Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 28th, 2004, 09:48 AM

HELP! My dog is a whiner

This has been happening more and more lately. Last night We went to bed, and the dog has been doing this whimpering whining thing. She is allowed in the room at night and on the bed. I think she just wants some attention or wants to play or something, but I cant really say for certain. I noticed that she is too short to see on the dresser if she stands on her hind legs and whines alot to get up there, all there is up there is hair product and make-up. When she starts up I take her outside immediatly but she does nothing. She has a crate but prefers to sleep on the couch or on our bed. Just wondering what to do about it because we cant sleep, I tried locking her out of the room but thats worse. Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem? or have had a similar problem? I have tried to say "quiet" in a stern voice and that does nothing. She is home alone during the day so Im assuming thats when she sleeps because shes up for the better part of the night.
Thanks
Sarah
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe when she is on the bed, she sees herself in the mirror. Missie used to do that and whine. She thought that there was another dog in the room. Funny little only stopped when I put her up on the dresser to check outh "this other dog"
Old October 28th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

How old is your dog? What breed? Has she been checked by your vet? How much and what kind of exercise is she getting every day?

How often is she fed?
Old October 28th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

We go through the same thing sometimes.. what do you do when she whines? Do you pay attention to her? Pet her? Give her what she wants?

I found that if ou ignore her long enough she might begin to understand that acting that way will not get her attention. It's like when they whine to get out of the crate and you let them out... they begin to understand if I do this I get attention...

We have a doggie bed beside our bed and Briggs sleep in there, once and a while she sleeps in our bed, but only when invited.
Briggs used to whine when she wanted to sit on the couch with us. She would whine and whine until we would look at her and then wag her tail... that's all she wanted. BUT you have to be stern and not let it get to you.. ear plugs might help for a bit...

LOL, I could be the mirror too! That's funny, and VERY possible!
Old October 28th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
How old is your dog? What breed? Has she been checked by your vet? How much and what kind of exercise is she getting every day?

How often is she fed?

She is 6 years old, we have had her for a few weeks now, she was at the vet a week ago and goes in for her second round of shots in 2 weeks or so, She is a ****erspaniel X. I take her for a walk everynight. Her bowl of hard food is always full along with the water dish, she gets soft food everynight.
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiec
We go through the same thing sometimes.. what do you do when she whines? Do you pay attention to her? Pet her? Give her what she wants?

I found that if ou ignore her long enough she might begin to understand that acting that way will not get her attention. It's like when they whine to get out of the crate and you let them out... they begin to understand if I do this I get attention...

We have a doggie bed beside our bed and Briggs sleep in there, once and a while she sleeps in our bed, but only when invited.
Briggs used to whine when she wanted to sit on the couch with us. She would whine and whine until we would look at her and then wag her tail... that's all she wanted. BUT you have to be stern and not let it get to you.. ear plugs might help for a bit...

LOL, I could be the mirror too! That's funny, and VERY possible!
When she whines I ignore her the best I can, she really is relentless. I also tell her to be quiet in a stern voice or take her outside to pee (which she never has to) This has just recently started so I had to ask about it. Thanks for your help
Old October 28th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija
Maybe when she is on the bed, she sees herself in the mirror. Missie used to do that and whine. She thought that there was another dog in the room. Funny little only stopped when I put her up on the dresser to check outh "this other dog"
I will definatly try that tonight, Im sure she can se herself in there and I never would have thought!

Thanks
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

This is a 6 yr old dog who has probably lost the only home and people she ever knew and you have had her only a few weeks.

It will take time for her to adjust to her new home, and to understand that she is staying there. She probably misses her former owners.

I would feed her twice a day, at the same time every day. She should go for a long walk every night and maybe a quick run before bedtime.

I would not give her the run of the house right now, as this is probably increasing her anxiety since she may be a bit overwhelmed. You could gate her in one room during the day, and gradually give her more freedom.

You've tried crating her, letting her sleep on the sofa or in your bed. I would choose ONE method and stick with it. She is being given too many choices and that is not helping her settle in. Dogs need guidelines and rules, and you should be making the choices. Not knowing the rules is confusing her.

If you want her in your bedroom, you can put a bed on the floor next to yours, and leash her to the bedpost. She must learn that this means bedtime and time to be quiet. You may have a few sleepless nights, but she WILL settle.

All these things should help increase her confidence and decrease her anxiety.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:36 PM
banned user

Routine

Hi
Like Lucky said,shes new to this house and needs to feel safe and protected..as Dr Stanley COren says about rescue dogs,they need consistancy and routine

Keep a good solid routine in her life..so that she realizes that you are the one thing that is stable and good and consistant for her
Old October 30th, 2004, 12:54 PM
banned user

Feeding

If your dog is used to having food down all the time I would continue to do that. If she is not a pig and eats it all at once or is not over weight there really is nothing wrong with it being free feed. I have always free feed and never a problem. Do give the dog time to adjust to the new home though, poor thing is not sure what is going on. The mirror thing, yes we have a stand up mirror in the guest bedroom and Blaze loves to look at himself in there and he even kisses the mirror. Too cute, I guess he likes they way he looks... me too
Old November 1st, 2004, 10:26 AM

thanks for all your help and suggestions, she is doing alot better now and the whining has pretty much stopped, I think she is still adjusted and testing us to see what she will get!!!