Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old March 19th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Melinda what did the SPCA person say? Did they check her for a microchip?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

she will be coming back today, later in the day to scan her, 72 hours will be up by then and IF she is chipped...then the name is given to me (and they check it out also)and I decide what to do
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
You rock for taking this beauty in. It takes a while to put the weight on. I had a rescue Boo some of you will remember him he was maybe worse than Whisper. I found the best thing was puppy food I fed Boo about 12 cups a day for the first 2 months he was free fed unbelievably he was not a gulper ate slowly and would take breaks and lie down. Satin Balls were also used. Boo was 92 pounds when I got him a skeleton he gained about 100 pounds in about a year. He did have a very sensitive tummy and I had to be careful of his diet not to vary it much he could not tolerate change of food, he would get terrible diareaha. Something to look out for. Good luck and you will see changes in Whisper daily
seeing that poor dog laying down is like looking at Whisper, my god, breaks my heart!!!! I've slowly started adding mushed puppy food in her rice and she loves it...and so far it's stayed down, I can't free feed her yet because she eats till she's sick....so every hour I'm giving her almost a cup of food....when she starts leaving little bits in the dish, then I'll go free feed again to try. The vet looked over the recipe for satin balls and would like me to wait a few days for her tummy to "toughen" up, he thinks because of all the garbage in her guts that raw hamburg might irritate it or add more bacteria to whats already there, asked me to wait 10 days, but I'll definately be doing that when I'm able.
Old March 19th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

So they did not think this was animal abuse rather a stray thats been hanging around awhile? So sad isnt that no one else came to help her if she has been roaming free!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 19th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Senior Contributor

thats the strange part Cindy, Brina (my dog) and I came in an hour before I caught Whisper, on one side of me is open field, besides deer tracks ours were the only tracks, it had just snowed that morning and this was 1 pm, across from us is a field/bike path, same thing, our tracks and deers, other side of us is a trailer court, NO one saw her and everyone keeps their garbage bags outside....none tore open except the one neighbours that called me....so....can you figure it out? I think someone had her (not original owners) and just just dropped her off an hour or so before we found her....Brina and I walked around for over an hour. we do that daily, you'd think I'd have found something? and she leaves her marrow bones on our deck, would a starving dog not smell them and take them??? I don't know...complete loss here
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Melinda I wonder if she was left somewhere tied up in a yard for a long time and finally managed to get free..but what doesnt make sense is you said her collar fit her pretty good right? not as if it was hanging off her as if it had been on a bigger body? ANd if she had been tied somewhere you would think she would have alot of sores and stuff on her body...This one doesnt make alot of sense...I wish you good luck! your an Angel

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Could it be somebody found her as a stray, put a collar on her, then she got away from them?

I think it is very important to find the real owners especially if as you say, she is loving and well trained. She was not gotten as a puppy and left tied up on a leash in their back yard.

She could be a Sable, Bille, or Spencer, and she may have travelled as far away as Ottawa, Montreal, who knows. We would want anybody finding Sable, Bille, or Spencer to try their hardest to find their original owners.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 19th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

exactly love4, and you know she wasn't tied in a yard because there is no frost bite anywhere...not even the tips of her ears, nor are her pads cracked or dry....skin is dry because of being malnuturished.

and yes Cindy, her collar wasn't overly tight, nor overly loose, I could slip two fingers under it quite comfortably
Old March 20th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

How is Whisper doing today? I hope she has managed to eat and keep it down!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

she is doing super well today, wagged her butt off at the school bus load of kids when it arrived to pick up my daycare child...climbed a huge bank to do her duty....so then this almost 50 yr old had to climb up to clean it up *L* she had roughly 6 cups of rice/turkeybroth/canned performatrin puppyfood yesterday at different intervals and has kept it all down!! I can actually feel a slight....very very slight belly on her....I'm corresponding with a woman in Ottawa (very slowly) about a dog she lost last may, rotti/shepherd mix, female , spayed......medium size. She is microchipped so as soon as Whisper is checked, maybe we'll have our answer????
Old March 20th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,would that not be wonderful,if after such a long time she would get her dog back
Makes me think of Shirley and Sable,there is always hope
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh that is such good news that she is now able to keep good food down. I pray that you find her original owners (if they were indeed good owners).

