, I think I'm going to be sick. I am bawling now ,this is so very sad. And they call us a civilized society??

Please people, go to shelters and rescues to adopt, please stop getting your pets from breeders, kijiji or pet stores (unless they adopting out on behalf of a shelter. These pets are NO WORSE THAN ONE YOU WOULD GET FROM ANY BREEDER BUT YOU WON'T BE SUPPORTING THAT BREEDER TO CONTINUE! All they want is to be loved.

You forgot one thing, 14+: Those who don't get their cats fixed and let them outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or dump them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
OH MY FACK!, I think I'm going to be sick. I am bawling now ,this is so very sad. And they call us a civilized society??

Please people, go to shelters and rescues to adopt, please stop getting your pets from breeders, kijiji or pet stores (unless they adopting out on behalf of a shelter. These pets are NO WORSE THAN ONE YOU WOULD GET FROM ANY BREEDER BUT YOU WON'T BE SUPPORTING THAT BREEDER TO CONTINUE! All they want is to be loved.

You forgot one thing, 14+: Those who don't get their cats fixed and let them outside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or dump them!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm sorry my friend. Sometimes shock therapy is the only thing that gets through. I hate those images too but they are readily available anywhere on line. There are page after page after page of them.

It's the dumped cats, the unfixed cats, the "oh, it's past being a cute kitten so we don't want it anymore" cats that I deal with daily. I can't take any more. I have had 4 that were supposed to be fosters dumped on me now. 2 are 11 years old. The other 2 are 4 or 5. I have three others that I have adopted who are FIV+ and are in their own special room. Until people change their attitudes and stop thinking cats are fine on their own things just won't change. It is so bloody sad.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 3rd, 2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you 14+K for posting the picture.
This infact is the REALITY. Hard to see, stomach and we as a society are RESPONSIBLE for this.
Thank you.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Those pics are gut-wrenching(sp?)it makes me just incredibly sad and furious,I wish I could knock it into peoples heads,that this is murder on a large scale and they are responsible for it
and no,we are not a civilized society,as long as we treat animals as so much garbage.
Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:49 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:

I think it should be safe to say that everyone here wants exactly that stopped as well. I sure do!
Old February 4th, 2012, 02:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:

That's an honest answer, thanks. But, as Erykah said, everyone wants it stopped. In the meantime you are just not going to be able to rehome every dog and cat these people, plus all the irresponsible owners in the world, put in shelters. It is impossible, tragic, and sadly, true.
Old February 4th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Goldfields, would it be ok with you if we get back to what was intended in regards to this thread.
It would appear that you have highjacked it and it turned into something that was never intended.
Out of courtesy and respect to the OP, can you do this? No response required.
Thank you.
Old February 4th, 2012, 08:42 AM
150% PRO S/N

Unnecessary. BM said it all.

Last edited by 14+kitties; February 4th, 2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old February 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

You know,we often talk about the atrocities in China and many other countries,but we,as a civilized country are not exactly practising what we preach,we have horrific factory-farms,puppy-mills,butcher seals inhumanely,gass cats/dog,by the thousands.
We allow cats/dogs to be mutilated to suit the unethical owners,our animal-cruelty laws are practically non-existent,etc,etc...are we really so much better???
Old February 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
150% PRO S/N

The Starfish Story

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "I made a difference to that one!"

Just as in this story we aren't trying to save them all. But we can make a difference to the ones that we do. Every single human can make a difference if they would care to try just a bit.

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
The Starfish Story

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "I made a difference to that one!"

Just as in this story we aren't trying to save them all. But we can make a difference to the ones that we do. Every single human can make a difference if they would care to try just a bit.
Perfect! Just perfect.

Please people save that one pet's live and adopt from a shelter or rescue , you will be rewarded.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 4th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Great story Gerrie and so very true!
I just got a bit down in the dumps after those pics yesterday,that's why I wrote what I did.
Old February 6th, 2012, 12:18 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
That's an honest answer, thanks.
L4 - I hope you don't mind if I hijack just for a moment........

Y'know, I was going to leave this comment alone but it's been bothering me - a bit. Not a lot. I really am far too busy with more important issues to allow it to weigh on my mind THAT much. But still - making this particular comment gives me pause to wonder. Does the member who made it believe that when we post anything or answer threads that we are not honest in other cases? Just wondering.

