Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 28th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Wish Me Luck!!!

I'm going to buy and decorate a Christmas Tree!!! I'm getting plastic shatterproof ornaments, no garland and no tinsel of course My Mom and I don't really do presents anymore so I need some pet friendly things to decorate under the tree with. Although no doubt everyone will have to sleep under the tree so I may not need anything. None of the present critters have seen a tree so this should be an adventure for everyone!! I will post pics!!
Old November 28th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

pattymac, I broke down last year and bought a tree, I bought a fake one, the first fake I've ever had. It was tough to do that, but I'm past the real tree warm and fuzzies now. I used to take my son out every year and here in BC that meant normally hiking through fields of mud to pick out and cut down the perfect tree. You'd slip, fall, get filthy, drink hot chocolate and then go home and curse the tree that wouldn't stand straight, fight with the knotted strings of lights, drop and smash a few ornaments, then on Boxing day pick the tree up off the ground after the dog and kid ran under it and put it all away until the next year!! Loved it then, now, yup, I'm past that. But I did want a tree. I also bought lovely, but non-breakable ornaments for the tree on account of the dogs. Of course the grandson isn't an issue this year, but by next year he will be, so plastic is fine.

Good luck to you, the critters will be fine. My cats never bothered the tree at all when we had them (tree's and cats...). With the dogs it was just their tails that got them into trouble. Ah the good old days....
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Haha!! We used to do the real tree back in Ontario, go cut our own, tie it to the car and hope it stayed there on the trip home. This will be fake, prelit, I hate doing the lights! My first cat, he climbed the first real tree but their fave thing was sleeping under it, I think it made them feel like wild kitties hiding out in the forest. I also learned to secure it very well to the wall! Oh well Noella should be good for a few laughs, Nino will probably hide for a bit, Coco will taste it and Bobee will....hmmm not sure what he will think about it. Bayley will sniff it and then pretty much ignore it.
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

We use to get a real tree when i was a kid.as we got older we changed to the fake tree.no needles to pickup.

You can buy the fake trees with the lights on them already or without lights.fur critters are going to have exploring the tree. good luck
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:34 PM

Never got a real tree. Growing up we had a fake tree so this is the way I have always went. And I do get the tree with the lights on them already so set up is a snap. The pets love to munch on it from time to time but do ok with it.
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good luck on your venture, pattymac!

I have a little fake tree that I'm going to try to set up on top of one of the kennels this year. Can't put lights or glass ornaments on it, but I have some hand-painted wooden ornaments that should be dog-resistant...or perhaps I should say "Brier-resistant"! I have another kit of the same ornaments so if Brier can't resist, I can at least paint myself another set.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Last edited by hazelrunpack; November 29th, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM

First, we are DEFINITELY going to need pics of what the cats and dog do to the tree
Second, Mom and I were looking at decorated example trees in Rona (We have a similar situation, haven't had a tree up in years, none of the pets have seen one, want a tree, and don't want to decorate with anything breakable or nonedible) Instead of garlands or strings of tinsel, they had these hugely long rolls of ribbon. Some of it was really expensive, but if I remember correctly the plain colors weren't too expensive, and as long as the cats don't spend too much time dangling off it, it's reusable!
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Ownedbycats, we use the ribbons on our tree also, not tinsel. The fake tree is 6' and prelit and cost $99.00. It's a piece of cake to set up. Love it! Once it's up and decorated you really can't tell it's a fake. My cats used to chew the bows on the presents under the tree that was our issue. Now next year if we get our male puppy we'll have to hope he doesn't lift his leg on it! It must be confusing to them to have an outhouse in the livingroom. I think we'll need to start a Christmas Tree thread and get pics of the tree's with the critters. It could be the Dec. challenge.
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I love that idea DD!! Noella's already been trying to open the box the tree is in, she knows there's something exciting in there!!
Old November 29th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

So tree is up and all the lights work..Noella checked it out and has decided that the box is more exciting...just like a little kid!
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Well there's a surprise the kitty finds the box more interesting than the tree! Gotta love the kitties. Actually, now that I think about it, last year was the first year we put the tree up, and Halo did like to sleep right in front of it.
Old November 29th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

she did climb it once but I don't think she really liked it and I had to help her out of it!! Nino knows he looks good on red so I have to get a pic of him lying under the tree.smart boy!!
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

LOL silly kitty.was the tree a breeze to put up.
Old November 29th, 2012, 11:18 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

very easy, 3 pieces and for 50.00 bucks it looks not too bad and I haven't decorated it yet.hahahahahah I have a neutered tree...no balls!!!!!
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL - Bob Barker would be so proud of you!
Old November 30th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

LOL.no baby trees for you
Old November 30th, 2012, 11:16 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 1st, 2012, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I would not dare to have a real tree in the house, Marty might think I brought him an indoor toilet as his gift.
Old December 1st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

My two more jag would think it was a big chew toy
Old December 1st, 2012, 07:42 PM

Back when I had a kitty, she used to climb the tree. It was only a 4 foot plastic tree but she never knocked it down.
Her fave toy was one of my hand-made lace ornaments. She'd get it no matter where I put it.
With Scruffy, I've never had a tree up. I have room now, but no tree. I don't think he'd care much - trees don't play fetch!
We definately want pics, though, especially if there are hi-jinx
Old December 1st, 2012, 08:10 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

well I think the novelty has pretty much worn off. I do have a rather sparkly kitty though! I hung snowflakes that were just irresistable so she managed to pull off all the bottom ones but I guess the sparkles don't feel good in her mouth so she just left them. So now I can try decorating the windows...never a dull moment with Noella around!!