Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old August 21st, 2009, 11:22 PM

Pregnant dog with worms?

My Pregnant Boston Terrier is due in a week or so. I think she has some kind of worms but not sure. Can't afford a vet right now. What can I do to treat itANCan I treat her or not?
Old August 21st, 2009, 11:37 PM
Doggie Wench

Is there any way at all you can borrow some money to see a vet? Or perhaps call around and ask if any would take installments? How about an SPCA or Humane Society, have you tried to call them for references to low-cost/affordable vets?

A pregnant dog should always be seen by a veterinarian .

HSUS has many links that you may find helpful in acquiring the funds necessary to ensure you dog has the the necessary care:

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/wh...nary_care.html
Old August 22nd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

and just what happens if your pregnant dog runs into other complications during this pregnancy or giving birth? Vet care is a MUST!!!! for any pregnant dog.

clm
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Senior Contributor

I cannot stress enough of the importance of vet support throughout the pregnancy. There are complications and if you do not get the right advice you can be jeopordizing the pups and not to mention your dog.

Has this dog ever been breed before? What was the dog breed with? If a larger breed there WILL be vet intervention required. Take it from someone going through this right now.

Beg or borrow the money. Your dog is relying on your support and assistance. Do not proceed with anything until you consult a professional.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

wake up!!!!!why did your dog get pregant?? if you have no money!!!, what happens if your dog needs a c section??? poor pup, i think more people need to do there homework brenda and the pins.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:06 AM
I'm a softy

a vet check up is step 1 when you decide to breed your dog, she should have been examined prior to the breeding and you must have a vet on the phone while she is in labour. A vet check and treatment for worms will not cost much at all and is very basic minimum care when you have a pet. Very minimum. Any parasite can cause major issues and make a dog very sick, and lead to the pups not thriving. Also pup care 101 is that they will all have to go to the vet anyway and be dewormed. Your dog is having to support the growing pups having a parasite robbing her too is asking for trouble. Take her to the vet asap it is the least you can do. Having pups is not cheap this is the smallest bill you are going to have for the next 3 months. You signed up for it, you are responsible for the situation she is in, excuses dont cut it. You must care for the dog, talk to your vet i am sure you know him well and ask if there is something you can work out. Usually when you have been with the same vet for a long time they will let you make payments. Good luck.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Please don't try to treat your dog with over the counter meds--they are often not very effective and they may hurt the pups. A vet can tell you what types of worms are present and prescribe something that will be effective against the worms without hurting the pups. So I'm going to agree with the rest and urge you to find the funds somewhere--mom and pups are relying on you.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:29 AM
Garden nut

You might be able to take in a poop sample and have it tested. Some vets may do that without seeing the dog, but some won't. Doesn't hurt to ask. Worm pills are cheap. I think the last time I got some from the vet it cost $6.

Have you seen any worms come out with the poo?

There's one that looks like spaghetti noodles, and another one that's smaller and white, or there could be tapeworm segments that wriggle out of the bum. I don't know how they diagnose heart worms - maybe a blood test?

And there are two types of treatments - an injection or a pill. I don't know how the injection works but most pills cause the worms to dislodge from the gut (like in the case of tapeworms) and either pass through with the poo, or are digested and absorbed.

And if the mom has worms, the pups most likely will too. They will need deworming as well.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper

Last edited by CearaQC; August 22nd, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
Doggie Wench

Is this about Gigi? I just noticed she isn't even quite a year old....please, please do whatever you can to get her seen by a vet...she's still a puppy :sad:.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Maybe you can find something in this thread to help.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59820

Please make sure your vet's number is on speed dial. Boston's are one of the breeds that can have lots of problems delivering. Many need a C section. Many do not survive; either the mom or the pups. :sad:
I urge you to read this article.

http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/102147565.asp

As soon as possible after the pups are weaned please have Gigi spayed. We don't need more pups in the world at this time.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by the gang View Post
wake up!!!!!why did your dog get pregant?? if you have no money!!!, what happens if your dog needs a c section??? poor pup, i think more people need to do there homework brenda and the pins.
Why did the dog get pregnant if they have no money??? All signs point to... to make money:sad:

Bostons are another of the big head/small birth canal breeds that frequently have c-sections.
My heart breaks for this poor dog.
Hopefully the OP will find some money in the event c-section is needed:sad:

I can't believe this post.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Is this about Gigi? I just noticed she isn't even quite a year old....please, please do whatever you can to get her seen by a vet...she's still a puppy :sad:.
AURGH! not even a year old *shakes head*
Its sad what people will do in hopes to make a buck, disgusting:sad:
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post

I can't believe this post.
Me neither
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:15 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
AURGH! not even a year old *shakes head*
Its sad what people will do in hopes to make a buck, disgusting:sad:
amazing eh,, just when you think you've seen it all.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Hate to cause controversy here, but we don't know this person's situation. Some of the comments being posted here could be perceived as judgemental. Although this is an upsetting course of events, this person is posting to ask for some help as opposed to muddling through this alone.

