Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 29th, 2013, 07:54 PM

Poisonous mulch

I just thought I would post this, I didn't know it was a hazard and maybe someone else doesn't either. A woman had a Yorkie puppy that died very suddenly, and after testing by experts it was found that the puppy had chewed on some mulch she had put around plants. The mulch had poisonous mushrooms ground up in it, which killed the dog. It never crossed my mind that mulch could be harmful.
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

People should also be careful about walking their dogs on sidewalks in the summer as people will spray bleach on the weeds to kill them . I been seeing a lot of people doing this in my city and it really piss me off as the people do not put up any signs warning people there is bleach or weed killer on the sidewalks
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I didn't realize that was a problem with some mulch. I know that the cocoa nulch is bad too.

Now that I have a small dog, I also worry more about the toxins on the ground. I try to keep her away from the really green lawns in the neighborhood - usually a sign of a lot of fertilizer and chemicals.
Old July 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I was out walking my dog once and a guy hand a container on his back and was spraying the weeds then burning them. And there where no signs warning people to keep their kids and dogs off the weeds. I tried asking the guy what he was spraying but he would answer and after trying a few times I realize he was deaf and I do not know ASL . The guy worked for the state so the city had no idea what was being put on the ground. It would had been nice if someone from the court had put some signs up.