Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 30th, 2005, 10:13 AM

what not to feed dogs

Are there any fruits or veggies that I cannot feed my puppy besides tomatoes and onions? She loves fresh fruit but I don't want to give her anything that could cause diarrhea.
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM
<-----nut ball

Anything in the Onion family is bad, so leaks as well. Garlic is in the same family, but not as bad, so feed in moderation.

I was told tomatoes are ok, just not the leaves or stems.

Brocolli is ok, but in moderations as well.

Recent studies say grapes (and therefore raisins) are bad...
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM

I have heard that grapes are bad, but does anyone know why? My dog loves grapes, and has never had a bad reaction to them (but she only eats a few a few times a day).
Also, why is brocolli bad? Just curious...
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:10 AM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

I think part of the reason grapes etc are bad is because of the seeds. We treat the vegetables and fruits with chemicals, and the fruit or veg stores the chemicals in the seeds.
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I would think that just like for kids, raisins would be bad for their teeth.
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:38 AM

Occasionally I give my little Chi some of those raw baby carrots. He seems to love them as a special treat (maybe once a week) and it hasn't seemed to give him any digestive problems at all.
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
banned user

Grapes are bad because they can supposedly cause a form of anemia. However, I have yet to find two websites stating the same thing about grapes. For saftey, i would say no grapes.
Here is a link to the Animal Poision Control Centre, they have al ist of items that you should not give your pets; http://www.aspca.org/site/FrameSet?s...nts/M01947.htm
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Performance Spaniels

I like this list.. It gives reasons why not to feed certain foods.

http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:45 PM

That's a good list! I have heard about the kidney failure from grapes before, and I'll bet you can find more than one reference to that one.

I've heard that soy and too many carrots can cause excess gas, which in big doggies can lead to bloat.
Old May 30th, 2005, 02:09 PM
banned user

I did notice that too many carrots cause Diego to have softer stool, just a little bit though, so I generally limit his carrots intake to just a few a day as treats only.

Chocolate and grapes are bad for dogs, those are the only things I remember.
Old May 30th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Performance Spaniels

I found that carrot doesn't get chewed up and digested very well.. so it comes out.. well more whole than it should...

I found by grating it or thowing a few baby carrots in the food processor, I can't even tell that she's eaten carrot. Not the nice satisfying chew a whole one might be, but not the mess the trots make either.
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

my dog eats all fruit and veg, and has for her li8fe of 9yrs. the only things i will never give her are cheeses, onions and citrus, any citrus is bad.

she eats grapes, but to be sure give in moderation a few a day or every few days is nice, my dog used to eat up to 1kg of green grapes (frozen like ice blocks but yummy) a week and never had any side effects, but i have cut her down a bit, mainly because of the price of grapes

carrot, broccoli, caulifouur, avocados, potato, sweet potato, tomato
(her fav), mushrooms, banaba, apples, strawberries, pipenos, passion fruit, gooseberries (but their a hassle as you have to peel them for her), mangos, apricots, pears, parsley, basil, and the list goes on and on and on and on. basically any fruit or veg i eat without onion, citrus or cheese.

i hads a friend who was an old hippy, he only ever ate curries. welll his staffie cross dingo, of course named ringo, uised to eat nothign but curry also,. ringo lived to 15yrs with absolutly no health probs and was an incredible healthy dog. so i sort of go along with the premis that they will eat like the owner, i am a vegetarian and my dog has a diet dominaated by veges and fruit, yseah she has meat but she prefers veg. she doesnot have bones any more due to an accident so now she has broccoli stumps instead for a bone substitute and she loves them, not to mention they do wonders for her teath.

so enjoy sharing your food, there is nothing nicer than sharing a mango on the beach with her, we sit there licking my sticky fingers and it is always a good laugh and fun. (not so fun when the little cow goes and eats every single strawberry in our patch, but spits the unripened ones on the ground, that makes me furious she should eat those too.). we now have gardens designed so that charlie can help herself, she often picks pepino a passion fruit, she will tear open the skin and lick out the insides, now thats a smart gal for ya who knows her fruit. :love:
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:54 PM

Why is citrus bad? Molly loves oranges, but I only give her tiny pieces and two pieces at the most. She's so small, I was worried about her having diarrhea from too much fruit.
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Owned by goldens

Foods to avoid

You want to avoid grapes, tomatoes and the core of apples, pears etc... The seeds are toxic. Grapes can cause kidney failure. I have read horror stories of how people lost their pets because of feeding grapes. Onions and garlic are also to be avoided. No corn or cobs of corn.
I give carrots, bananas, pieces of apple (no core) pieces of broccoli, celery, pieces of lettuce etc... All in moderation.
Old May 30th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

garlic in moderation is very good stuff, one clove a week or similar, check vet for dosage if your worried. garlic acts as a natural flea repellant and is good for blood health, too much thins the blods and is dangerous. i give 1 clove a week to a 35kg Germ shep..if infestation is bad a garlic juice mix can be made and applied to the coat, never used anythign else really...and most ppl i know use garlic as well for the same reasons.

