Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 4th, 2006, 08:15 PM

How do you stop marking/spraying in the house?

Hi all,

My pomeranian Moose started marking in the house about two months ago. A little before he turned one. I thought at first maybe he was just loosing some of his potty training but now he is lifting his leg in very specific spots around my house! Any suggestions? I have tried telling him no when I catch him and ignoring him for ten minutes to let him know he is doing something wrong. I also praise him every time he goes potty outside or on his piddle pad. Thanks!

Last edited by PomPom; March 4th, 2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old March 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Before offering suggestions, we need to know if Moose is neutered?
Old March 4th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

try a belly band! i have 2 boys m. min pins that mark little buggers, the belly band helps !they do not like to pee on them selfs hope this help and good luck.
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:00 PM

No, I can't seem to get my husband to agree with me on getting him nuetered. He wanted to breed him cause he is good tempered, and looks great. I don't really want to breed him in the first place since I kinda feel weird pimping out my dog. I think it would help with the peeing and with him trying to occasional hump other dogs at the dog park. Eek! but I don't know if it would really change the behavior since he has been doing it now for about 2 and 1/2 month. Would neutering actually help at this piont? Thanks!
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

yes fixing him would sure help:king:
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:12 PM

the marking may continue after neutering but it is much much easier to train him to stop if he is neutered.
the world really doesn't need more puppies and there are health concerns for your boy remaining intact. tell your husband that.....
Old March 5th, 2006, 02:50 PM

What kind of issues can he have healthwise from not being nuetered if I am more specific it will help. : ) What training can be done as far as the marking goes? I currently tell him no show it to him and ignore him for ten minutes when I catch him or when I find a puddle. Thanks for the info so far!
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:09 PM

Health issues can include cancer of any of the reproductive organs (testes especially). Neutering greatly reduces the risk of prostate cancer too.
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:30 PM

thanks! Okay nother question? what would happen if I bring in another male pom (nuetered) currently doesn't spray. I am thinking of adopting a rescue pom who is very very sweet little guy. Would moose's spraying cause him to spray too? What are some problems I might want to look out for with them both being male around the same age? Moose has never shown any agressions so far towards other dogs even if they growl or bark at him.
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:36 PM

If the other male is dominant, they could end up in a spraying contest... But if he's submissive, he might not do it. Dogs tend to pick up bad habits from each other...
Old April 9th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Here's an update on Moose's spraying. Still not nuetered but he's not marking my house since we got Sonic! Hooray! I think Sonic is the dominant dog and he was already fairly well potty trained when we got him. He has had a few accidents but I think he is still getting used to the house he peed on the bed last night Yikes! but he can't get off the bed so I think it was more he just had to go not because of marking. I stopped him and took him outside were he went quite a bit more. I guess he didn't go when my husband took him out shortly before. Moose has also been going outside only as far as peeing goes. He still uses his piddle pads for poo. I wish I could move that outside too, but that might be a while longer. I think I lucked out. Does anyone have any opinions on vacectomy's versus neutering for dogs?
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM

To me, a vasectomy is a waste of time. Sure, you don't get females preggers (which is always a great thing), but what's the benefit for you? I mean, you pay for it, why not get less marking, less smelly urine and a less confrontational dog at the same time? Neutering is the way to go if you ask me.