Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old July 30th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Info please re: Pitbull Ban in ON

I was contacted by a gentleman from TO who is interested in my pitbull that is in urgent need of foster/permanent home. According to him, the ban is only that they have to be muzzled, must be sterilized/microchipped/vaccinated, on a leash, etc... I heard after the ban went into effect, you could no longer adopt a pibtull in Ontario.

Does someone have the correct info? He told me he would check on his end, as he is sure you can still adopt, but from what I've seen of the Pit rescues in ON, I had understood you could no longer adopt a pit in Ontario. Only those who already had could keep their dog...

Thanks to anyone out there who knows the truth and can enlighten me.
Old July 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a link I posted about the ban a while ago.

It will tell you everything....

http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...fty.asp#TOC_03
Old July 31st, 2005, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

It makes me wonder why he would go to Montreal when there are so many in urgent need in Ontario.
Old August 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM

Pitbull ban

Thanks for the info. I guess the ban takes effect as of Aug. 29th. Anyhow, I have received two more calls for Rocky, I should receive the applications tomorrow and this guy did not get back to me yet.

LL1, I had the same question for him, but to clarify, he did not come to Montreal to get a pitbull, but rather saw the poster of Rocky on the street as he is in Montreal right now. He works for a big computer firm and travels 5-6 times a year to Montreal. He also was under the impression (rightly so) that the right to get a pitbull was still there, and when I brought up all the pitbulls in Ontario they are shipping down here and trying to save, he was surprised. In his mind, all the ones in shelters would have the right to be adopted out, no matter the time as they are "existing" pitbulls in Ontario... I can kind of see his train of thought, some people just don't know what really goes on. Obviously he saw the picture, it caught his attention, but this was not a planned thing where he was coming to Montreal to get a pit.

But it's looking pretty good for Rocky. I plastered Montreal with posters of him today, and so far it's giving me good results. Will let you know how it goes for him. I am still looking for a foster home (hint hint..), but so far we're making the best of it... If he gets adopted by the end of this week, we could manage till then. Go see his new picture on my site, I had to change it he is just so adorable. This was taken today, he is the "vicious" dog the SPCA wanted to kill. She wanted to take pictures of him sleeping with the cat, but the batteries on the camera died. He is the sweetest thing. I would show my teeth too if I came in and heard all these dogs crying bloody murder in a stinky jail, and guys came at me to pick me up and do God knows what. Wouln't you?

Thanks again mona_b for the info, let's cross our fingers for Rocky and hope he finds a good home soon...
Old August 1st, 2005, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

LRM,where is your site???Or are you not allowed to show it here??I would love to see little Rocky :love:
Old August 1st, 2005, 04:20 PM

Rocky

I guess I can show my site, if not the admin will remove it..... I have 2, one is my own, and one is my new petfinder site.

www.sophiesdogadoption.com
www.sophie.petfinder.com
Old August 2nd, 2005, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I'd ask the Ontario pit rescues just to be sure there is not another reason why he is thinking of adopting in Montreal.
Old August 3rd, 2005, 12:14 AM

Pitbull ban

Well, he never got back to me anyway....
Old November 29th, 2009, 12:13 AM
boubou

Well, I know this is an old thread, but I need help here...we have an American Bulldog cross who has cropped ears and resembles a pitbull. A wonderful family, just perfect, wants to drive 12 hours to adopt him. I'm really worried about the ban...I know it's illegal to import any dog ressembling a Pitbull, but if he's registered as an Am. Bulldog, do you think we could have problems? If so, could they confiscate the dog on the spot and euthanize him??
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
Well, I know this is an old thread, but I need help here...we have an American Bulldog cross who has cropped ears and resembles a pitbull. A wonderful family, just perfect, wants to drive 12 hours to adopt him. I'm really worried about the ban...I know it's illegal to import any dog ressembling a Pitbull, but if he's registered as an Am. Bulldog, do you think we could have problems? If so, could they confiscate the dog on the spot and euthanize him??
According to the link posted above in the FAQ's http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.o...fty.asp#TOC_15

Quote:
2. Is my dog a pit bull?