Does anyone know of resources which could help fund/finance this situation?Perhaps your vet could put you on a payment plan?
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
Hate to cause controversy here, but we don't know this person's situation. Some of the comments being posted here could be perceived as judgemental. Although this is an upsetting course of events, this person is posting to ask for some help as opposed to muddling through this alone.

Does anyone know of resources which could help fund/finance this situation?Perhaps your vet could put you on a payment plan?
I do believe that all this was provided. The frustration is that we do not know of the situation to the fullest however, if the OP does not relay whatever we should know then this is the result. In this case silence is NOT golden.

Many of us have been here for a while. We wish to assist but if the OP does not show any interest in finding out more then it leaves everyone with one impression - negligence.

I hear you, but people who have a legitimate question and want some serious answers or advice have to be open to hear what is said..
Old August 23rd, 2009, 08:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:

Macomom - While I respect and understand your comments there are some things that are very disturbing in the original post. Well, one big one. It's true we don't know the situation. All we can go on is the information given. The red flag was not being able to afford a vet.
If that is true that a vet can't be afforded for a simple thing like checking for worms what happens if/when the Boston has problems delivering? Bostons are one of those breeds where many females have problems delivering which results in a C section. Does the dog die because the OP can not afford a vet? Do the pups all die?
If the OP choses to breed then the OP should be finding a mentor to teach her all of the issues that go with responsible breeding before breeding her dog. The OP should not be breeding a dog that is not even a year old. If the OP had done that before breeding the dog then she would not have come onto a forum where the majority of the members are very pro s/n to ask a question which is sure to get judgemental answers.
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

BenMax and 14+,

I put many measure in place to never end up in the OP's situation. In no way am I condoning it. I just have concerns that OP os coming to the forum in critical situations posting a question and getting answers which could be perceived as judgemental.

Bottom line is get the dog to the vet. We all agree.

Do you think that offering alternatives like financing is going to be perceived as useful or calling the situation disgusting is? I am just not sure that offending the OP will work for the good of the dog...
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old August 23rd, 2009, 09:38 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
BenMax and 14+,

I put many measure in place to never end up in the OP's situation. In no way am I condoning it. I just have concerns that OP os coming to the forum in critical situations posting a question and getting answers which could be perceived as judgemental.

Do you think that offering alternatives like financing is going to be perceived as useful or calling the situation disgusting is? I am just not sure that offending the OP will work for the good of the dog...
Well see, that is where it is stated in the board's rules that if the situation is an emergency then the posters should not even be wasting time being on the internet. They should be getting to a vet.
If they don't have the money to go to a vet in an emergency situation then they should not be breeding a dog. Especially when they know nothing about breeding. How do I know that? Because a responsible breeder would not be coming to a majority pro s/n board asking questions about worming a dog who is #1: not old enough to be bred; #2: a breed of dog who may/can have many many issues with birthing. A responsible breeder would know the answer or would know where to find it. They have mentors or are mentors for these situations. Again, I am going to be judgemental. All of the above makes people who post in these situations back yard breeders. We have far too many of them in this world.

Yes, we are sometimes a judgemental lot. I can't change the way I am. I'm too danged old.
And at the moment so darned tired that I probably am not making any sense whatsoever.
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

the OP has two Bostons, a male just over 2 and a female under 1 year of age. Female is pregnant and she can't afford a vet. Also has two ferrets, male and female. Has posted once and hasn't given any other information. Based on the info that has been given when she joined and from her first post, you can only come to your own conclusions. My conclusion is she is breeding these animals to make money and wants to spend nothing to keep them healthy. Now everyone here is only concerned about the dog, it's age and it's condition as the dog has no voice of its own, she however can defend herself and prove us wrong in our conclusions but her silence has only confirmed my opinion of her.

clm
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:14 AM

Most vets will worm a dog at six to seven weeks in the pregnancy. Did you have prenatal care? The worms cut down on the available oxygen to the puppies because the eggs and microfilaria travel in the blood stream. And the adult worms in the GI tract rob the puppies and mother of nutrients.
If you care about this dog, see your vet now. It should have been taken care of weeks ago.
Old August 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:

Thanks Macomom - well said.

There's nothing more we can do in this thread.
Your pet needs to see the doctor.
Thx - Marko Admin
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread