Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:20 PM

Cool Aggressive toward smaller dogs since her third Birthday

Charlette is a Chocolate Lab crossed with a wired Hair terrier until last Spring she was everyone favourite dog. She played well with every dog. I use to walk her off leash in a park close to my home. Many other dogs where there and they would chase charlette. She loved this.
All of a sudden she starting attacking other dogs. I mean pinning them dog with her jaws around their neck. Actually didn't bite or draw blood.
I know she misses those walks I have found new places to take her and have keep her on leash, sometimes you just want them to be able to run. She loves to swim and that is hard to do on a leash. If I just walk her she does not get tired.
She is Okay with big dogs, I let her play with dogs twice the size of her if they have lots of fur.
The vet said there is nothing wrong with her.:
Old April 23rd, 2009, 04:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Did the vet run any tests?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM

Charlette agression

no he said that is was normal
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

It most certainly is NOT normal!!

You need to find a new vet. Sudden unexplained aggression could indicate a medical issue and tests should be run.

Once you determine whether it is medical or behavioural, then you can work on the issue either through medication or training.
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:23 PM

You should talk to a dog behaviourist. You need to determine whether it's actually aggression, or if your dog is just correcting another dog. You'll have to give a really detailed description of what happened in each case (a good behaviourist will also want to see it in action to draw their own conclusions), what were each of them doing at the time, was the dog that yours pinned being rough, or rude in any way, etc. This will tell you what the root of the behaviour is, because dogs typically don't pin down another dog for no reason. It is a good sign that there is no broken skin or blood, a bite is typically not a dog bite unless the skin is broken, so your dog is showing restraint, and the behaviour sounds more corrective than aggressive. But, I'm no expert, and you should discuss this with someone who is, and can give you better tools and insight to work with it.

If you are really concerned that your dog isn't getting enough playtime with other dogs, you can always get a soft muzzle to wear at the offleash park until you are better equipped to deal with it off. Some will avoid you, but others are more understanding and willing to let their dogs play, just be sure to talk to them about it so they understand first. And last of all, try and be as calm as you can. Dogs can really sense how you're reacting to a situation, and if you are stressed, they get into protective mode a lot quicker. If you're relaxed and in control, they will be more relaxed as well.

I'm sure this is pretty stressful for you, but don't worry, you'll get through it!
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:29 PM

One more thing to add - it can never hurt to get a second opinion from another vet, just in case.

It may seem like it sprang up suddenly, but before the first pinning incident, did she show any other signs of being a more dominant mannered dog? When she was around other dogs, did she ever growl or bark to correct, try to mount, or try to put her head over the backs of the ones she was playing with? I'm just thinking that it could have escalated over time, but you just didn't know the signs to look for?
Old April 24th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I agree you should see another vet to have test done and see a behaviourist.some dogs do grab other dogs by the throat in play.but most of them are dominate dogs.i have two dominate dogs here and they grab each others throats in play and the side of each others heads.i do know it's in play.

It would be a good thing to see a behaviourist as they will be able to tell you if it is aggression or not and how to deal and correct the behaviour.
Old April 24th, 2009, 04:21 PM

MissyMouse, I would follow Lynne_B's post. She has given you a great deal of good advice.
I would also like to add, when you get your vet check done (you should be getting bloodwork, fecal and urinalysis, these are very basic tests usually done in an annual) ask them to check her thyroid. An over/under active thyroid can sometimes go unnoticed for months, even years. Often times one of the first symptoms owners notice is aggression. Sometimes it is sudden aggression, other times it's a slow process.
I do think you should think about switching vets, a good vet will test before he tells you nothing(or something) is wrong. Perhaps other members in your area might be able to reffer you to a reputable, caring vet.

Good luck with your pup!
Old April 25th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Wink Charlette

I had three different dogs in my life and four different vets and none of them have done anything other then check their ears and heart and gave them there shots.
When Charlette hurt her paws I called the vet they put me on hold for 30 and decided to treat her myself.
Charlette does get along with my mother's dog, and I did buy her a husher (like a muzzle but its cloth. She refused to walk and spent the whole time trying to get it off.
I'm not sure where to find a good vet.
Thanks for help everyone