i dont give citrus due to tummy upset and the vet told me not to, so i never did really.

appl cores are great, i even eat them. the seed in very very lg amounts is toxic and contains a similar chem to cianide (SP?) havent you heard all the johnny appleseed stories? he was said to be trippin off his guts the whole time due to the seed (he musta eaten lots of appples, apparently something like 200 apple cores in one sitting to get of your face). but having given my dog one a day all ehr life she has not yet tripped out and discovered the light fantastic at all. all in moderation is the key with anything, give sml amounts of whatever you realyl like and see if pup lieks it or doesnt.

look all dogs have differetn reactions sometimes, some are more sensitive and have alergies etc, just all in moderation and you will be fine. PS and you will be amazed at how many vege and fruit scraps are recycled, poor hubby cant take apples to work without bringing home the core, our girl just loves apple and he feels guitly for considering throwing it out, hes too cute.

have fun ansd all in moderation
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:34 AM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie
garlic in moderation is very good stuff, one clove a week or similar, check vet for dosage if your worried. garlic acts as a natural flea repellant and is good for blood health, too much thins the blods and is dangerous. i give 1 clove a week to a 35kg Germ shep..if infestation is bad a garlic juice mix can be made and applied to the coat, never used anythign else really...and most ppl i know use garlic as well for the same reasons.

i dont give citrus due to tummy upset and the vet told me not to, so i never did really.

appl cores are great, i even eat them. the seed in very very lg amounts is toxic and contains a similar chem to cianide (SP?) havent you heard all the johnny appleseed stories? he was said to be trippin off his guts the whole time due to the seed (he musta eaten lots of appples, apparently something like 200 apple cores in one sitting to get of your face). but having given my dog one a day all ehr life she has not yet tripped out and discovered the light fantastic at all. all in moderation is the key with anything, give sml amounts of whatever you realyl like and see if pup lieks it or doesnt.

look all dogs have differetn reactions sometimes, some are more sensitive and have alergies etc, just all in moderation and you will be fine. PS and you will be amazed at how many vege and fruit scraps are recycled, poor hubby cant take apples to work without bringing home the core, our girl just loves apple and he feels guitly for considering throwing it out, hes too cute.

have fun ansd all in moderation
Yes garlic in moderation can be okay for some dogs (always check with your vet). It is added in small quantities to some dog foods.
Every list I have read lists apple seeds as something that should be avoided. It is cyanide which we all know is a poison. In small quantities it may not make the animal obviously ill. How much is okay? In my opinion, my dogs will live fine avoiding apple seeds. There are so many other things to feed them. Why take a chance, is my question?
Old May 31st, 2005, 01:55 PM
Proud dog mommy!

Our dog loves cheese and comes running anytime it's taken out of the fridge. Is it dangerous? She only has it in small amounts and not often. What about pork? I've read some things that say not to give them pork and others that say not pork bones or raw pork.
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:02 PM

re: cheese

I am confused on that one. I remember my vet telling me to give my dog her meds by wrapping a piece of cheese around it. Is my vet nuts? Or is cheese one of those foods which okay, but in moderation?
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:52 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

We used to give our rotti apples and oranges quite a bit - as far as the seeds being cyanide - if any of you bite your nails, you're ingesting cyanide too. But I think that would be like poppy seeds showing up as heroin in urine drug tests - you probably have to eat a buttload to get that kind of result. Of course, every dog is different - so you might feed all your dogs apples and have one that has a serious reaction to it. And our GSD, Bunny, ate everything from citrus to chocolate (she loved m&m's). Also, you build up an immunity to things when you ingest them in small amounts over a long period of time - that's why you don't get cyanide poisoning from biting your nails!

I did find this site - I know that I had found another one that I think was better, but I didn't bookmark it and now I can't find it again

http://dogs.about.com/cs/disableddogs/a/poison_food.htm

Last edited by kandy; May 31st, 2005 at 04:54 PM. Reason: forgot something!
Old May 31st, 2005, 07:57 PM
Owned by goldens

what not to feed

http://www.mhhs.net/poisonous%20foods%20for%20dogs.htm
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess View Post
I like this list.. It gives reasons why not to feed certain foods.

http://www.starbreezes.com/11/foodsafe.html

I disagree with much of this. If I look at my dog food, it contains Avocado, Apples, Rice, Blueberries... All of which are listed as being "unsafe" for my dogs. Then to add that raw meats are dangerous because of parasites?