Ever since the great ban of 2011 I have been very hesitant to post much of anything here. I hate feeling like every word I post is being picked apart and analyzed to see if there is maybe some hidden agenda. I'm not alone in feeling this way. And btw - this IS still under the category of a "rant", right? As such, It should be allowed to stay? Do you all think it would be possible for you all to be a little kinder in the words you use as well? I have noticed in the last week or so a few members making comments far far worse than were made back before the great ban. Maybe we could all try extra extra hard to be nicer. Then maybe we could be one big happy family.

Thanks for letting me say my piece. Will be interesting to see if it makes it unscathed.

Old February 6th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I just want to say that it is this "Forum" and the great people on it that has convinced me to "Rescue" next pet I want to add to my family. I never realized the number of unwanted animals.....It breaks my heart.
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I just want to say that it is this "Forum" and the great people on it that has convinced me to "Rescue" next pet I want to add to my family. I never realized the number of unwanted animals.....It breaks my heart.
Marty11 - thank you. It makes this all worth the while then. It is a domino effect. You have learnt this and you will pass it on and so forth. Numbers grow stronger just by keepiing an open heart and mind.
Thank you so much.
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
L4 - I hope you don't mind if I hijack just for a moment........

Y'know, I was going to leave this comment alone but it's been bothering me - a bit. Not a lot. I really am far too busy with more important issues to allow it to weigh on my mind THAT much. But still - making this particular comment gives me pause to wonder. Does the member who made it believe that when we post anything or answer threads that we are not honest in other cases? Just wondering.

Ever since the great ban of 2011 I have been very hesitant to post much of anything here. I hate feeling like every word I post is being picked apart and analyzed to see if there is maybe some hidden agenda. I'm not alone in feeling this way. And btw - this IS still under the category of a "rant", right? As such, It should be allowed to stay? Do you all think it would be possible for you all to be a little kinder in the words you use as well? I have noticed in the last week or so a few members making comments far far worse than were made back before the great ban. Maybe we could all try extra extra hard to be nicer. Then maybe we could be one big happy family.

Thanks for letting me say my piece. Will be interesting to see if it makes it unscathed.
You are a God in my eyes, 14+, I don't mind anything you do, because it will always be from the goodness of your wonderful heart

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Thank you .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Believe me,were we ever to get a dog or another cat,without doubt we would go to a shelter
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

My next will most likely be a rescue too, just going to have to be picky on temperament if Malinios or Dutchie and if I don't go with the ringsport dog right away, it will be a Dogo hands down, from a shelter.
I'm NOT against rescue at all.
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I'm still looking for my shelter Siamese or Him. Its been awhile now but when I reached out back in the day the best help I got here was "Check your local shelter".... Local classifieds have plenty, shelters here not so much
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I'm still looking for my shelter Siamese or Him. Its been awhile now but when I reached out back in the day the best help I got here was "Check your local shelter".... Local classifieds have plenty, shelters here not so much
OMGosh Erykah..the shelters have them. I pull them along with domestics every 2 weeks. Also, there is a rescue that has only purebreds.
If you are seriously looking I can help you. PM me and I will tell you where to go.

Suki (who just passed away) was from a shelter. I also have a lilac point and an oriental red. All from shelters.

Infact I am picking up a pregnant siamese and another adult on Wednesday.
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I just wanted to point out something I noticed in this thread and many others that I have read over the years.

All of our differences and sometimes harsh but true words have made a difference!!!

Banned or not banned members we have all contributed in making a difference when it comes to rescuing vs purchasing. I have read over and over again how many people have said that their next pet would be from a rescue or a shelter!!

So kudos to everyone that has a comment or an opinion because it DOES make a difference and all we really can do is try to educate those that dont know or havent learned as we have already!

Not trying to highjack!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I just wanted to point out something I noticed in this thread and many others that I have read over the years.

All of our differences and sometimes harsh but true words have made a difference!!!

Banned or not banned members we have all contributed in making a difference when it comes to rescuing vs purchasing. I have read over and over again how many people have said that their next pet would be from a rescue or a shelter!!

So kudos to everyone that has a comment or an opinion because it DOES make a difference and all we really can do is try to educate those that dont know or havent learned as we have already!

Not trying to highjack!

Cindy
Well said Winston! Thank you.
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post

Not trying to highjack!

Cindy
Good post!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 7th, 2012, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
http://sdg.ontariospca.ca/2-adoptions-cats.shtml

Janelle