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
believe me when I say she will NOT be handed over on a platter to the owners "IF" she is chipped or if I find them.
just a chance I have to take, someone seriously trained this dog...and it had to have been a family

I have two theories

#1. a loved pet gets lost....someone finds her, thinks she's a gorgeous dog and keeps her...loses interest.....dog is tied out back and fed on occasion

#2. loving family has to for some reason rehome their gorgeous well trained dog, finds what they think is a loving home.....it has been known to happen before...new family again looses interest....dog neglected or gets loose.
I rescued an Airedale who was very well trained, the best trained dog I ever had in fact, but the family still threw him out (back to the breeder in this case, lucky for him). Unfortunately, well trained doesn't automatically mean well loved :sad:

Quote:
thats the strange part Cindy, Brina (my dog) and I came in an hour before I caught Whisper, on one side of me is open field, besides deer tracks ours were the only tracks, it had just snowed that morning and this was 1 pm, across from us is a field/bike path, same thing, our tracks and deers, other side of us is a trailer court, NO one saw her and everyone keeps their garbage bags outside....none tore open except the one neighbours that called me....so....can you figure it out? I think someone had her (not original owners) and just just dropped her off an hour or so before we found her....Brina and I walked around for over an hour. we do that daily, you'd think I'd have found something? and she leaves her marrow bones on our deck, would a starving dog not smell them and take them??? I don't know...complete loss here
Very strange indeed. A stray/lost dog usually wanters relatively aimlessly around, checking everything out in a random zig-zag pattern. You should have seen something IMO ...

Quote:
I'm corresponding with a woman in Ottawa (very slowly) about a dog she lost last may, rotti/shepherd mix, female , spayed......medium size. She is microchipped so as soon as Whisper is checked, maybe we'll have our answer????
IF it is a case of run-away doggie then maybe this woman does deserve her dog back, depending on how and whe the dog ran, and how the search was done afterwards.
IF it's the scenario of re-adopted-and-dumped ... neither former owner should get her.

It could be ... third possibility ... someone who moved, with the dog. Dog gets away and looks for old home, it happens.

Question though, a dog doesn't get to be as skinny as Whisper over night. If she's been away from her family for a long time, will she even remember them? She now knows and trusts you, knows she's loved and cared for. Will it not be a more human-selfish thing for the old owner to want her back?
Old March 20th, 2008, 08:22 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If the dog has been wondering since last May then it could be that skinny.

What if Sable was found and was that skinny and the people who found her thought they shouldn't return her because she may have been abused by Shirley?? That would be a horrific mistake made by the founders. We shouldn't assume.

Melinda, is there anyway for you to check to see if this possible new owner was actively looking for her dog last year as Sarah has suggested?

Also, do you think you will be able to tell if Whisper fears/excited to see the original owner if indeed the microchip thing works out?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 20th, 2008, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Has this person told you what her name was? If so have you tried it? It's amazing, but dog's do remember.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

That would be an idea, but if they are bad memories ... ? And if you're going to end up keeping her and you don't like the old name

Tough situation, I'm glad it's not me who has to make that decision, but I certainly wouldn't have left the poor animal outside to roam any longer just to keep from having to make such a decision!!

Is she chipped?????
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Senior Contributor

she sent a picture this morning (finally got her computer to cooperate) and it wasn't Whisper, I feel so bad getting her hopes up. I will make sure of the owner before I hand Whisper over, I had checked out this one already, she was still looking, occasionally, she had updated the info on the dog in Nov. o7, well on one page, and I did a search on her name and email and found her listed on the spca lost website in ottawa so I called ours and they said yes, she was on the list as still looking, I pray she finds her Dakota.
Old March 20th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

That poor lady :sad:. When is the SPCA doing the scan?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 20th, 2008, 05:50 PM

thank goodness she was found by some one like you.

One more possible senario. Years ago my sister had a wonderfull dobie and someone stole him out of the fenced yard. He was found months later in poor condition over 100 miles away. This was before microchipping. Luckily the people who found him wandering months later realized he must have had a good home at one point and searched for the orriginal owner. Apparently whoever broke into the fence just dumped him on the street miles from home.

Good luck with Whisper she's a luck dog.
Old March 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
banned user

Yes I know and I hate to admit, I had a cousin who took a dog from the Collingwood area where he was fishing back down towards Toronoto. His mom wouldn't let him keep the dog, so he just let him go. This was many years ago and I didn't learn of the story until years after it happened or I would have done something. There are all kinds of possibilities that could have happened and this dog may have someone looking for him but in the wrong place.

I have this awful feeling I am looking in the wrong place for Sable too.
Old March 21st, 2008, 08:49 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Any luck with the scan Melinda? and how is Whisper doing today?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I am so happy you found Whisper (what a great name!!) Unfortunately, we will never know her story and there are so many out there. It really makes me sad that animals are treated so badly.

I know it is not much, but thank you for being you. I totally understand what you are saying about being loved at one time. Hopefully, somehow this story gets back to them. Time will tell, however in the meantime she is on her way to a good life, whether with you or a hand picked new family.