C'mon... Do you think that all of this existed 40 years ago? No. Dogs ate table scraps and countless other things. What do dogs in the wild eat... That's right, whatever they can find.

Here's what my vet told me... Peanuts (raw, unsalted), peanut butter, cooked eggs, avocado, mango, blueberries, rice, yogurt, oatmeal are ALL acceptable foods for dogs. And raw meat is good for them. Obviously if you purchased the food for yourself, you shouldn't worry about feeding them the trimmings.

If all of this were true on that website... why then is there a food called Avoderm - made from Avocados? Blue Buffalo uses many of these same ingredients (blueberries, apples, rice). Moderation is key to everything.

Avoid tomatoes, onions, most all nuts (except peanuts), grapes/raisins, cocoa/chocolate, peppers or any spices like nutmeg, cloves, etc.

When in doubt ASK YOUR VETERANARIAN!

Respectfully...
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pommie Mommie View Post

I disagree with much of this. If I look at my dog food, it contains Avocado, Apples, Rice, Blueberries... All of which are listed as being "unsafe" for my dogs. Then to add that raw meats are dangerous because of parasites?

C'mon... Do you think that all of this existed 40 years ago? No. Dogs ate table scraps and countless other things. What do dogs in the wild eat... That's right, whatever they can find.

Here's what my vet told me... Peanuts (raw, unsalted), peanut butter, cooked eggs, avocado, mango, blueberries, rice, yogurt, oatmeal are ALL acceptable foods for dogs. And raw meat is good for them. Obviously if you purchased the food for yourself, you shouldn't worry about feeding them the trimmings.

If all of this were true on that website... why then is there a food called Avoderm - made from Avocados? Blue Buffalo uses many of these same ingredients (blueberries, apples, rice). Moderation is key to everything.

Avoid tomatoes, onions, most all nuts (except peanuts), grapes/raisins, cocoa/chocolate, peppers or any spices like nutmeg, cloves, etc.

When in doubt ASK YOUR VETERANARIAN!

Respectfully...

Pommie Mommie, you have responded to a 7 yr old thread. Information has changed much since this thread was initiated. Some of the information is outdated, and some is still good. The best thing for anyone to do is check with their vet. And please, be careful when you say that raw meat is good for them. This is your opinion, and in fact, not good for a lot of dogs. I won't argue or debate the point, and for every article or study you can "google" showing the benefits, I can do the same, but on the opposite side. I know a lot of dogs thrive on it. But I also know some who had nothing but trouble. And when it comes to my boy, if I were to just listen to what people say, I could put him in harms way. Fortunately, I think for myself, talk to my vet and do my own research. I don't just "follow the masses" and go with what's popular. Yes, dogs CAN and do get parasites from raw meat, even "table grade". If they have a compromised immune system, which many dogs seem to these days thanks to indiscriminate breeding, raw can do more than just cause the normal parasites, it can also cause harmful and deadly infections such as Neospora. Again, if you have a knowledgeable vet, that's the best place to start.

Dogs in the wild do eat whatever they can. But those dogs don't have the same digestion/medical issues that a lot of domestic dogs today do. They have been bred, inbred and overbred. Thanks to backyard breeders and puppy mills, a large portion of our dogs are bred with congenital and genetic issues/diseases. You can't even compare them to wild dogs.

And as far as avocados go, it depends on the dog. Some dogs will have severe gastro-intestinal issues from avocados. There also hasn't been enough studies done to really know which part of the plant is toxic. Some say it's the leaves, stems and skin whereas others say it's only the pit, and others say it's the entire fruit. Who knows for sure. Yes, there are companies who put it in dog food, but does that mean it's safe? Nope... not at all. I know of a lot of dog food companies who also put onion in the food and say it's a small enough amount that it won't hurt the dog. Onion has a cumulative effect, so over time, even a very small amount can add up to enough toxicity to bring on IMHA in some dogs. So just because it's put in a dog food, doesn't mean it's safe. There are no regulating bodies when it comes to that, so it's buyer beware. And it's the same as grapes/raisins. Not all dogs will get kidney failure. Some dogs have to eat a very large quantity to be affected whereas other dogs only need a very small portion, and then you have the ones who are not affected at all. They don't know specifically what's in the grape that's toxic, or why some dogs aren't at all affected while it turns deadly in smaller amounts for others. My philosophy is simple... if there's a risk, why take it? There are so many other options for food and treats. If there's even a tiny chance it could harm my babies, they aren't going to get it.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012

Last edited by Rgeurts; December 2nd, 2012 at 09:21 PM.