Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 13th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Kitten is sucking back paws

My kitten is 10 months old and a few weeks ago I noticed one of his back paws looked a bit discolored. A few days later I saw him sucking on his back paws. Could he have an alergic reaction? What is going on? Now it is affecting both back paws.
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

I suggest you get him to the vet. If he continues this, it could be serious.

He may have a medical problem, or a behavioral problem but whichever it is, it needs to be checked out.
Old May 21st, 2004, 03:02 AM

From the little information you posted, it sound like what my cat does. She was taken away from her mother way to early, and for some reason she started sucking her back toes. She's now 8 years old and now everyday before she has her afternoon nap she starts with her toe sucking. I think its like a baby sucking their thumb. I haven't noticed anything bad about this behavior (ie her teeth are still in proper ailinment, she doesn't get sick, her toes don't get chapped) so i let her do it. I've also had cats that sucked on blankets but they eventualy outgrew it. My personal opinion is that if it isn't hurting your cat, (instead its calming her) let her do it. If you encounter any issues (the teeth changing ailinment, chapping of her toe pads ect) then seek help to stop her behavior, but my cats that outgrew their nursing behavior did so at about 12-18 months.