Under the amendments to DOLA, pit bull is defined as:

A pit bull terrier
A Staffordshire bull terrier
An American Staffordshire terrier
An American pit bull terrier
A dog that has an appearance and physical characteristics substantially similar to any of those dogs.
I know it is so hard to find adopters for all the dogs in rescue right now :sad: but honestly I wouldn't risk it Even if the dog is not a pitbull just kind of looks like one it could be euthanized :sad:

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:08 AM
-

Isn't it only Ontario that has the ban? Although I think maybe parts of Montreal do as well.

Boubou, pm BenMax and I'm sure she will be able to help you with information.
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:46 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boubou View Post
As long as it's written on both the adoption contract and vaccination certificate naming the breed as an American Bulldog cross

There are a few districts in Montreal that ban pitbulls but it's not enforced
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Rainbow - we spoke yesterday.

The facts are as such since I am actively assisting certain rescues in Ontario with pitbulls or those that 'resemble' or have any 'characteristics of that of a Amstaff, pitbull, pitbull mixes (which could actually be a boxer mix)' etc:

In order to keep a pitbull or the 'likes' of a pitbull you must PROVE that the dog is over 3 years of age and grandfathered in Ontario. A vet certificate means absolutely nothing. The only documentation that will secure in Ontario province that the dog is an American Bulldog is through breeders of reputable nature indicating that the dog is infact an American Bulldog.

I will give you an example of what I went through about 1 year ago:

Animal control got a complaint that a pitbull was on a balcony of an apartment. The dog was a 9 year old female mix Boxer. When I was contacted, I spoke with the AC to try and negotiate and secure the dog to the owner. AC asked me to PROVE that the dog was a boxer X and also PROVE that the dog was 9 years of age. I contacted the vet and acquired all vet documentation that stated the dog was a Boxer X Pitbull of 9 years of age. Since I satisfied the AC's request, I 'thought' we covered all basis. I was then asked to PROVE that the dog lived in Ontario of 9 years. This was impossible to prove as the owner just moved into the apartment 2 years before getting the dog from an abusive home.

The end result was that I was given 48 hours to remove the dog from the province of Ontario and bring to Quebec or the dog was to be PTS. It is equally important to state that this dog had no history of undesirable behaviour, no incident of aggression, not free at large nor disturbed the neighbours. Infact, AC did tell me that she was very sweet and greated them with 'KISSES'.

It depends on the AC in the end. They have the right to go into your home and decide the fate as to whether a dog is a pitbull or the likes of those banned. Some AC are not as 'diligent' as others and would have been satisfied that the dog in question was a boxer mix followed by the proof provided.

In the end, if AC want a dog PTS or out of the province - it will happen.

I have worked endlessly with Ontario in regards to this subject and to be very honest - I would not risk having this dog sent to Ontario based on the personal experience that I have had as well as the rescues or shelters in Ontario that contact me. I am also in contact with Pitbull advocates in Ontario who have educated me extensively on this subject matter over the years.

Bottom line - if the dog has a minimal resemblance of that of the banned breeds - DON'T risk it. Even a DNA test is not sufficient enough.
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:07 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
As long as it's written on both the adoption contract and vaccination certificate naming the breed as an American Bulldog cross

