Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 20th, 2006, 10:37 PM

Seeing things/Flybiting

I am not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, so please let me know if it isn't.

The other morning I woke up to find my littlest sheltie, Mila (1 year old last week) staring wildly around the room, like she was watching a fly, but I didn't see anything. Then she decided to chase this fly, spinning and biting at it. I thought it was weird, but maybe she could see something I couldn't. Then she did it again, about half an hour later, biting and spinning after this "bug". She was ok for a few hours at my mom's, but when we got home, I was really concerned. I was making Liver Cookies, and she was too preoccupied trying to catch her "bug" to pay any attention to me and the freshly cooked liver, and normally she is the biggest food hound you can find!

I called the vets and they told me to bring her in immediately, as they figured she was having a "focal seizure". They want to put her on anti-seizure meds to see if it helps her.

My concern is that when I read up on focal seizures, and fly-biting, it sort of describes how Mila is acting, but isn't. They say that seizures normally happen when the dog is being calm, or resting. She will be playing with a toy, or Lexi, and then stop, and start chasing her bug again. If she is focused on something, she doesn't seem to see her "bug". She really only seems to see her "bug" in our upstairs bathroom and hallway and our downstairs hallway and rec-room.

If you call her name, or throw a ball, she stops chasing her 'bug" and will look at you or come to you, and will chase a ball or toy, and seemingly forget about her "bug". When we are out of the house, (ie backyard or someone else's house) she seems to have no problems. Also, when she is sleeping, there is no problem. The other issue associated with fly-biting, is licking their front legs and paws. She does not show any signs of this at all.

So, if anyone knows what this could be, or this sounds familiar, or even has some other questions I can ask my vet, it would be greatly appreciated! I really don't want her on anti-seizure meds, cause she seems ok when you can keep her attention, and I want to do obedience and agility with her, and I have seem some of the effects of anti-seizure meds, it isn't pretty! Also, if it is hard on the liver, it could affect her length of life if it works the liver hard.

So, any suggestions would be wonderful! I am sorry this is such a long thread.

Tracey