Please keep us updated and if there is anything I can do to help I am in Ontario but not sure if I am near you.

Sylvia
Old March 21st, 2008, 12:27 PM

The most puzzling thing about this dog is the collar. How would the collar not be dropping off the dog when she is that starved? It also looks like it's in good shape, not used or raggedy looking. Wondering if she might have run from someone hoarding animals thinking they are giving them all a good home when in reality the dogs are starved and neglected. I have never in my life seen a dog in such sad shape. A puppy someone once loved who grew too big, the owners had no time for it, the dog didn't fit into their busy life anymore??? So many things to wonder about.
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

A little update, Whisper is doing wonderfully and has gained a whopping 4-5 pounds, you can actually see her filling out, I have finally discovered a flaw in the dog, she does not like my female, so I think if the owners are NOT found then she will have to go to a one dog home. She is just so darn loving!!!! No messes in the garage at all, she sleeps in her kennel (open door of course) waits to be let out to do her "duty", she (today first time) is eating puppy kibble and keeping it all down, no throwing up for 3 days so I think thats all over, I'm going to try to get her into the vets this week to be weighed and scanned, the lady from the spca never showed up, I know she is very busy as she is the only one for most of S.D.&G, thank you all for your kind words, but I'm telling you, NO one would have been able to turn her away....
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Melinda,thank's for keeping us updated
I am so glad she's getting better,I was soo hoping Whisper would be the long lost dog of that lady,but it was not to be.:sad:
Old March 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
A little update, Whisper is doing wonderfully and has gained a whopping 4-5 pounds, you can actually see her filling out, I have finally discovered a flaw in the dog, she does not like my female, so I think if the owners are NOT found then she will have to go to a one dog home. She is just so darn loving!!!! No messes in the garage at all, she sleeps in her kennel (open door of course) waits to be let out to do her "duty", she (today first time) is eating puppy kibble and keeping it all down, no throwing up for 3 days so I think thats all over, I'm going to try to get her into the vets this week to be weighed and scanned, the lady from the spca never showed up, I know she is very busy as she is the only one for most of S.D.&G, thank you all for your kind words, but I'm telling you, NO one would have been able to turn her away....
The SD&G is where I got my absolute precious Jasper (named Autorious by the shelter) from a year ago. Yes, they are very busy.
I am so glad to hear Whisper is doing well. Do you think it is possible that Whisper may have some issues because she is protective of her food or had to fight other dogs away during her time as a stray?

You are such an for saving this poor dog, looks like it was only a matter of days for her.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 25th, 2008, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

ok, here is where we stand. *drum roll* Whisper went to the vets to be weighed and scanned....I thought.....3-7 pounds....would you believe she has almost doubled!!!! she is almost 40 pounds, (wouldn't stay still to get an accurate reading) the scale went from 40-42 pounds, now we slow down on the feeding so she'll even out and muscle up,she looks so good, the daughter and I will take pics of her after without her sweater. She barked at each and every dog that came in (at the vets) and only if a human was paying her attention would she stop barking. I called Shannon(my dogs trainer) and we are starting her in doggie daycare 1/2 days next week, she will start with letting one of her dogs interact with her under her watchful eye, then add her other one...then finally all 4 of her dogs, if all goes well she will be put in with all the daycare for the half days, so we'll know exactly how she is with all types of dogs, neutured males, small dogs , large dogs etc. So of course it was off to the vet again for the second time yesterday to get her shots so she can safely be around the others. So hold your breath, oh and no microchip, darn, so it's in the paper for 3 days as "found"....then in about 2-3 weeks I can hopefully start looking for her forever home, I just hope we get her use to other dogs or I'm afraid it will be harder to find her a home. She is such a cuddle bum, I lay on her bed with her and she puts her head on your chest to be loved, so if any of you can think of a worthy home for her...please email me.
Old March 25th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

No microchip:sad:, Gaining weight wahoo. Are you going to consider other papers, such as Ottawa, Brockville and into Quebec just in case this dog has travelled a distance from his home?

It is hard to tell from pictures, but Whisper's fur looks fairly healthy. Could that mean that the weight loss was quick and not a gradual starvation?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 25th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm in the midst of registering her as "found" at all the humane societies, brockville, Prescott, already did ottawa
Old March 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

her skin is dry, but the hair is coming back really nice and shiny, DOES that mean a rapid weight loss???
here are some updated pics if you'd like to see them, I wanted to show her out walking on the weekend, she loves tracking the deer, we field/swamp walk twice a day, three times if it's not too dark when I'm done working, the ones without the sweater were taken today, notice the back on her, it's filling in slowly *S*

and finally (hope I didn't overload you ) the "I'm so beautiful and proud" pose