Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 15th, 2002, 11:57 AM

Question your opinion

how do you guys feel about pit bulls?
Old October 8th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I love pit bulls. They get a bad rap that most of them don't really deserve.

As a general rule, very aggressive people often raise their dogs to be aggressive.
Very often these people will get dogs that have the potential to be vicious.
Dogs like Pit bulls Rotweilers do have this potential if you treat them harshly or ignore signs of possible aggressive behaviour.....but so do many other dogs.

However in my personal experience, I know several very docile Pit bulls and Rottweilers.

Treat most animals with love and kindness and you almost always recieve the same in return.

Marko
Old October 17th, 2002, 05:02 PM

i have a rottie,he is 6 years old.he had been very badly beaten and staved so i rescued him at the age of 2. he was quite a nasty piece of work and i had to be strong. it took me 6 mths to get him to come to me for a hug. it as been hard work but now he is very loveing and trusts me. but i still dont trust him round to many people at one time.i always seem to have to let him no who is boss i can play with him but have to know when enough is enough.this also applises to the dog.i wouldnt part with him now there for i am still very careful how i introduce him to new people.
Old October 17th, 2002, 10:54 PM

You must take your Rott to obedience classes. You need to be able to trust him in all situations and you can't do that if he doesn't know how to behave. He won't know how to behave until you teach him and you won't know how to teach him unless you go and learn for yourself. I have a Rott too, she is obedience trained and can be trusted to behave properly. This breed has a very bad reputation which is brough about by people not training them. Please enrol in a class.
Old October 18th, 2002, 03:49 AM

Red face

well i must say that this subject can get rather boring,i am not a nasty person but i have a rottie as you know.i am 46 and disabled.not all who have a pit bull or rottie wont them to be nasty.i recure our rottie has i have already said from the sort that bring the dogs up to be nasty. it isnt the dogs ITS THE PEOPLE.
Old October 22nd, 2002, 03:53 PM

i own 1 year old non-altered female pitbull
i'm 17 years old myself
i do not enroll her in obedience trainig
i do it myself
if you know how to do it why not do it yourself
"you won't know how to teach him unless you go and learn for yourself" by anne
NOT TRUE
and i am proud of the work that i've done ith her
she's very obedient
i have seen that some dogs that we meet that are much older than her and are much more disobedient.
Old October 23rd, 2002, 06:45 AM

Sure you can teach the dog to sit, stay, drop etc., but unless you have actually been to training class yourself you do not know all the commands. I trained 4 dogs prior to the Rottweiler I have now, she is the only one I have ever taken to formal training and I can assure you the difference is amazing. Sure the other dogs were obedient most of the time. Now I give one command, say it once only and she obeys immediately. I want my dog to come to me with one word from me wherever she is and immediately. I want my dog to drop to the ground on one command even if she is half a street away from me. My dog will heel perfectly off lead and on. If my dog is away from me and I call heel, she immediately goes around the back of me and sits at my left side. How is your training going??? Getting there???
Old October 23rd, 2002, 07:09 PM

obedience training

I think every dog needs to have obedience traning regardless of breed, my dogs did learn a lot. they are just the type of breed that are very stuborn but also very smart.
Old October 24th, 2002, 04:48 PM

Thumbs up Socialization

Most people that I come across that have chosen not to take their dog to obedience classes fall into 2 groups.

The first group are trainers themselves. By that I mean people that have taken the time,energy and expense to learn.

The second group are people that think that all a dog needs is to sit, heel, and stay. They are ignorant of the fact that besides learning different and new training techniques, obedience classes are EXCELLENT for socializing. The pup/dog gets to meet new dogs, understand how to interact with other dogs, other people and new situations. It's a win win situation.
Attached Images

Mahatma Ghandi
Old October 25th, 2002, 08:02 PM
Lab Loverr

Well all i have to say about this IS... I AM one of those people who chose not to take my puppy to obedience and Im sure as hell glad i didnt!!

First off: My dog(8 months old) is VERY socialized we go to a dog park everyday where there are tonnes of dogs... and have ever since he was 4 mos old. He plays with any dog that will play with him big or small. He NEVER growls.

Secondly: My dog knows a lot of commands.. mind you were are always teaching him new ones. He does them when instructed to only being told/ signaled once.

a) sit
b) lay down
c) roll over
d) shake
e) heal (AND YES he does come immediatly on and OFF lead.. to my leg)
f) come
g) sit pretty (up on hind legs)
h) leave it (sticks AND when food is left infront of him and he is told to leave it he does NOT touch it until he is told he can)
i) be nice
j) fetch
k) stay/wait
l) fully bathroom trained
m) catch (catch toys or food in midair)
n) he KNOWS his name (youd be surprised how many dogs dont know their name..)

we are still teaching him more as we think of them...

MIND YOU: I am not a trainer of dogs.. Never owned a dog before.

My dog knows hand signals for EVERYONE of the commands listed above and he obeys them verbally and through signalling... we use one or the other.. majority of the time hand signals at home and verbal at the dogpark.

So before YOU classify people into categories.. maybe you should open your eyes meet more people that own dogs... and dont be so judgemental..

I chose NOT to take my MALE dog to obedience because there is no need. AND THATS BEEN SAID TO ME TIME AND TIME AGAIN!

Ive proved it. If you dedicate yourself to your dog, build trust, comfort and have a rewarding relationship from the start... YOU DONT NEED obedience.. and i stand by my word. If i can do it anyone can.. read some books.. watch some shows... IT CAN BE DONE.

People like Anne and Jack Piss me off! Be open minded.

Just cause you couldnt do it on your own doesnt mean others cant!

So dont even!..

caramelito- I applaude your training especially with a Pit.

Anne- My dog is 8 months... how old is yours?? How much money did you waste??... I think you need to shut up now.

Have a nice night all!
Soon to be proud mum of Gilgamesh. (Olde English Bulldogge)

*Lab Lover [COLOR=red]<3[/COLOR]
Old October 26th, 2002, 01:28 AM

Obedience

FYI my Rottweiler is 20 months old. My other dog, a GSD is 13 years old. No, I have never wasted any money on them. All money has been well spent. My Rott loves obedience class and we will continue for as long as she enjoys it. Unlike some I don't have all day to wander around parks with the dogs as I work. I do however go to a leash free park when time allows.
Your Lab must be an exceptional dog to know all this at such a young age. They are usually older by the time they master all those commands. You must spend a lot of time with your dog. Good luck with all your future training.
Old October 26th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Lab Loverr

Oh and im a college student .. so i DONT have all day to wander around with the dog.

Old October 27th, 2002, 02:18 PM

Smile Obedience classes

My goodness choc, you've done great work with your pup and I hope it continues.

But I'm allowed my opinion as you are yours. We can agree to disagree without being nasty can't we?

You said " maybe you should open your eyes meet more people that own dogs... " My answer to you is I have lived a long time, so do have some experiences, but do not believe I have any great truths, or profound ideas. I have spent the last 28 years involved with animals, especially dogs, specifically GSD's. I am a PT student and a PT employee at a GSD kennel. Training, assisting in whelping when the help is needed, you name it,I've done it with dogs! On any weekend you can find me at some kind of dog show. Either handling or just there for the sheer thrill of seeing a herding dog like the GSD, work! So you see, I HAVE met alot of dogs and alot of dog owners.

You have a gorgeous dog and he sounds as smart as a whip! I hope your good luck with him continues!
Attached Images

Mahatma Ghandi
Old October 27th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Lab Loverr

Thats great. Apoligies about the other post. I was in a pissy mood and then i saw that. Sorry!