There are a few districts in Montreal that ban pitbulls but it's not enforced
GG being from Ontario i can't begin to tell you how wrong you are on this one. The powers that be have no clue what a pit bull is, they have a list that could fit any number of dogs. Dogs have been confiscated papers or no and euthenized including boxers, Caine's, dogo's etc. They don't care what papers you have because they are under the impression that hmm documents can be forged.
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
GG being from Ontario i can't begin to tell you how wrong you are on this one. The powers that be have no clue what a pit bull is, they have a list that could fit any number of dogs. Dogs have been confiscated papers or no and euthenized including boxers, Caine's, dogo's etc. They don't care what papers you have because they are under the impression that hmm documents can be forged.
You are absolutely correct Aslan. Adoption papers from a shelter or rescue for that matter will not protect the dog in question if AC or other agents are called in to take matters into their hands if they were called upon to do so. No short fur, stocky, wide headed, short snouted dogs are safe in Ontario. Heaven forbid be brindled!
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Thank you for this info. I didn't realize the verdict of "Can a pit bull be identified" court case was appealed pushing it back to the original ban of 2005 There's what at least 25 purebreeds of dogs that have similar appearance & characteristics of that of a pit bull? Gawd help all the rescues that take in anything bigger then a shih tzu or poodle

At times I want to run out of Quebec as fast as I can ... then maybe not :sad: I've always had a soft spot for pit x's however I fear I'd be spending my life in court whether it be because of the general mentality or the ones' with power just awful :sad:

Sorry BouBou if you read my reply. Good luck with finding another home for this American Bull Dog X Could you crosspost a photo and bio here maybe others involved in rescue could help?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:57 AM
Senior Contributor

I would say it depends on what city you live in, right now on kijiji there are three litters of pitbullX pups up for adoption, under the city law because of my business I am not allowed certain breeds of dogs in my home, thanks to my vet my last dog had that "breed" eliminated from her records. I've seen many pitbull pups at the office when Ive gone and when asked the breed to the owners they say "real breed or written breed" *L* we have tons of "american bull dog mixes" here *L* we also have a fireman and a cop each with a 1-3 yr old purebred pitbull (with papers) who join us at our unofficial dog park, no muzzels, no leashes. You see pitbulls being walked in town with just a leash, no muzzels, as of yet only one person has received a warning since the ban came into effect in my city that I know of, and believe me, she deserved it, downtown on a busy day with her dog off leash allowing it on the highway....., he now lives quite happily in the country, she willingly found him another home. Anyways, thats just in my little city, other places I understand go by the book.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:12 AM
-

I don't understand Melinda why people would set their dog up for failure :sad:
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

well, this girl is disabled, not mind wise...but she thinks the world owes her anyways, and bragged about how no law would affect her, I once asked her if she loved her dog and when she replied yes, I asked her, they why aren't you following the rules/laws? IF the spca decides to remove your dog from you, by law they are not allowed to adopt it out, if you loved your dog you would follow the law but keep fighting to get it reversed. I was never so thrilled as when she called me to ask to help get her dog adopted out to a new home away from the city streets
Old December 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I don't understand Melinda why people would set their dog up for failure :sad:
Because they don't give a rats behind...They know about the ban..But they also know that it's not being "policed".So they are not getting caught.There is not enough bylaw officers out there to go searching.

I'm seeing pups here, and adults that are leashed but not muzzled...
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post
Because they don't give a rats behind...They know about the ban..But they also know that it's not being "policed".So they are not getting caught.There is not enough bylaw officers out there to go searching.

i cannot agree more. as much as i hate to see a ban on any breed of dogs, it breaks my heart that people do not follow the law - no matter how ridiculous it is! i do not have a pitt, but if i did, i would certainly follow the rules and regulations simply based on the chance that my beloved pet could be taken away

i work for the local police and can honestly say that we do not police such matters - however, that being said, if someone called to report it, we have to attend. so it is not even just the police and animal control one must be concerned with...its often the nosey busy body neighbour that needs to be worried about
Old December 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b View Post

I know that Mona, I see it around here too and for the life of me do not understand why ignorants' would set their dog up for failure...a few months ago I went into a Timmies (I was driving my daughter's Jimmy) the girl behind the counter asked me where the bumper sticker came from "My Ontario includes Pitbulls"...she then proceeded to tell me that she had 2 Pitties and was waiting for the ban to be overturned so that she could breed her dogs

You are right budgrrl....one nosey person is all it takes